“Christmas at the Mercure”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Yorkshire
“Christmas at the Mercure”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We came for 5 days at Christmas on a coach tour from Yorkshire. We had requested a front room top floor because we thought we were going to "The Bristol Hotel" (on the Quay) where we stayed before in a front room. However we were met on arrival and quickly got to our room, a top floor front room. The Mercure is not on the Quay and the front room was over the main Road. However the room was large with a large bathroom with bath and shower (unlike some of the other reviews who only had a shower). We were disappointed as the room was so dark (not so much a problem maybe if you are only staying one night). There were only tiny lights over the bed and tiny lights over the wardrobe doors in a corner near the bathroom door and a small lamp on the dressing table near the TV.There was a table and easy chairs but no lamp or any light to be able to sit and read in the evening. I requested some more light and was soon supplied by a small standard lamp which was very short on lead but we managed to get it fairly near the table to be able to read. Not really satisfactory if you are staying 5 days - in dark weather especially. Rooms definitely need more lights and lamps. Also the rooms could do with a more mirrors somewhere in the room. You have to walk back in the bathroom for a mirror if someone else is sitting using the dressing table mirror near the TV. The hotel staff were really great though and were so nice and polite and helpful and the food was fine (although some of the old folks were full of moans about the food and everything !). We do wonder though why the bar prices are so high ( as in other "hotels"). We only bought drinks once at the bar as the only sort of smooth beer ( not lager) was more than £4 per pint which is ridiculous and ofcourse meant that not many people were buying drinks in the bar and we never saw anyone buy a bottle of wine at £26 !!!! Why not lower prices and keep the bar busy ?? It's OK for business meetings and reps and Conferences etc when everything is charged to Expenses but normal people on short breaks will not pay those prices. They will manage without ! But maybe people from London or the South or Abroad would think the bar prices are OK ??? We went out to find a bar.
The pool was very nice but small and I was lucky and managed to go at the right time and had the pool to myself for a while but would not want to be in there if there were more than 3 or 4 people and definitely not if there were kids allowed in.

Room Tip: Friends who stayed at the back of the hotel said they got a very large room with 2 big twin beds so...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for staying with us during such a lovely time of the year! I shall share your kind words regarding staff as I am sure this will be a great encouragement for them, especially considering it was christmas! Just to let you know, our best rooms are at the front of the hotel, our king executive rooms, therefore I am very pleased to hear that you had one of these rooms to celebrate christmas in! Regarding our bar prices, we create these in comparison with other hotels as I am sure you may already know. Thank you once again for your feedback and please do visit us again next Christmas!
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Smart room with very comfortable bed. Shower only in bathroom. Not sure if this was mentioned at check in but may have liked the option of a bath. Had a great rate with breakfast. Decided to take breakfast in the room both days and there were minor irritation both morning as in not enough cutlery, no tea bags and not enough butter but generally the breakfast was good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at Mercure. I can confim that I shall be sharing your feedback with our room service department about the missing items as I do appreciate this makes a big difference to the service. I hope we shall have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future !
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I've stayed here over the past 4 months usually 2 or 3 nights per week. The rooms are large, bar and restaurant good value for a 4 star hotel. The one thing that is different is the staff. I spend a great deal of my time in hotels but I have never and I repeat never found a hotel with such pleasant and friendly staff. They are a credit to their employers. There are many names I could quote but Zowie is a shining example of customer focused staff, a pleasure to have met her and her colleagues. Without doubt I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank George T
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for your lovely feedback and of course for your continuing loyalty with Mercure! I shall certainly be sharing your comments with the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I recently purchased this voucher for a spa day with my friends and I am massively disappointed as the voucher was extremely misleading. It advertised a ‘Spa Pass for One with a £20 Treatment Voucher (£12)’. While the £20 treatment part was true and very nice – the facilities available certainly weren’t worth £32 like the voucher stated!!!

