“Nice break, great staff”

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
West Midlands
“Nice break, great staff”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had a weekend break at this hotel in April, at the beginning it did not look good. After checking in we went to our room onthe fourth floor to be greeted by a wack of warmth air, the "I can't breath type", so off down to reception after checking the air con did not work. They agreed to change our room no problem, moved us to another room and gave us two fans, which was really helpful. After unpacking we went down for a bar lunch off club sandwich, fries and oils with bread, fantastic food! Full and ready for a chill, went went to the spa for our pedicures. Although you have to cross a car park, the walk wa well worth it, the girls in the spa were very down to earth and made us feel very relaxed and comfortable. Excellent service. After a qucik nap, we all booked into the hotel restaraunt for a meal, this was first class, not cheap, but first class, and we chose in the end from the fixed menu for £17.00, very reasonable! My wife, daughter and her boyfriend enjoyed the fresh made bread
on offer, was not to my liking but, but they really enjoyed it. We ordered a steak, lamb pie, soul, and a burger, all were excellent and with plenty for all. After a full tummy we all turned in, the pillows were not good and the bed was hard, however the housekeeping soon put that right bu bringing up a spare pillow and extra duvets for us to put under the matress, which to us was the only let down of the weekend, the bedmust be comfortable and soft! Too hard. The dya aftyer we ate breakfast in our room, full english, again first class food.
A taxi in the City for some shopping and sight seeing , the cab driver was friendly and charge dus a reasonable fare. Later we caught a cab back to the hotel, and again the driver was very good. At night we ventured out to a local Indian restaurant, had a few beers were good, a cab back and again a good driver, well done to all the drivers of The Yellow cab company for a job well done to all. At check out the staff were efficient and polite. I have to say that all teh staff here were excellent, but the housekeeping lady was a different level, very helpful and understanding, nothing was too much for her. Now the million dollar question, would we stay here again? NO, not until you change the beds and get some decent beds in, the matress was too thin and you could feel all the lumos and buttons! Apart from that you are lucky to havr such great staff. a nice break

Room Tip: As none of the windows open here, make sure you ask for a fan or it will be too hot.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gerry8953
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
A lovely read but then a huge blow when you mention you may not return! We do hope this is not the case as you did have a pleasant stay! Thank you very much for sharing your feedback.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chesterfield UK
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

On our first visit to Bristol we booked the Mercure Holland House Hotel through Voyageprive, the offer included a room upgrade and a free glass of wine when dining in the restaurant. From the ease of parking our car and the efficiency of the reception staff to the exceptionally well appointed and spacious room, the excellent bar and restaurant facilities and food second to none we cannot speak highly enough of our whole experience at the Holland House and we will certainly return on our next visit to Bristol. Whilst the £12 per day cost of parking may be a little expensive it is offset by the free WiFi throughout the hotel. The centre of Bristol is a 10 minute stroll away and the SS Great Britain less than a mile away the hotel is also conveniently situated for the mainline railway station. A real gem of an hotel which combines the benefits of an International Group with the personal service which is so often missing these days. The room upgrade is well recomended.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MSPChesterfielduk
Thank you for your lovely review! We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay and that we shall have the opportunity to welcome you back! The summer is around the corner (hopefully) and Bristol is a gorgeous city to visit when the sun shines!
Horsham, England
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on Monday night for a business meeting in Bristol the following day.

Good things about the hotel:-
1) Reception area is big and light
2) Bathroom looked very new
3) Breakfast, even when busy, was nice and a wide range
4) Nice location for walking into town in the evening for a night out.

Not-so-good:-
1) Pot luck on finding the car parks, which are not clear from the main road, I have stayed here 4 times before, this was the first time I found the main car park.
2) How can they charge £12 after you have paid £80 for B&B?
3) Pillows seemed to be feather-filled and it was not clear about hypoallergenic alternatives.
4) Exceptionally thin bottom sheet, you can feel / see the mattress through it.
5) Unable to cool the room or open the windows.
6) If on the first floor, get ready for trolleys and staff walking passed your room ALL night

Overall, as stated above we have stayed here 4 times before but after this visit, we are looking for another hotel close to town as 3 colleagues had less sleep than I did.
I am very surprised it has 4 AA stars, stayed in plenty of other 4 star places and they had none of the not-so-good things above.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments, I apologise for the inconvieniences you have experienced during your previous stays. May I suggest that if you were to come back, we would certainly place you in a quiet room, have foam pillows ready before your arrival and ensure that your stay is as relaxed and stress free as it should be!
I do hope we can welcome you back and restore your faith in us.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way home (after a delayed flight into Bristol).
The reception staff were very welcoming and not OTT (if only the housekeeping staff had some common sense, see below).

