“Warm friendly and very helpfull” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa

Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Warm friendly and very helpfull”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago whilst filming in the local area. Staff were amazing, nothing too much trouble and I felt that my privacy was respected throughout.
The swimming pool and spar are both on Par with other hotels I have stayed in that have been more upmarket. My boyfriend was equally impressed and that is unheard of!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gabriella H
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
I am delighted that we were able to impress your partner! Thank you for your kind words regarding staff and I do hope you stay with us again in the near future.
Zowie Osborne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tarleton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Apologies if I am a bit of a grump but I do feel the need to add to my initial review and warn fellow business travellers who might be looking forward to a quiet drink in the hotel bar after a hard days work. As you might have gathered from the title of my review the contestants from the Deal or No Deal Channel 4 show stay here when it is being filmed. While I've no gripe with them individually as a group they do make a fair amount of noise when they get together before and after dinner, which does impact on other guests. The first time you come across them it seems quite quaint as you try and work out who the mixed group are - after a few stays it can get frustrating as the group grows in size, with a lot of chair moving and noise rising to a bit of a crescendo. No chance of a quiet pint with paper, kindle or I pad :-(

An interesting dilemma for the hotel - I'm not sure there is a middle ground here.

Finally, I'm afraid to say that while the quality of food at dinner (bar or restaurant) remains high the bacon still looks like it is only cooked on one side. Why can't hotel chefs grill bacon on both sides?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your last stay with us. Your comments on the groups that stay here has been taken into careful consideration and I do appreciate how it can be difficult to enjoy a quiet evening if the Bar is quite busy. As I am sure you can understand any night can differ- some nights are quiet where other nights the Bar can be very lively!
As for how the bacon is cooked – I shall certainly ask about this!
Thank you once again for your comments
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed for two days on a conference, fantastic hotel, just what you would expect from a commercial supplier, friendly staff, great food, nice location, big secure car park, although not immediately easy to find, bar prices are expensive as you would expect ! Nice little pub just around the corner, with a friendly landlord and a well kept pint, free house.

Room Tip: You can upgrade for £20 to a room with a view and a few extras, worth checking out for the special o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank John F
Thank you for your lovely kind words! I’m really glad that you enjoyed your stay! And the hole in the wall is indeed a lovely pub.
Please do come and stay with us again should you visit Bristol again.
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed for a weekend in the hotel and very impressed. Room was nice, food in restaurant was amazing and reasonably priced. Swimming pool was also nice and free to use. The biggest downfall is the £12 a day parking. But over all I would recommend this hotel for a stay in Bristol

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am delighted that you were impressed with our hotel and thank you for recommending us! We do hope you visit again
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I go to Bristol several times a year to visit family and this was the first time I stayed at Holland House. I got a great rate on the room - £65 per night for a family room.

Check-in was friendly and efficient. The receptionist saw I was on my own with two small children and changed our room so that it was on the ground floor and just a short walk from the reception, bar and restaurant. The complimentary bottle of wine appeared shortly afterwards and was much appreciated!

The room was large, with two large double beds. As it was on the ground floor I would have appreciated some sort of net curtains (not my usual request!), as the windows were huge and faced on to the carpark. As it was, I had to keep the curtains fully open, leaving us feeling exposed to the outside world, or closed which left the badly lit room very dark indeed. The bathroom was quite large, but unfortunately just had a shower. In a family room a bath would have been helpful.

We ate in the hotel one evening and the food was fine, if over-priced. One thing I will say is that both in the restaurant and for room service our orders were never quite right. I had to return my steak for being overcooked (well done as opposed to medium rare) and something I had specifically requested wasn't noted, meaning our room service order had to be redone. Not major at all, but slightly annoying,

I was very disappointed to find the spa is closed on Mondays. For such a large hotel I found this surprising. Also, the one time I went to use the pool, it was closed for cleaning. Of course it has to be cleaned, but it was really annoying!!

The hotel is large, very clean and has some lovely staff. We did have a nice stay and if it had been slightly better then we would go back. But it is in the wrong part of Bristol for us really and so we probably won't.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for telling us about your last stay here at Mercure. I am delighted that the reception team helped in making your stay more comfortable.
I shall pass on your comments regarding your food orders – I do apologise for the inconvenience as we shall certainly be making sure this does not reoccur with other guests – thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I do hope that you will return to visit us again in the near future!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I was on a regular business trip to Bristol and this hotel ticked all boxes, close to city centre, reasonably priced ( I paid £70 for room only) pool and gym are very good, staff very helpful and relaxing environment with free wifi in all areas. Car park is cheap and safe. Only constructive feedback is at breakfast fried eggs and scrambled eggs were pre cooked I like it fresh. Overall 9/10

• Stayed February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I shall pass your comments on to our breakfast chef- though just to let you know, our fried eggs are indeed fresh! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Worcestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

easy to find 10 min walk to centre
car park over priced
easy check in very pleasant and helpful
nice room, great shower, very comfortable bed
bar area reasonable
spa clean and open
we went to Bath only took 15 mins to get to the park and ride £3 return cheap as parking in bath is expensive and hard to find a space
would stay again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with Mercure Bristol Holland House and Spa, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your comments.