This could not have been further from a ‘spa day’ as was advertised:
“enjoy a full-day spa pass for one person, giving you access to a variety of facilities including an indoor swimming pool, fully equipped gym, and more”
and the lack of facilities was absolutely disgraceful for the price we paid. The hotel has a cheek to advertise it as a ‘full-day spa pass’ when all that was there was a small swimming pool (with kids swimming lessons going on) and a gym with not very many machines!

I have been to many hotels with spa passes and never been so disappointed and felt so ripped off. This is a shame because it taints the treatment side of the experience which was really good. It was the most awful ‘spa day’ I have ever been on and I will certainly not be going back to this hotel or any Mercure any time soon! I’m still in utter shock and disbelief that an establishment such as Mercure would advertise a day spa pass and not have basic spa facilities like a sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. I’ve also been to the Mercure in Cardiff with a voucher (£6 for 2 people!!) and this all of the aforementioned facilities! In future this hotel should make it clear exactly what people will (or will not) get for their money.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rmdivmanager, Operations Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
I would like to thank you and all of your friends for both contacting us directly individually and posting reviews on Trip Advisor. As you know, we are dealing with your comments via email at present.

I'm delighted that you and your friends were all happy with your treatments in the Spa as I would imagine that was the main purpose of your visit. I believe that the offer was for £20 of treatments plus use of the facilities all day for £12 per person? The offer covered all of our Spa's, 10 around the country, and therefore could not be specific about facilities as they vary by location. As you've mentioned Cardiff is a case in point.

I would like to assure you that we do not try to mislead anyone regarding our facilities in Bristol. For a City Centre 4* hotel we're very proud of them and are happy to tell everyone what we have here!

As I said above, I believe that our Spa Manager has been, or will be, in contact with you all regarding your comments, but once again thank you.

Nicholas Bees
Operations Manager
Exminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

A very pleasant stay to be had at the Mercure Bristol Holland House hotel, the location is great, a 15-20 minute stroll to the habourside and it's not too far from Bristol temple meads if you were travelling by train - would recommend a taxi though, there is a car park on site which cost £12 for 24 hours, not bad but worth bearing in mind if you book to stay here, but we had no trouble finding a space,

Check in was smooth and hassle free and our room was available early which was an absolute bonus, the ladies on reception were very polite and helpful.

Our room was very clean and comfortable, nice comfy bed, iron, trouser press and hair dryer were all available to use in the room too.

We used the limited bandwidth wifi which was free which is ok for a bit of social networking/browsing.

We didn't eat here so can't comment on the food.

I used the pool which was at a pleasant temperature and from what I could see the gym facilities look good.

I wouldn't mind trying the spa facilities if we stayed again as that looks impressive and would be a nice treat.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay with us! It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future - and remember to try out the spa and restaurant next time!
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Me and my 7 friends recently purchased this voucher. It says that as well as £20 off any treatment that it would cost £12 for ' a full-day spa pass for one person, giving you access to a variety of facilities including an indoor swimming pool, fully equipped gym, and more'. It says that use of these facilities would usually cost £32.
Due to: the usual high cost of the 'facilities'; the wording which says '..and more'; and the fact that the deal is called a 'Spa Pass' meant that when my friends and I realised there was only one small pool and a gym with 4 machines to use we were majorly disappointed. We presumed that if you usually expect your customers to pay £32 we would have access to not only a pool, but also a sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi too.

I have previously visited your Cardiff branch on a spa day using a voucher, and it had the facilities listed above, for which my friend and I paid £3 each for (without treatments).

As I said, I think that although you have been careful in the small print to not mention anything about what 'facilities' your hotel has, it is disgusting to charge the seven of us £12 each for the use of a tiny pool, which had child swimming lessons on at the time. We couldn't even all use the gym together because there weren't enough machines. The fact you would usually charge £32 is unbelievable and not even sure if this is true.

I have been to many hotels with spa passes and never been so disappointed and felt so ripped off. It's a shame because the treatment side of it was lovely. In future you should make it clear exactly what people will (or will not in this case) get for their money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends