“Average chain hotel, fine for business”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed June 14, 2014

One night stay here on business, all fine. Room had no remote control or hairdryer but this was quickly remedied by a quick call to reception.
Comfortable bed, basic room amenities. Would have been nice to have water in the fridge and some type of shower gel, basics for a 4 star hotel really.
Plus points for cheery, helpful staff and great location; few minutes walk to excellent harbourside restaurants Cherry Duck Bistro and Riverstation.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
MercureBristolHH, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa.
My apologies about the missing hairdryer and remote control, however I am pleased to hear that the reception rectified this immediately. Shower gel is a standard in all of our rooms and should have been there, I will speak to our housekeeping manager regarding this. In regards to the mineral water, I am pleased to inform you that all our Privilege Rooms come with complimentary mineral water and enhanced bathroom amenities.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Bristol in the near future.

Karin Snoek - Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,780)

Reviewed June 11, 2014

It was another great stay at this lovely hotel. The welcome was pleasant as usual, a quick drink in the bar and then the really spacious room and comfy bed. Breakfast was good and hot, something I hope for in a hotel. It was a very comfortable stay and I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your very positive feedback following your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

I spend most of the working week in hotels all over the country. I have been to this hotel on a regular basis for 2 years averaging I suppose 1 or 2 nights per week. I've seen staff come and go but without doubt I can honestly say the rooms, food, service but mostly the staff are brilliant. On the very rare occasion something goes wrong it is rectified without fuss or delay. Just had scallops as a starter and rump of lamb as the main course, both cooked to perfection. Couldn't miss this opportunity to praise the place.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear George T,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stays at Mercure Bristol Holland House. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous ones.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had the unfortunate experience of checking into the hotel late on a Sunday evening to find it had been overrun by 250 holidaymakers whose 2 flights had been delayed.

While I accept these holidaymakers needed somewhere to stay overnight I do not think any consideration was given to the impact on other guests, otherwise this group would have been split between two or more hotels.

My suspicion is there is a real risk this situation could occur again as commercial considerations, in a competitive market, will hold sway. The fact the Bar had one of its best evening’s ever in terms of revenue is of no comfort to me.

Guests considering staying at this hotel in the winter months do also need to consider they might have the pleasure of ‘Deal or No Deal’ contestants as fellow guests. While I have no issue with these guests as individuals, as a group they take over the bar, re-arrange the furniture and generally get increasingly louder as they try and talk over each other. This comment has been included to illustrate the mean thread of commercial considerations being the driver.

Anyway onto my experience itself.

My original plan was to have a quite drink and a snack after arriving at 2100. This wasn’t possible as the bar appeared to be being used as an over spill from the restaurant with all of the seats suitable for eating being adorned with hand written reserved signs. While some appear to have been vacated the amount of debris wouldn’t have made it pleasant to sit down in any event. In my experience the kitchen consistently delivers high quality food but can struggle even when it is moderately busy. Consequently I didn’t bother to ask how long it might take to be fed, assuming the stretched bar staff could find the time to wipe a table.

Latter point is interesting as the bar was quieter when I returned from dining at a local restaurant. Despite this I still had to sit and enjoy my welcome drink at a sticky table – clearly some of the extensive bar takings had been spilt.

Things weren’t as bad the next morning at Breakfast although I have to stay I wasn’t impressed with being directed to an Urn and Box of Tea Bags to make my own Tea. To be fair it was nicely described as the ‘Tea Station’. My personal expectation in a 4 star hotel is for my tea to be delivered to my table in a tea pot not for me to be putting a tea bag in a cup and using an Urn.

Final negative points is dirty laundry in the corridor at 1730 on Monday and the state of the table top in my room. On the latter point I know refurbishment is due. However, I think the table is better placed at the local tip rather than in a 4 Star Hotel Room.

There is a positive and that is the Staff. While I have to admit I wasn’t a happy guest when I checked in it was clear the staff were doing their best in difficult circumstances. The receptionist when I checked-out was a little bit surprised when she got a negative to the question as to whether I had enjoyed my stay. A very polite and professional response followed and my newspapers were knocked off my bill.

If it hadn’t been for the staff this would have been a one star review.

Room Tip: Views of the car park aren't great and best to avoid being over the air conditioning units on to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your detailed feedback following your visit to the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa.

The comments are most comprehensive and each point will be discussed with the Departmental Managers concerned. Please accept my sincere apologies for these service issues. All of which will be resolved moving forward.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Having returned to the hotel after a long day at Grillstock festival, I was delighted to see that at 1am the bar was still in full force. Despite the bar being out of stock for my first two choices of drink, the Barman made me his own, extremely satisfying concoction which definitely did the trick. Nick provided me with good quality conversation throughout the night and dealt brilliantly with a few troublesome members of one of the many hen parties at the bar, he is a brilliant young man and is a credit to the company.

In addition, I was pleased with this morning's breakfast, it provided me with that much-needed hangover cure and set me up for another day at Grillstock. Cheers!!!!!

H

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank HugoBeaver

Dear HugoBeaver,

Thank you for your recent review and praise of Nick our barman. I know he will be delighted to read such positive feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to share this with me. I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We paid for an executive room and were impressed with the size of the room and the bathroom with a roll top bath!!!!! The service was standard, got told on check in that I hadn't paid for the room even though I had paid in person the day before, had to wait for about 30 minutes before someone else to confirm it had been paid......
Breakfast was excellent, a large range of food and drinks to choose from.
The swimming pool was small but nice to use.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank DaniKimmings

Dear DaniKimmings,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa.

I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with your room, the pool and the breakfast. Please be assured I will review the payment issue with the team and take the appropriate actions where needed.