“Too basic”

Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Kingston
“Too basic”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I know it's a low cost hotel, but there are limits for the lack of basic supplies. Only two towels in the bathroom for 2 people for universal use (hands, feet, body and others...). Only a spare pillow in the room. Reception in a total mess due to refurbishment without restaurant or bar. This has never been mentioned when the booking was accepted.
Be careful with the car park post code on their site - very confusing. They give you two different codes and the first will direct you the the expensive one, further away from the hotel. A positive note: Very friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Maria P, Manager at Ibis Bristol Centre, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Jack05, as part of the Ibis standard, two towels and one extra pillow come as part of the package. However, we are happy to provide extra of each upon request. Our reception and general public area including web hub and restaurant area has now ended its renovation and we are open as business as usual to the high standard that everyone expects from an Ibis hotel.

With regards to the car parking facilities, please be sure to use the Millennium Square (underground) car park in future as this is the car park that we can provide a discounted parking rate for. We are currently in the process of revising our information at all accompanying websites to ensure that such misunderstandings cannot be repeated.

To finalise, I am very pleased to find that the level of care provided by our team was to you satisfaction and expectations, and I look forward to greeting you upon your next visit to the Ibis Bristol Centre.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Gosport
Reviewed December 7, 2013

First time at this hotel for me but I use Ibis and Mercure a lot. On booking I wasn't told there was a refurb of the reception and restaurant in progress so I turned up to find a bit of a mess and no bar or food available. Of course this meant no 10% discount for being an Ibis Business member and no free glass of wine for being a Silver member - not a great start.

The room was fine, just like any other Ibis but probably the furthest one from reception. When I came back from work the following day my room key didn't work - so a trek back to reception to get this sorted, thankfully this key worked. Unfortunately my room hadn't been serviced though, I'm pretty sure someone had been in the room but none of the servicing was done, nothing replenished, curtains still closed. As I headed out for the evening I discussed this with reception because I was suspicious that they might have mistakenly given someone else access to my room (as this would automatically prevent my key from working). They didn't think was likely and said they would look into it. I never heard anything further about it and didn't have time to bring it up again when I checked out.

This left me feeling like they didn't take my personal security seriously - so coupled with the unfortunate service and inability to deliver my loyalty benefits I can't go back there (on principle). Shame really as the location is pretty good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Steve G

Travelers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for our first weekend away together.
The first issue was the price of the parking - VERY EXPENSIVE. However, we did check-in very quickly and smoothly. Our room was quite spacious and excellent value for money. My only complaint would be the soaps provided by the hotel - they were attached to the varies surfaces and so were actually quite hard to use as a result!
Having said that the parking was extortionate, it was conveniently close and so we had a lovely day at Cribb's Causeway (AMAZING).
The hotel is in a very convenient location, close to the centre of Bristol without being noisy and overly crowded. Shops and restaurants are a mere ten minute walk away and the habourside even less.
The final issue (one of few) was the huge queue to check-out, lack of staff on check out desks.
However, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria P, Manager at Ibis Bristol Centre, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis Bristol Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments , which we are addressing. I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards,
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Visited our son who is studying at Bristol Universaty and the location was great,at a great price . Parking was straight forward and the main shops and restaurants were a 10 min walk . It was everything I expected and I would definatly stay there again .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Lisa W
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Ibis Bristol Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards,
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We are regular users of Ibis hotels and this one is normally up to the standard of the brand. Well located and basically comfortable sums it up. There is a common problem in the design of the bathroom of these hotels of a smell that comes from drains.

Booking well in advance and wasn't warned that they are rebuilding reception with all the builders, noise, dust and disruption that follows. There is currently no bar or dinner service and breakfast is in the room where the builders are working. As we were talking to the reception staff about the disruption my wife had to raise her voice and asked if she was being heard above the noise of the drills and hammers. Quite amusing really!. There really should be a warning when booking that they are intending to carry out work during your stay. But business as usual is seen as more important by Accor than guest satisfaction.

The car park that has the Ibis discount is now the Millennium car park at @Bristol This is £12.50 per day.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Colesm. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about you stay with us. I am sorry to find that your stay was affected by the renovation work carried out on the ground floor public area. I can confirm to you that this work has concluded and we are operating as business as usual for the bar and evening restaurant. Our newly designed smart breakfast table is also in operation, providing a simple but effecting method of enjoying breakfast with us. I do hope that you choose to stay with us again and experience first hand the developments made.
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel last year and returned again this year to do some retail therapy in lovely Bristol. As usual all the staff were so helpful and very friendly whatever the time of day. Our room was very clean and well thought out regarding the space and we had fresh pillows and clean towels on the second day. This hotel is close to some very good restaurants like Las Iguanas, Zsa Zsa Bazaar and Tikka Flame. We walked into the city centre on the first day, which took about 15 minutes, but got a taxi back with all our bargains. We asked reception staff to order a taxi the next morning and the company they use are cheaper and a lot friendlier than picking one up on the taxi ramp outside M&S! Colin on reception was especially helpful by looking after our bags on the morning we checked out! Thanks Colin - hope to be back next year.

Room Tip: Choose one at the back of the hotel if possible mas it will be quieter.