Booked a 'Deluxe King' through BA for me and a mate whilst we were visiting Bristol, though I've concluded what we stayed in was a 'superior double' as advertised on the hotel website. The size of the room was great, absolutely huge, although this seems to be the only premium you get in the superior rooms and isn't high on my list of things I would want from a more expensive room. In other hotel chains you'd get fluffy bathrobes, large TVs, complimentary newspapers etc... but these were nowhere in sight. Empty minibar, minimal offerings of toiletries/tea/coffee and not even a bathtub. Was left slightly disappointed by this. I would just go for the cheaper room next time, if you really wanted the premium stuff go for a 'privilege room' (this is where the extras are) but the 'superior' is not worth the money.
What really annoyed me about the room was that it was located on only the second floor. Normally premium rooms are located on higher floors. In addition, our room faced onto the road and as noted in other reviews, the single glazing caused a problem because it let so much traffic noise into the room! The windows are also exceptionally large and there are no opaque privacy curtains to draw across, which gives you the impression everyone on the street can see in, which is particularly worrying as the bathroom door opens facing one of the windows (although actually the windows are tinted outside, so it's impossible, but still makes you feel insecure). Adding to the noise from outside were disturbances from the corridor. Don't guarantee trying to sleep past 8:30 as noise from other guests and the cleaners starts early and we weren't even particularly close to the lifts!
All that said, the hotel itself is in a very nice condition with modern yet classic decor, exceptional cleanliness and superb staff. Didn't get a chance to sample the bar or the pool but having viewed them both they looked good. Free wi-fi in the room was much appreciated and is fast enough for browsing Facebook, emails and apps on phone and tablet. You can pay £10 for 24-hour access to high bandwidth internet, but the slower free access really did suffice. Fluffy feather pillows were also something I really liked since it's rare you find them in hotels. Room service menu was extensive, bit pricey but to be expected from this kind of hotel. Also, the temperature of the room wasn't really a problem like in other reviews. Just close the curtains and turn the heating up high for a bit, you might have trouble sleeping with the A/C unit on but the room heats up quickly.
Oh, and the location is also pretty good. 5 minute walk from Temple Meads and 10/15 minute walk to the Hippodrome/ Broadmead/ Cabot Circus. Just don't head right out the hotel late at night, the area's a bit dodgy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the hospitality of the 4 star Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa which is perfectly placed for business or leisure, be it a family break, city getaway or a fun filled adventure in this cosmopolitan metropolis. All 275 rooms are contemporary and well appointed bedrooms with large beds. The Urban Bar & Kitchen offers a vibrant and contemporary atmosphere with a fantastic open plan dining facility. Using the finest local produce, you can expect urban food, unsung heroes along with some guilty pleasures to satisfy your appetite. For ultimate relaxation and indulgence why not visit the Spa which offers various treatments, a large indoor heated pool and fitness suite. An affordable yet stylish and luxury hotel that delivers and will ensure your stay is memorable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Mercure Bristol Holland House Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Holland House Bristol Hotel Bristol
- Mercure Holland Hotel Bristol
- Accor Holland Hotel Bristol