“2 months and no complaints?”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“2 months and no complaints?”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was working in Bristol for 8 weeks and stayed here for 5 nights a week. I ate in the hotel most nights and never had a bad meal. If you choose to eat in your room the service is very quick but there is a £5 tray charge.

The entry level rooms are quiet and well appointed but if you can spare an extra £20 it's well worth upgrading to a "Privilege" room for a huge bath and espresso machine.

After reading other reviews I was concerned about parking but only once failed to get a space in the hotel car park when I got back at 9:30pm which wasn't a big deal as there is a cheap car park next door.

I would recommend the Mercure in Bristol for it's relaxing atmosphere and comfortable rooms but the best feature of this hotel is the friendly and professional staff. Nothing was ever too much trouble for them and I always received a warm welcome when checking in.

Room Tip: The rooms opposite the Church can get a little noisy when they're ringing the bells but it doesn...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, I am really glad to see that you enjoyed your long stay with us! I shall share your comments with the staff!
Please do visit us again when your next in Bristol!
Geust Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located in the city centre of Bristol. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel has a bar that serves food and a restaurant. It offers an excellent full-English breakfast buffet.
Staff are very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for the great title - we are certainly trying to be one of Bristol's best hotels!!
I do hope that you visit us again!
Carluke, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here instead of the usual Novotel as it was fully booked. The Mercure was very nice and modern. The rooms were clean and well appointed (though there was no bathtub). We made use of the swimming facilities which were perfectly adequate.

My only complaint, was the parking was woefully inadequate for a hotel of it's size. We parked initially to check in, then after leaving the car park to visit friends we were unable to re-enter it for the entire weekend, forcing us to park 1/2 mile away at Temple Meads station (which was cheaper anyway).

Room Tip: Take a Privilege room, they have a nicer view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad that you had the opportunity ( even if perhaps not by choice) that you were able to try a Mercure hotel. I can understand how a little frustrating it may have been to have had to park elsewhere and I am disappointed that you were not informed that you could have parked around the outside of the hotel.
Thank you for your feedback - should you stay with us again we would be more than happy to provide you a room with a bath!
Grosmont, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Was sadly disappointed by this hotel right from the start! None of our 6 rooms were ready for us to book in to on time (at 2pm!!). Eventually one room became available and we were all able to place our bags in that room until the rest were ready.
There was one inexperienced person working behind the bar, the service was so slow, not to mention the inconsistent pricing of the drinks!
I didn't have a treatment in the 'spa' however I did use the free facilities which consisted of a tiny claustrophobic swimming pool, no Jacuzzi, steam room or sauna! How on earth it can call itself a spa hotel I don't know?
Fortunately my group of friends were only using this hotel as base for the night. The bedroom was too hot, the air conditioning was feeble at best, and not very clean... finding spare change on the floor and a used wet wipe belonging to the previous occupant, and tea/coffee facilities not fully replenished! The breakfast was the highlight of the hotel... even though it was tepid at best.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback though I am greatly disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. We may not have a jacuzzi, steam room sauna, etc however at our Spa we do offer all the types of treatments one would expect to find- we also keep out leisure facilities open for twenty four hours, something we believe we are unique in! I do apologise that your room was not ready by the designated check in time of 2pm, Sometimes our guests may have later departures which would make it a little more difficult for us to have the rooms ready on time -though I do apologise that your room was not up to the four star level cleanliness that it should have been,
Thank you once again for your comments.
Tavistock, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I booked a night at the Mercure, Holland House Hotel last Friday. I was very impressed by the whole experience. I know Bristol very well, and it was a good location. The standard room was very good in size for a single traveller and the staff were friendly and helpful. Highly recommended for anyone not wanting to break the bank, but wanting a quality room and hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for recommending us as a quality hotel and thank you for your feedback! I do hope you visit us again soon.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

got this hotel on a last minute secret hotel deal as part of a surprise weekend away for my girlfriends birthday and it did not disappoint!the only downside was when we turned there was no record of my booking but it don't whose fault that was but it got us an upgrade to a nicer room an one with a view so wasn't all bad after the initial panic!!room was very nice and spacious only moan about the hotel was it wasn't as close to the shopping centre as I thought.But apart from that the hotel was great,had room service for dinner and that was very nice and then had the breakfast buffet in the morning which was also very nice and plentiful

Room Tip: go for a higher floor but for a lie in dotn have a room facing the church
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tushki88
I can imagine the panic you must have felt when being told you had no reservation - I do apologise for that but I am delighted we booked you in and upgraded you! I am glad to see you enjoyed the food and that you had a comfortable stay!
Wirral
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Great location close to shops, bars and river. The rooms are very comfortable though maybe a bit too hot and the air con didn't work too well. The staff had excellent customer service. The pool and pool are were disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a fan
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
I am really happy to see you received excellent customer service! I can see that perhaps you experienced some discomfort with the air conditioning which I am disappointed we could not rectify during your time with us. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back!