“Still a great option in Bristol”

San Carlo - Bristol
Ranked #52 of 1,710 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: San Carlo is a popular and award-winning Italian dining institution in the heart of Bristol's bustling Corn Street. The restaurant's lavish dining room – with tiled floors, neutral décor and electric blue accents – has a unique Mediterranean ambience and is always busy with a vibrant local crowd. The buzzy atmosphere, bold flavours and warm hospitality at San Carlo combine to provide an ideal setting for group parties and corporate events. We love the modern yet authentic seafood-led menu, and favourite dishes include the spaghetti with shellfish, garlic, chilli and fresh basil in a tomato sauce; the classic tuna carpaccio; and the traditional spiced Italian sausages cooked with Borlotti beans and served with grilled polenta.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Went for a pre theatre meal as we have done on a few occasions. Still a high standard place, from the decor, attention on arrival and departure, and from the Italian waiters. They happily chat away to each other in Italian, which we think helps create a unique sphere, they seem to really enjoying being there and serving you. Food was also very good indeed, very generous portions, well priced. The spagetti in black ink with sliced scallops and small capers was our stand out dish, fabulous. Will be going back on our next visit to Bristol, as cannot think we would do better anywhere else.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)

998 - 1,002 of 1,344 reviews

Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I went to San Carlo for the first time as part of a group of friends for dinner on a Saturday evening in May 2013. The restaurant was very busy, but there were plenty of staff around to provide prompt and friendly service. However, the tables are pretty packed in and the place felt very crowded and noisy - not what one would expect in a quality restaurant charging these sort of prices.
However we were very satisfied with the quality of the food - the chicken liver starter and the antipasto romano starter were delicious. For the main course (smallish portions, we thought) the pasta dish I chose and the escalop of veal were both excellent - but for the relatively high prices, we were disappointed to have to pay extra for vegetables.
One bottle of house wine cost £18 - an excessive price for average quality wine.
Our food cost was £63 including a 10% service charge - for 2 starters, 2 main courses and 2 portions of vegetables.
We have eaten as well at less crowded places in Bristol for a lower cost.
We probably won't bother again, unless we see a meal voucher offer for this place and would then go on a quieter evening, drink water and enjoy the terrific food.

2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We didn't book and got seated in about give minutes. We were looking at the menu to choose and felt very rushed as the waiter. Came 3times to take the order.it was 9pm on a Wednesday night so I don't believe they needed back the table. Historically I always have the deep fried goats cheese which has always been divine .it was barely warm and therefore not as good as it was .my tagliatelle bolognese was ok tasted very processed , my partner enjoyed his lobster spaghetti but said his was tasting a little processed to. The disappointing thing is that we didn't once have a courtesy check throughout the entire meal ,
When I finished my starter I was still eating when the plate was taken away. ,as was my partners mains . We hot deserts which were ok nothing special , ice cream and a zambgloone and chic bomb , during this the bill was put on the table with no offer of coffee. Oh and the waiting staff kept walking up and down the aisles staring at diners mr included which felt uncomfortable.
I begrudgingly paid the 9 pounds service charge added to the bill , don't think I'll return San Carlo how the mighty have fallen .

4  Thank denalvis
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I had supper at San Carlo on May Day bank holiday. I ordered the taglioni with scampi as, in the past, I've found their seafood dishes to b packed with flavour. The menu said that it was in a 'lobster bisque.' It was very disappointing, just some scampi in a plain and tasteless tomato sauce. Not a hint of lobster, wine or anything else. It cam with a mixed salad that was meant to have their house dressing but there was no dressing, just oil and vinegar on the table which I had to add myself.

Service was very efficient as usual, but I think the food has definitely gone downhill. The previous time I visited I ordered the crab ravioli which was also poor, so I don't think this latest experience was a one off.

The toilets were also pretty disgusting. Paper on the floor, one very dirty, and areas around the washbasins had not been wiped. I mentioned this to the manager on leaving.

2  Thank Anna R
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been here on dates, with my family and with friends. Every time I get great food, excellent service and a genuinely good time. I wish I still lived in Bristol so I could come back more often!