“a solid 3.5 star”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Bristol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I will start out by stating that I only used the spa and pool, we did not stay in the hotel.

We booked a spa day for 2 through last minute.com. We booked for a 25 minute back massage, afternoon tea and use of the pool and facilities.
The spa is so lovely, can't rate it highly enough to be honest. We were the only ones there as it was a weekday and they couldn't do enough for us. The staff were so friendly and as we were the only ones in the offered us further treatments at 30% discount which was great value so we added some extra treats to our spa experience.
The two therapists we had were excellent, I had Jodie and she was brilliant. She was so professional and her massage was one of the best I've ever had. Being heavily pregnant I was concerned about going for a massage but she made me very comfortable and the spa has an excellent mum to be package which was a really refreshing change as most other spas in the area couldn't accommodate me due to being pregnant.

The hotel afternoon tea was lovely, really enjoyed that and the staff were great.
Only criticism of the hotel is that the pool was closed for cleaning when we got there despite them saying it was open. We had the pool to ourselves mostly but it was not too peaceful when a group of men came in and we had to listen to them shouting and swearing for over an hour. It was great when they left but as there are no staff or lifeguards around no-one was there to do anything.

Overall a great day and great value, next time I think we will just stick with the spa and not bother with the pool at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments with regards your recent visit to Spa naturel. I am most pleased to see how much you enjoyed your treatments, I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team. Due to the pool size and regulations, we are only required to have a pool responder on duty along with monitoring with security cameras; I apologise if you felt this area was supervised inadequately on your visit. The pool is also used for hotel guests as well as spa guests therefore I’m afraid we are unable to restrict use of these facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Rhea De Pee
Spa and Leisure Manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I recently stayed here when I was in the city for work. The check in was ok & the hotel looks much better on the inside than from the outside. I went to my room which was very nice although working at the desk & watching TV was out of the question given the layout. I settled in & ordered room service, here is the first thing that I found really annoying, having had a pie, cheeseboard & Guinness I was quite content until I found out post check out that there was a £5 tray service! On a £24 meal to pay 20% on top for someone to bring the tray to a room is extortionate and not something I have experienced elsewhere. At no point was this charge pointed out when ordering & if it was in the room service booklet then it was well hidden as I never spotted it.
The room was clean & the bed was comfortable my only other niggle was that I had no shower gel just 2 lots of shampoo & the toilet roll was down to about the last 20 sheets, with no spare!! Attention to detail seems lacking in places.
Breakfast was nice but expensive at £16.50 for a buffet style. Check out ok.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for your comments, they are very useful! Firstly I would like to address the tray charge - I am very sorry that this was not made clear for you and do completely understand. It is mentioned in the room service menu and we also add this to your bill which we present to you at your door for you to sign after we have given you your food. As for the shampoo and toilet roll - certainly no excuse! Attention to detail is vitally important and I do apologise that these details were overseen.
Regarding breakfast, I apologise once again - you were not informed of a great deal that we offer at reception, rather than £16.50 we offer breakfast at £10 if you order the night before.
Please do contact me on h6698-dm@accor.com should you hopefully stay with us again!
bridgend, mid Glamorgan
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I was concerned visiting the hotel after booking, when I read some not great reviews, we stayed march 8th for our 1st wedding anniversary, so wanted it to be special, we booked the privilege room, it was lovely and spacious very clean, huge bathroom, lovely big bath and double shower! The staff were very friendly, room service was very quick, the coffee machine didn't work for us so they brought us fresh coffee straight away and couldn't apologise enough! We went over to the spa which is separate part of hotel, very nice and relaxing there. Amazing massage i had pregnancy treatment and my husband had hot stone massage. Very happy! We went back to hotel for swim, not a huge pool and was a shame but no sauna or jacuzzi but the pool was boilng and steamy! And finally breakfast was faultless! So over all very happy!!! Hope this helps!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I am delighted to read that you were very happy with your stay; yes your comments really do help! Thank you very much for your review and please do visit us with the little one in the future!
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel and were given are hotel room number, we asked about the "spa" and was told we need to go back to reception for another key to enter the "spa". On entering the tired unkept door way we were greeted by a group of girls. After battling for a locker we were ready to enter the "spa". Needless to say I was less than impressed!, only for more groups of giggling screaming girls, only 3 lounge seats and a pool not much bigger than my bath!!! The noise echoed from the giggles & screams (I stayed 2 minutes). I've never stayed at a hotel that classed themselves as a "spa" when all they are offering is a very small pool! I would be hugely disappointed if I had purchased a treatment to then be faced with a very non relaxing pool with no other "spa" facilities :(

Stayed March 2014
I am sorry that you felt our 14 meter pool was too small for your personal preference; I can absolutely appreciate that it could have been overwhelming with a large group of people enjoying themselves.
In our Spa we offer a wide choice of relaxing and unwinding treatments and also a relaxation lounge. I do hope we can welcome you back some day in the future to provide you with genuine relaxing stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The standard in Mercure hotels is always very high and this is a fine example. There are two Mercure hotels in Bristol and this one is usually the less expensive with best prices for on-line booking. Excellent service at reception and at breakfast. The location is good for the harbour area, however you will need a cab to reach the city centre, but there are plenty of them. There is plenty of comfortable seating in the reception area which makes a nice meeting place. My room was spotlessly clean, very well furnished and with a modern spacious bathroom. There is a lovely spa and the swimming pool is nice to use. My only criticisms are that the large bedroom window overlooked other buildings but had no nets which meant that I had to close the curtains even in day time if I did not want people to see me. And my shower screen leaked which meant that i had to use my bath towel to mop the floor, which left me only a handtowel to dry myself. And my roomsafe had been left locked so i could not use it.
But i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Yes please do try us first! Thank you very much for a great headline! I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay but ofcourse offer my apologies that you had trouble with a leaky shower.

We delighted that you would consider to stay with us again on your next visit to Bristol!
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

The positives: Easy and informative check in, nice bar, decent swimming pool, spacious room and good location.

The not so positives: Tired looking room, the privilege offer gives you 6 cans of room temperature pop which aren't replenished and 6 cups of coffee, once drunk ours were replaced with the decaffeinated version however our dirty cups weren't replaced. We had one 'daily' newspaper out of 4 days. We weren't allowed an extra pillow so we had to share 3 wafer thin ones making sleeping quite uncomfortable, housekeeping couldn't give us one more. On one of our days our towels weren't replaced. The shower was not more than a trickle and a poor selection of TV channels available, less than freeview would give.

On the whole the stay was comfortable but lacked the attention to detail you'd expect for the price and from the brand.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for giving us the good and the bad - we really appreciate this! I would like to offer my apologies for the issues that you experienced within your room - certainly not our usual standard. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping manager for the appropriate action to be taken.
Attention to detail is a key factor when providing great services and I am sorry that a few things were missing,
I do hope that you will visit us again in the near future just so we can provide you with a genuine attention to detail experience!