“Excellent location”

Ranked #22 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
N.London
“Excellent location”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

A very busy hotel, not too hot on personal service, and everyone seemed to be 'on the run' but for a one night-er it provides all you need for a quick visit to the city especially if you're wanting to do the tourist trail in the docks area, as it's just a very short walk to the waterfront.

Don't be put off by its external design, which makes it look rather uninviting, as internally it's nicely styled and presented.

Can't comment on the restaurant facilities as we were room only, but the accommodation standard was excellent. We were there on a special Accor loyalty card offer, two rooms for just over £100 which represented great value, especially as we were upgraded to superior rooms which were both huge, one of which had a great view towards the docks and city (the other overlooked the car park which was not so great).

Speaking of the carpark, it's a considerable size - but chaotic, and should be supervised a little more closely to prevent inconsiderate parking. But at least it does have one! Most hotels in the area don't.

My only gripe, and one that the hotel can't control, was the noise from the pub alongside, and being a Saturday night, it was extreme with late revellers and a punch-up thrown in for extra entertainment in the early hours. So ask for a room the other side.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments of your last stay at Mercure, they are very interesting! Firstly, you are the first to mention noise from the pub next door, we shall keep an eye out for any more future occurrences - thank you for letting us know. Secondly, I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the Le Club offer! I am a little disappointed that we seemed too busy to attend to you personally - please be assured that even when busy, we still want to offer the best service we can to our guests.
We do hope you stay with us again in the near future - and next time we shall certainly place you in a part of the hotel where it will be quiet!
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Not the relaxing spa break we wanted! On arrival the carpark was a joke, not enough spaces and cars abandoned all over the place making it a nightmare to navigate.

Reception- on check in I was advised we had a superior double, I questioned this as I had booked an executive twin ( through spa breaks.com) instead of been notified that there is no such thing she agreed to make the changes and sent us on our way.

On arrival to our room we discovered that it was to say the least disappointing! We returned to reception to question this and discovered that we had been down graded! To add insult the woman responsible stood there and lied saying I had insisted on a twin! I had merely questioned the name of the room.

On arrival to the superior double the nightmare continued, other than a different shaped room and one bed instead of two the room was not ready, no towels, no toiletries, no hospitality tray, no robes, no slippers! ( the last two you'd think would be standard on a spa break regardless of which room you book)

Finally enough was enough, we had been unable to use the facility's by this point due to lack of towels and robes etc. We had booked a table for evening meal, so we requested to speak to the manager, she was pleasant and helpful, and after another hour finally had the room brought up to the minimal standard it should have been to begin with!

By this point it was 2000hrs, we had a table booked but because of all the carrying on we turned up 30mins late, lucky for us the restaurant was not that busy and the staff did not hold this against us. The staff in this area of the hotel were lovely and the food was of a good standard too.

The next morning at check out I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay and when I responded not particully the lady was a little taken aback, again the duty manager was brought over and apologised, when ringing up the bill she said she would knock of the wine we'd had the night before.

Not to seem ungrateful but too little too late springs to mind, We spent a fair bit on the weekend away and came away to relax and yet left feeling a lot more stessed! The price of a bottle of wine just doesn't cut it!

So to finish off I would never return here unless of course my desire was to leave feeling like I'd spent a weekend banging my head against a brick wall!

• Stayed February 2013
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I hope that by now you have received our response letter to your comments. As we replied, we do not have such a room as an Executive Twin however your agent just wrote the note to your booking in case there was anything that we could offer you by way of a complimentary upgrade, as agents do! Unfortunately we only have one type of twin room, with two double beds in, which is all we could offer you. You paid for a standard room and no additional charges were levied by your agent for any upgrades, as explained. I was happy to note that the Duty Manager did bring extras to your Twin room to try to upgrade it for you, such as robes, toiletries etc and I’m really pleased that they offered you a bottle of Prosecco as a gesture of good will.
We do hope that we could welcome you back again in the future and restore your faith in having the perfect reservation!

Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

excellent all round. Great service, friendly and helpful staff. Good room, very clean. lovely food in restaurant for evening meal. Good choices for breakfast.
very good value for money. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Zowie O, Manager at Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I am delighted that you consider us good value for your money and I can see that we have reached our goal of meeting your expectations. We do hope you stay us again should you next visit Bristol and we thank you for your feedback.
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Bristol is a surprisingly small city so wherever you stay you are never far away from the quay or Clifton. This hotel is situated nearer Temple Meads station so at first glance feels like it is touting for business customers particularly as that immediate part of town is a throw up of flat-pack offices. This is a tad unfair as a quick walk past the Quaker garden and you are into the heart of the city. We paid £100 for one of the new suites (455), so not expensive. This is a warehouse sized room with wide windows. The bed is comfortable although the pillows are a bit thin and after a while you end up making the mattress your headrest. It's designed in that modern hotel style that is all muted browns and geometric art that is familiar if not inventive. Good facilities include a safe, coffee machine and flapjacks. Bathroom is a 'shower' room. Turn the heating on immediately or you'll catch a chill in Winter (but this is because the room has the space to be cold). Snagging items - plug points not quite flush to wall, spot of paint on carpet on right hand side of bed. Tv channels good, with subtitles. So comfortable, but arguably a bit box-kit for a chain as opposed to having character in own right. Nothing to stop anyone picking it for a one night stopover, but a bit dry for a longer break. We used room service - great choice of cheese and biscuits, rather lac lustre Ciabatta. Breakfast was well served, eggs Benedict with a hint of salad cream (?!), concentrated apple juice, weak coffee. Harmless, if not great. Nice forward facing bar with a reasonable selection of your favourite poison. Professional approach to the front desk and interactions with staff. There is nothing to stop anyone selecting this hotel if you are on business/pleasure for a night or two.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your informative review, your comments are very useful! We do hope you visit us again in the near future
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked this hotel last minute and am I glad, the rooms (and in fact the whole hotel) were very clean, tidy and the décor up to date. Well sound proofed against both outside traffic and inside noise, the room we had was an executive suite, and value for money.
We ate in the restaurant and was impressed with the food quality and flavour, although the menu was limited, good presentation and a decent 'house wine'.
The breakfast 'English' was buffet style, but again well presented and the highlight being the excellent sausages, set up for the day.
The gym was well attended and helps work up an appetite, if one needed an excuse.
Recommended.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd. floor facing the road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recommending us! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay!
Kind regards Zowie Osborne
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here on a one nighter (Room 355) 12th - 13th Feb - first time to Bristol and was very pleasantly surprised by the city. We've stayed at quite a few Mercure / Accor hotels around the world and very few have let us down. This was no exception. Good situation right opposite the wonderful St Mary Redcliffe parish church. The hotel itself was clean, smart and buzzing. Service was excellent at front desk and our room on the third floor had a great view out across to St Marys & surrounds. The hotel is right on a busy main road but noise was not a problem. We had booked a Priviledge Room via the hotel website at £125 with breakfast for two. The room was worth the extra but I do think that at this price they could throw in free Wi Fi (£10 for 24hrs) & parking (£12 /24hrs). There isnt anywhere much else available to park around the hotel so you are stuck with this but the hotel is near Bristol Temple Meads station (10 min walk) so you dont have to arrive by car.
On first sight the room was pretty clean but we soon found a few long dark hairs in the shower & bathroom surfaces that didnt belong to either of us ! The previous room occupant had also left us a pair of ladies boots in the wardrobe and for some odd reason we found several bird feathers on the floor. So housekeeping could do with a lift. The room was well equipped & had aircon but no opening windows. The table lamp resisted all efforts to get it working. The bed looked very comfortable but proved to be quite firm & neither of us slept very well on it.
My wife enjoyed the small indoor pool. There is also a small gym with only one running machine which is covetted by many !
Breakfast next morning was great - good service from polite friendly staff, nothing too much trouble, great food & plenty of choice. Dining room was large and airy with plenty of space.
Check out is 12 noon & was handled quickly & efficiently. All in all another good city centre Mercure - just needs a rethink on the upgraded room package to include wifi & parking in the price & some better beds !

Room Tip: The rooms on the St Mary Redcliffe (front) side of the hotel have the better views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review! I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay!
I am delighted that you upgraded the room; it’s definitely worth it- though I am disappointed that you were not informed that wifi is free! You see, we have two types, we have the free wifi then we have the faster wifi which comes at the charge you mentioned. As for parking, you will find this in all city hotels.
I am glad that you brought the cleanliness of your room to our attention – I have passed on the comments to our Housekeeping Manager, please allow me to express my apologies for the condition of your bathroom and for finding previous occupants belongings – this is certainly not our usual standard.
Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope we can welcome you back to Mercure in the near future.
West Sussex, England
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Booked a 'Deluxe King' through BA for me and a mate whilst we were visiting Bristol, though I've concluded what we stayed in was a 'superior double' as advertised on the hotel website. The size of the room was great, absolutely huge, although this seems to be the only premium you get in the superior rooms and isn't high on my list of things I would want from a more expensive room. In other hotel chains you'd get fluffy bathrobes, large TVs, complimentary newspapers etc... but these were nowhere in sight. Empty minibar, minimal offerings of toiletries/tea/coffee and not even a bathtub. Was left slightly disappointed by this. I would just go for the cheaper room next time, if you really wanted the premium stuff go for a 'privilege room' (this is where the extras are) but the 'superior' is not worth the money.

What really annoyed me about the room was that it was located on only the second floor. Normally premium rooms are located on higher floors. In addition, our room faced onto the road and as noted in other reviews, the single glazing caused a problem because it let so much traffic noise into the room! The windows are also exceptionally large and there are no opaque privacy curtains to draw across, which gives you the impression everyone on the street can see in, which is particularly worrying as the bathroom door opens facing one of the windows (although actually the windows are tinted outside, so it's impossible, but still makes you feel insecure). Adding to the noise from outside were disturbances from the corridor. Don't guarantee trying to sleep past 8:30 as noise from other guests and the cleaners starts early and we weren't even particularly close to the lifts!

All that said, the hotel itself is in a very nice condition with modern yet classic decor, exceptional cleanliness and superb staff. Didn't get a chance to sample the bar or the pool but having viewed them both they looked good. Free wi-fi in the room was much appreciated and is fast enough for browsing Facebook, emails and apps on phone and tablet. You can pay £10 for 24-hour access to high bandwidth internet, but the slower free access really did suffice. Fluffy feather pillows were also something I really liked since it's rare you find them in hotels. Room service menu was extensive, bit pricey but to be expected from this kind of hotel. Also, the temperature of the room wasn't really a problem like in other reviews. Just close the curtains and turn the heating up high for a bit, you might have trouble sleeping with the A/C unit on but the room heats up quickly.

Oh, and the location is also pretty good. 5 minute walk from Temple Meads and 10/15 minute walk to the Hippodrome/ Broadmead/ Cabot Circus. Just don't head right out the hotel late at night, the area's a bit dodgy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback of your stay at Mercure – the upgrade to our King Executive room is purely down to the sheer size and as you mentioned, they are huge!
We do hope you visit us again in the near future!