“Didn't want to stay there after the reception I got on the phone!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Belgrave

The Belgrave
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bristol
The Belgrave
Ranked #19 of 52 Bristol B&B and Inns
La Brede, France
“Didn't want to stay there after the reception I got on the phone!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Last Sunday we finally got our plans organised for Christmas and decided to stay in a B&B in Bristol so we could visit my other half's family while still benefiting from some privacy. I therefore emailed The Belgrave to book a room. I was asked to call on Monday evening after 6pm to confirm with our credit card details. We had some visitors on Monday night, so I sent another email to Kay asking when I could call her since I was unable to do so the night before. Mike then replied to my email saying 'I am sorry but the room you inquired after has now been booked'. I was terribly shocked as I did keep in touch saying we wanted to confirm the room,so when I informed him of this I got the following reply: 'Hi Nathalie, Kay is waiting for card details from another couple, If you can telephone ASAP she will sort you out'.
So after my initial shock, this was another one... so if I called right now I could have the room and leave the other people in the mess. I didn't think it fair at all, though I still decided to call. And now I'm even more glad not to stay there. Kay was very patronizing and said: 'Oh Nathalie, you've been messing be about. (?!?) Lovey if you had called 2 weeks ago with your credit card details it would all have been sorted'. Since we hadn't known until Sunday what the plan was for Christmas, there was no way I could have done that so far in advance. I was so upset of the way she had spoken to me (I never had such problems booking a B&B before and we stay in them about 5/6 times a year) that I decided on booking the Future Inn in Bristol instead. At least I won't be speaking to this way even though we always prefer the homey feeling of a B&B. Shame the one we have used in Clifton before doesn't open over the holidays.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Natring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in July and it was absolutely wonderful. Kay, the landlady, was incredibly sweet and helpful, and the room was amazing. The atmosphere and decor were really nice and the beds were very comfy. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

A beautiful house run by amazing people! they are so friendly and give you plenty of tips on where to go and places to eat. you have a beautiful balcony/garden that looks out onto the city. I stayed there to go to bristol old vic theatre school. it is the perfect place to stay! it is 5 mins walk from the theatre school. mike walked me down so i knew where it was. and further down the road is bristol zoo! If you are goin for an audition or anything else at the old vic it is the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anna S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Like home from home. A lovely georgian house with views ove the common. very convenient for the shops around clifton and run by a wonderful couple who are very helpful.
I have have stayed here a number of times and all my visits have been enjoyable. There is a moderately busy road at the front, but the traffic disapears at night. If you wanted silence then I would go for a room at the back. Either way beautiful views both ways.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Taunton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband had to have an operation at the Spire last week and I stayed at the Belgrave guest house which is just a few minutes walk away. Kay and her husband Mike who run it are very welcoming and the en suite room I had was most comfortable. I ordered breakfast the night before for 8am and at exactly 8 Mike delivered it to my room. Hopefully my husband will not need another op, but if I ever have to go and stay in Bristol again it will be at the Belgrave. I am not used to being on my own, but they made me feel very safe. When you stay do ask to see Kay's brilliant paintings... she is a natural!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Grand architecture, consistent with merchant and traders house in and around Clifton.
It's opposite the park and a MTB route that leads you down to Clifton Suspenion Bridge. A lovely view out of my bedroom window. On the other side of the Avon gorge, just 3 km away, there are two new, bespoke MTB trails, (Ashton Court & Leigh Woods) both really good fun. I preferred Ashton Woods - they hold MTB races events there.
The Belgrave's hosts are lovely, charming and friendly.
They make a terrific cook breakfast that really set me up each day and were cool about me locking my muddy bike up out of sight.
The Belgrave is also close to a really good pub that serves good food; The Kings Arms
Blackboy Hill Cycles is 2 minutes walk away - great for spares and kit.
It's convenient for the Spire Hospital too if you have a relative having an op there. It's nice to be so close by. (That was the original reason I chose the Belgrave, but I plan to go back to ride the MTB routes again!)

Room Tip: I had the front room both times I stayed there because I love the period room and the view, but the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Truro, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I recently stayed here with my mum whilst visiting family in Bristol. Our room was fabulous, we had little doors which looked onto a patio and had a great view in the morning. The beds were really comfy with very clean and high quality bed linen.
Breakfast was v.good quality and not greasy as I find in some hotels (I stay a lot in hotels) - I found out they cook it on their Aga!
One of the best things about this hotel is its location, very close to the town, we walked in on both days for dinner. Supermarket close by and close to bus stops (for Cribbs Caseway etc), plus the Downs is very close by.
Great value for money, would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend asking for one downstairs with doors onto the patio!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family