We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
The latest reviews. The lowest prices. The perfect place to shop for hotels.

“Wonderful concert venue”

St George's Bristol
Ranked #7 of 24 Concerts & Shows in Bristol
More attraction details
Attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Bristol, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 reviews
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful concert venue”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have spent many happy evenings at St Georges, enjoying opera, jazz, orchestral concerts, in short, marvellous music, for which St G's is rightly renowned.

Visited September 2013
Helpful?
Thank Karen S
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Write a Review

54 reviews from our community

Visitor rating
    39
    11
    2
    1
    1
Date | Rating
  • English first
  • Spanish first
  • Any
English first
Poole, United Kingdom
1 review
“James Vincent McMorrow”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Beautiful. Acoustics were just amazing. Absolutely stunning venue, so different! and lovely staff! Can't wait to go back.

Visited January 2014
Helpful?
Thank Charlimel
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Bristol
Level Contributor
27 reviews
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Bristol's hidden gem”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Thousands of people walking up and down Bristol's Park St every day are just yards from St George's - one of the South West's leading music and arts venues. There's things on most evenings and the crypt bar is pretty cool and funky.

The music ranges from contemporary to classical - with the occasional spoken word event. Memorably St George's was where Jamie Cullum played the piano live on Desert Island Discs with Kirsty Young as part of the BBC's More than Words festival in March 2012. Earlier this year the Globe theatre were on tour and did King Lear in St George's.

In the summer the gardens are also a fab place for a picnic when the sun's out. Most recent event I was at there was in November when jazz legend Hugh Masekela filled St George's with his gorgeous trumpet vibes.

Not to be missed if you're visiting Bristol.

Visited November 2013
Helpful?
Thank bheald
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
UK
Level Contributor
105 reviews
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“One of finest UK music venues”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The acoustic of St George's is outstanding. It is loved by performers and audiences alike, and BBC concerts are often broadcast or recorded there. The staff and volunteer ushers are all very friendly. It's a bit of a crush to get an interval drink, although the basement bar is very congenial.

The programme each season has something for all tastes - classical, jazz, ethnic, as well as Festival of Ideas events. I heard the excellent Elias Quartet playing three wonderful Beethoven quartets last week. What a treat and a privilege.

I was very surprised to learn that St George's gets no grant or subsidy from the Arts Council, so it is entirely funded by the revenue it raises. Come on Arts Council - stop being so London-centric. I read that 70% of all AC funding goes to London, while the rest of the country has to fight for the remaining 30%. It really isn't good enough when there is a world-class music venue struggling to survive in the largest city in the West Country.

Visited November 2013
Helpful?
Thank Loxley55
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Travelers who viewed St George's Bristol also viewed

 

Been to St George's Bristol? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.

Claim Your Listing