“Perfect vibe for a summer evening”
Review of Las Iguanas - Clifton - CLOSED

Las Iguanas - Clifton
Cuisines: Brazilian, Latin, Mexican, South American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2016

After a day exploring Bristol, we headed along Whiteladies Road to pick somewhere to eat. Maybe it was the Olympics in Rio, maybe just the pleasant summer evening and continental feel Bristol has... but I had a real hankering for South American food and cocktails. Of course, Las Iguanas! Did not disappoint. A few refreshing Caipirinhas later, and we were tucking into our choice of South American dishes.

Dadinhos - a Brazilian bar snack of crispy smoked cheese cubes - OMG what's not to love? Dipped into chilli jam. Husband had skewers of spiced meat - also nice but was happy with my choice. He had the fish stew -MOQUECA DE PEIXE - for main course - looked really delicious. I went for the beef burrito and opted for a side order of fried plantain. Feels so naughty having banana fritters with your meal - but so yummy!

We didn't have room for pud, so moseyed on down the road to look for a pub I remembered visiting a few years ago. The service was good, the bill was very reasonable, I would definitely go back to Las Iguanas for another meal à deux or with a larger group.

Reviewed August 11, 2016

Been popping into Las iguanas for a few years now.....tapas is always really good and I have enjoyed the steak. But went there last night and everything seemed offf....the chicken wings, usually really good werent browned enough and had soft flabby skin clinging to them so made it really unpleasant to eat. I ordered one of the new items on the menu Moqueca De Peixe, which is prawn and white fish in a coconut sauce served with rice on the side. First of all the prawns of which were very few were overcooked and I didnt see any white fish in there! It was mostly coconut gravy. The spring onion rice was just plain rice with a couple of sad looking small plantains on the side, very disappointing. My dinining companions ordered the sea bass and that looked good. On the postive side, the staff are always friendly and our server was lovely. But I would not recommend this dish..its just not value for money.

Reviewed August 8, 2016

Me and my family visited on Saturday 6th August & had a lovely evening. It wasn't busy when we arrived but was starting to fill up when we left at about 7.30pm it's a very small/thin restaurant so there isn't much room to move around but it only adds to the the cosy Latin experience.
We were dining with a disabled person who didn't actually need to use any toilet facilities but I didn't see a disabled toilet as the others are located at the top of some very steep steps so if you have someone who needs access I'd look online or give the restaurant a ring first,
The staff were very welcoming & accompdating + very speedy in their service, we were brought water without even asking which was greatly appreciated, we had a lovely young woman serve us who was attentive,friendly & chatty. We ordered probably 10-15 minute after we arrived and I have to say the food came astoundingly fast, it was probably in front of us within 5-10 minutes, piping hot and deliciously fresh.
We visit las iguanas all the time and usually go to the one located near Cribbs, the service at the Clifton branch was much more attentive & like I said there was practically no wait for food unlike Cribbs where we've had to wait over 45 minutes.
Overall this is a really relaxed, friendly & atmospheric place with good food & food drinks. A little st the top end of chain restaurant price range but definitely worth a visit,

Reviewed August 4, 2016 via mobile

I enjoyed our dinner which was well served, tasty and set in a pleasant restaurant.
My only problem would be a very loud voiced neighbour who thankfully left midway through the meal.

Reviewed July 23, 2016

We stumbled across this restaurant while visiting Clifton for the weekend. Loved the food, the atmosphere and the service was excellent

Date of visit: July 2016