The hotel is located in the former Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance building, with many of the old offices having been converted into bedrooms. It still looks like an ugly office block from the outside, but the interior isn't at all bad.

We had booked a Privilege Room, located on the 2nd floor, with nice views across central Bristol. A nice spacious room, kingsize bed and a good size, modern bathroom with free-standing bath and decent size shower that worked very well.
The room was well appointed and had everything you could wish for during a 1-night stay (including some coffee, tea bags, even some flapjack, and a basic Nespresso machine).
The hair dryer was significantly better than in the 5-star hotel in which we had stayed before we came back to the UK!

We used the indoor pool for half an hour during the morning. It's not very big, can accommodate 3 'lanes', and is large enough to swim some lengths. Both the air and the water temperature were high, so rather uncomfortable, and the chlorine level felt very high too.
Access to the pool is 24/7.

We didn't use the hotel carpark, but used the (efficient) Bristol Flyer Express Link, which stops just around the corner from the hotel.

Instead of using the hotel restaurant for breakfast, we had a VERY enjoyable breakfast in the Arc Café in the Undercroft at St Mary Redcliffe Church, across the road (this is a lovely cafe, run by staff and volunteers from the Addiction Recovery Agency).

HOWEVER.....
The big letdown of the hotel was the fact that we were woken up by housekeeping staff shouting in the corridor outside our room. Thankfully, we were dog-tired from our very late arrival a few hours earlier and managed to get back to sleep after a few minutes.

It turned out that our room (250) was situated opposite the entrance to the 2nd floor linen room. Had we known, we would have thought twice about staying here, but who is to know?
The hotel should perhaps relocate the linen store to a different location.
It's madness to go around shouting outside the bedrooms when guests are trying to sleep. The only reason we paid to stay here was because we wanted to sleep.
Surely, it's not too much to ask that hotel guests are allowed to wake when they chose to?

A large (empty) wine glass stood on the corridor carpet outside one of the rooms. Anyone with limited eyesight could easily have walked into this. We passed it several times, throughout the morning, and it was still there when we checked out.

It's this lack of attention to basic care and a lack of common sense that means that this hotel just won't live up to the hype.
Its location is good and it could do so much better, if only everyone tried a bit harder.

(a 3-star experience, but given 4 stars because of the very comfortable bed!)

Room Tip: Room 250 has nice views across the city, but is directly opposite the linen store, where housekeepin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I cannot apologise enough for the housekeepers disturbing you in the morning! This is of course most disappointing to read and I shall certainly share your comments with our Housekeeping contractors to ensure this does not happen again. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay over all and we would be delighted if we were to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a genuine hassle free stay in the near future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after getting a deal on LateRooms at £68 for a Saturday night. I would not have paid more than this and it surprises me that £68 represented a reduced rate!

Our check-in time was due to be 2pm but we arrived at 11.30am and we were able to go straight up and unpack. Not before we had been subjected to an upgrade sales attempt at £20 per night, at breakneck speed in a tough-to-distinguish accent. We declined and carried on regardless.

The room was good; nothing special. Sufficient for two people for one night - our room (standard double) had a tiny, doorless wardrobe with enough space for seven or eight hangers. If we were staying for two nights or more then my girlfriend and I might have had to fight over wardrobe space! As it was, no problem. The bathroom was light and had a nice, large shower in it. The floor of the shower was a bit un-nerving; it filled up with water very quickly with no blockages to be seen. Please note: no bath!

The bed itself was firm, but comfortable. Thick, dense pillows were welcome. The sheets were clean, crisp and white but seemed very coarse and was a source of irritation for me and my girlfriend.

We didn't try the restaurant or gym and so cannot comment on those. The bar was a nice area and reasonably quiet if you want a drink but don't really want to go anywhere.

