“Poor Hotel”

Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Hong Kong, China
“Poor Hotel”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed in this hotel was not the best of experiences , why won't the management address the comments of complaints about this establishment ? They thanks those praising it BUT ignore those that had a bad time . The whole point Mercure Bristol House is that you learn from your mistakes !

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel that take customers comments seriously !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments though I am most shocked and disappointed that you feel complaints are not dealt with. We treat all comments, whether good or bad, as a positive - without your feedback we cannot train our staff to the fullest to provide the best customer service experience. Any feedback we are lucky to receive are dealt with the highest importance and are used to improve the services that we offer here at Mercure - we learn about ourselves as a hotel from your reviews.
Please feel free to contact the hotel, we can provide you with an email address and I can assure you that your comments will be welcomed and addressed personally.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
manchester
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went here on a travelzoo deal and were very pleased indeed to find a comfortable modern room, very good food and friendly staff. We were tourists and the location is excellent. Although you pay for parking at the hotel it was well worth the cost.

Room Tip: We were on the top, 5th, floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for booking the Travelzoo deal with us, I am glad to see you enjoyed it to the fullest!
Caernarfon, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Not a bad hotel. The rooms were quite nice but I stayed 4 nights and would have liked the sheets/pillowcases changed at least once during the stay. Excellent breakfast. The bar and reception area is very noisy and there seems to be a lot of coach tours going through the hotel, so very noisy in the mornings in particular.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, though it does disappoint me that your stay did not quite feel like the 4 star it should have. Please allow me to explain our Housekeeping - we are a big support of 'saving the environment' and proudly hold the Green Award, therefore with our linen we don't tend to change the sheets everyday unless a guest requests this. I shall pass on your comments to our Housekeeping - I thank you for bringing this to our attention as you did in fact stay 4 days with us.
Please do visit us again on your next trip to Bristol
dublin
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Booked & pre-paid for four nights at this hotel via last minute.com. Checked in late it was rowdy in reception & the staff are the type that don't show any emotion. I suspect its very popular with stag parties etc.

Anyway, we used room service a bit because we had just flown in from Asia so our body clock was a bit off.

Used their room service to was & dry clean our clothes the day we went to Cardiff for the inter nation which was the reason we were in town.

Hotel is ok , rooms are very cold when you check in as they have that system that knocks everything off when you leave - lots of hotels have that now .

What REALLY REALLY annoyed me about this hotel happened the last night, it was late and my wife fast asleep I was watching tv and ordered a coke. The room service guy came and like every time before I signed for the coke. Two minutes later I got a call from him saying you have not set up an account to purchase room service, I said 'don't worry I will pay everything when I check out in a few hours' he said fine . Five minutes later I had the duty manager on the phone saying 'you much come down now to pay for all your room service' I said 'no I will settle in a few hours when I check out we leave 7am for an early flight and wife who is fast asleep has the credit cards etc', then he became threatening and came up to the room , knocking loudly and saying the bill MUST be settled now !'. I said 'why did you not open an account when we checked in' it was 'an oversight on our behalf' he said.

He was aggressive and the oversight was on their behalf ! I had pre-paid for four nights it was hardly likely that I was going to make a runner over a few glasses of coke ! The wife had to be woken and the bill had to be settled there and then in reception. The wife had to get dressed . It was very late and we had an ungodly kick off the following day - so thanks for making your guests loose sleep & treating them like thieves . Next time we will say somewhere else and we recommend you do the same if you want to stay in a hotel with proper service not aggressive extractors of money.

It's a soulless place not for those who want a nice relaxing time. This review is 100% true and the management can contact me direct to verify . I leave very few negative reviews and travel almost permanently.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dragon53
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to read that our policy regarding in room credit disturbed you on your last night. Unfortunately the system will not allow us to put charges on to rooms that have no credit which is why we offered to swipe your card upon check in to avoid this.
As a seasoned traveller I’m sure you are aware that most hotels unfortunately have the same system nowadays as not every guest that stays here is as trustworthy as you. I really hope we can welcome you back at some point in the future.
Zowie
Wirral England
Reviewed February 23, 2013