We checked out early on the Sunday and we were over to safely leave our bags for six hours whilst we carried on our exploration. The staff were always friendly and happy to help, no qualms there at all!

I would stay here again, but not for any more than £68 for the night. It was a decent bed for the evening and close most of the local bars and restaurants. Did the job nicely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm delighted that we did the job nicely! Please do keep an eye out for more promotinonal deals so we can welcome you back! I shall also share your kind words regarding staff.
Southampton
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Came to Bristol for a Blood Brothers/Mission gig at Thekla.
We chose this because of the proximity to the venue, and it turned out to be a pleasant short walk over/not too far to stagger back !
Our room was spacious and clean, and the staff were all as obliging as you could want them to be...including the chambermaid who didn't at first understand my request for more teabags.
The pool was a very welcome morning after the night before refresher, and again pretty spotless.
The only thing we can fault this "not in character for us " because of it being a chain hotel,was that the breakfast was pretty stripey.but theres a cute little place next door that does good and cheap food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pat-and-Maria
I hope the gig was good! Please do consider us again for your next trip to Bristol!
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were in Bristol for a Saturday afternoon and evening function, and I would normally have booked a Travelodge since basically we just wanted somewhere to sleep. However, I was attracted to the Mercure by a relatively good rate and a secure on-site car park.

We arrived on the Saturday at 2pm only to find that both hotel car parks were full (and therefore the barrier would not let you through.) We managed to find space on a pay and display car park, which meant having to carry all of our luggage back to the hotel. Reception staff told us that the car park was "first come, first served", and couldnt give any idea if spaces would be available. I was also shocked to find that the hotel car park charged £12 for an overnight stay. I had checked beforehand about the car park, but the website was very vague about parking, with no directions, and no mention of the price. I returned to the Pay and Display car park, but it is extremely complicated, with different payment periods up to 6pm, midnight and 9am, and you cannot book for an extended period, which meant returning to it again on our way back at midnight to top-up, and having to leave before 9am or face a further fee.

Our room was good overall, with nice bathroom and shower, and flat screen TV and free wifi. However, the room was on the first floor only, and overlooked the car park and rubbish bins, which had regular visits from seagulls pecking at the bags for food. More importantly, however, the room was also overlooked by apartments in the neighbouring block. This alone did not concern me, but the large windows had no net curtains, only the main curtains, so dressing had to be done with the curtains closed. However, the room has no main light, only bedside lights and a table lamp at the desk, and is extremely dark. None of the windows open, so the only ventilation available is the air conditioning unit, which is too noisy to sleep with.

The pillows were very soft, and though I only normally use only one firm pillow, even two of these were not enough, and the pillowcases and sheets were of a heavy, waterproof-like material which was uncomfortable to the touch.

Next morning I thought I would give the gym a try. Fortunately it was 7am and I was the only one there, but be aware that there are only five items of equipment, so be prepared to wait if it is busy. Neither the treadmill nor the exercise bike worked fully. The roof of the gym is also low, and anybody of more than average height would struggle with this. On the way out I had a quick look at the pool, which is a dark and dismal underground pool with little light, and the heat as I stood at the door was stifling, so goodness knows how hot the water was.

Having to be out by 9am because of the car park, we did not have much time for breakfast, but when I enquired about the price (again, I could not find this on the website). was told that it was £16.50 per person. We only wanted something light, so did not partake at this price.

Overall, we were very disappointed by this hotel. I can see that parking in Bristol is quite difficult, but if the hotel has overflow issues then surely they could reach an agreement with the Council for use of the pay and display. It would also be helpful if the hotel had a more descriptive website of its various features and costs. We will be coming to Bristol again to functions in future years, but we will definitely not be staying at the Mercure. In fact, I guess you would be better off with a cheaper hotel on the outskirts and paying for a taxi to the city centre.

Room Tip: If you dont want to be overlooked, ensure your room is on the front or at least the third floor at t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I am most disappointed to see you did not enjoy your stay. When our car park is full we advise our guests to park around the outside of the hotel as it is free on the weekends! Also, I apologise that you were not informed of our promotional deals we offer for breakfast which would have been £10 per person.
I'd be delighted if we were given the opportunity to welcome you back for a genuine hassle free stay, please do not hesitate to contact myself should you hopefully change your mind!