When booking this hotel for a couple of nights during February half term I noticed none of the 'professional' photos featured any external shots. After our visit here I now realise why - this building was originally built in the late 1960's as a home for an insurance company and the exterior reflects the dreams of a 60's UK planner, namely concrete, concrete and a bit more concrete. If you are a tourist visiting the south west and looking for a twee English hotel, you're going to end up bitterly disappointed with this.
However, that aside this was a fabulous place for a break. Spacious rooms, courteous staff, a decent swimming pool (but note the spa is not located at this hotel, when I asked where it was I got some curiously vacant looks) and the breakfast was up to the usual Mercure standard, top notch. The interior of the hotel also offsets the ugly exterior.
The location is great too, everything you'll require from a city centre break is within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Never judge a book by it's cover they say! We do love the the pleasant surprise we receive when one walks in to our Reception lobby!
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the comments regarding our staff. Our Spa is situated at the back of the hotel in a separate building, I do apologise that this was not clearly explained.
We do hope you visit us again in the future
N.London
Reviewed February 21, 2013

A very busy hotel, not too hot on personal service, and everyone seemed to be 'on the run' but for a one night-er it provides all you need for a quick visit to the city especially if you're wanting to do the tourist trail in the docks area, as it's just a very short walk to the waterfront.

Don't be put off by its external design, which makes it look rather uninviting, as internally it's nicely styled and presented.

Can't comment on the restaurant facilities as we were room only, but the accommodation standard was excellent. We were there on a special Accor loyalty card offer, two rooms for just over £100 which represented great value, especially as we were upgraded to superior rooms which were both huge, one of which had a great view towards the docks and city (the other overlooked the car park which was not so great).

Speaking of the carpark, it's a considerable size - but chaotic, and should be supervised a little more closely to prevent inconsiderate parking. But at least it does have one! Most hotels in the area don't.

My only gripe, and one that the hotel can't control, was the noise from the pub alongside, and being a Saturday night, it was extreme with late revellers and a punch-up thrown in for extra entertainment in the early hours. So ask for a room the other side.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments of your last stay at Mercure, they are very interesting! Firstly, you are the first to mention noise from the pub next door, we shall keep an eye out for any more future occurrences - thank you for letting us know. Secondly, I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the Le Club offer! I am a little disappointed that we seemed too busy to attend to you personally - please be assured that even when busy, we still want to offer the best service we can to our guests.
We do hope you stay with us again in the near future - and next time we shall certainly place you in a part of the hotel where it will be quiet!
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Not the relaxing spa break we wanted! On arrival the carpark was a joke, not enough spaces and cars abandoned all over the place making it a nightmare to navigate.

Reception- on check in I was advised we had a superior double, I questioned this as I had booked an executive twin ( through spa breaks.com) instead of been notified that there is no such thing she agreed to make the changes and sent us on our way.

On arrival to our room we discovered that it was to say the least disappointing! We returned to reception to question this and discovered that we had been down graded! To add insult the woman responsible stood there and lied saying I had insisted on a twin! I had merely questioned the name of the room.

On arrival to the superior double the nightmare continued, other than a different shaped room and one bed instead of two the room was not ready, no towels, no toiletries, no hospitality tray, no robes, no slippers! ( the last two you'd think would be standard on a spa break regardless of which room you book)

Finally enough was enough, we had been unable to use the facility's by this point due to lack of towels and robes etc. We had booked a table for evening meal, so we requested to speak to the manager, she was pleasant and helpful, and after another hour finally had the room brought up to the minimal standard it should have been to begin with!

By this point it was 2000hrs, we had a table booked but because of all the carrying on we turned up 30mins late, lucky for us the restaurant was not that busy and the staff did not hold this against us. The staff in this area of the hotel were lovely and the food was of a good standard too.

The next morning at check out I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay and when I responded not particully the lady was a little taken aback, again the duty manager was brought over and apologised, when ringing up the bill she said she would knock of the wine we'd had the night before.

Not to seem ungrateful but too little too late springs to mind, We spent a fair bit on the weekend away and came away to relax and yet left feeling a lot more stessed! The price of a bottle of wine just doesn't cut it!

So to finish off I would never return here unless of course my desire was to leave feeling like I'd spent a weekend banging my head against a brick wall!

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I hope that by now you have received our response letter to your comments. As we replied, we do not have such a room as an Executive Twin however your agent just wrote the note to your booking in case there was anything that we could offer you by way of a complimentary upgrade, as agents do! Unfortunately we only have one type of twin room, with two double beds in, which is all we could offer you. You paid for a standard room and no additional charges were levied by your agent for any upgrades, as explained. I was happy to note that the Duty Manager did bring extras to your Twin room to try to upgrade it for you, such as robes, toiletries etc and I’m really pleased that they offered you a bottle of Prosecco as a gesture of good will.
We do hope that we could welcome you back again in the future and restore your faith in having the perfect reservation!