“Pink grapefruit sorbet a wonder”
Review of Meluha - CLOSED

Meluha
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Winner of THE BRISTOL GOOD FOOD AWARDS BEST INDIAN 2014 Meluha represents a journey through the senses - owned by Chef Stephen Gomes - Cobra Good Curry Guide Chef of the Year 2007-8, 9-10 and 12-13.The menu perfectly balances authentic Indian dishes, mastered during Chef Stephens training and travels in the sub-continent and experimentation. With molecular cooking techniques Chef Stephen brings spices to life i a profusion of clouds, smoke and foam, perfectly flavoured, absolutely moreish and visually beautifully.Warm friendly service in the lovely setting of Park Street Bristol, Meluha is described by the editor of Flavour Magazine as "Indian fine dining at its very best".
Reviewed December 19, 2013

No room at the inn of an evening but bookings now being taken for lunch and last Saturday there were only seven covers in. The service was attentive and we were not rushed. Both trios of starters were interesting, but could have been eaten more easily with small cutlery! The palate cleanser was a wonder!

Mains , RATNAGIRI MANGO LAMB
Lamb and spherification of mangoes cooked in coconut milk, mango pulp, spices and chilli.
and the Goan Fish curry, made less spicy than on the menu were very tasty and the portions huge. Baby aubergines as a side dish and the rice were well prepared.

We shared a trio of suites. I was surprised that the nouvelle cuisine of the starters were not followed up in the same manner by the mains.

Not a cheap meal.. ,not sure I'd go back but it was a memorable meal.

There are newer reviews for Meluha

Reviewed December 19, 2013

A group of us visited Meluha mid-week based on great recommendations from friends and also this website. I was really looking forward to a fabulous curry, and on the whole, that's what I got.

I found the atmosphere to be slightly lacking, although as I say it was mid-week, but the staff were knowledgeable and happy to recommend choices. The location is nice on Park Street, but the property just feels a bit too large and spacious, it's perhaps not how I've enjoyed Indian cuisine before. That's not necessarily a criticism, but an observation. Although we didn't go for the tasting menu, extra taste cleansers were offered free of charge between courses, which was a nice touch.

Before I went, I had obviously read that a lot of people on here weren't too happy about this restaurant trying to be a bit too 'fancy' and it was all style over substance. On the whole I'd disagree with this as the curry was genuinely very good, and had a superb depth of flavour that you don't get in just about every curry house, but if you aren't the sort of person looking for that (which comes at a 50ish% mark up on other curry places in the area!) you might find the experience disappointing/alienating. It's not necessarily a post-pub curry to fuel up place, but a special meal sort of location. The sauces all had distinct superb flavours and the meat and fish was of good quality.

Many people would enjoy this place, and it's certainly worth the money if you can appreciate the significant step up from your bog-standard curry house but if you just fancy your usual curry, I would go elsewhere.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I went to Meluha with a bunch if friends on the recommendation. I have to say that the experience we had was top notch. Melua is on Park Street next to Nando’s and looks very nice from the outside. In side it is clean and contemporary. Both the drinks and the food menus are extensive. We opted for the £45.00 taster menu, the servers were very good and knowledgeable. When we got the 1st course we were surprised, each course we had was better than the last and we had 7 good size tasters from their chapters of their menu. There was absolutely nothing to complain about each dish was cooked perfectly, from the simple soup to the complex curries everything was just marvellous.
The Wine was god as well - we had Malbec and Merlot both very good for the price.
If you go have the taster we all thought it worth the money and the time (2 to 3 hrs)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

A fairly recent addition to the Park Street dining scene in the restaurant that was formerly Ask, this is certainly not your run of the mill curry house and is likely to attract a somewhat more discerning clientele than the after pub crowd that many of it’s nearby competitors aim for.

Staff were friendly and helpful, and unusually the were a mixture of both Indian and English nationalities. We only turned up on spec and were lucky to get a seat, but despite that the service was quick and efficient.

The menu offers an unusual selection of dishes by any standards. Most of the starters consisted of a selection of three different dishes and mine included a chocolate and orange chicken tikka served in a miniature Kilner jar as well as some chilli beetroot foam with another of the dishes. A main course of Chicken Szechwan was an Indian/Chinese fusion dish and was very tasty indeed and a generous portion. A Cheese and garlic naan bread was also very good, one of the best I have had. A tasting menu is also offered, and I may well return to try that on other occasion.

Readers should be aware however that the heat ratings on the menu do not correspond with the usual standards. On a rating of 0 – 4, I opted for one with 2 chillies as I like my curry’s medium. I then noticed that 2 chillies were described as “hot” on the back of the menu, and on querying this with the waiter I was told that it was equivalent in heat to a Vindaloo! He checked with the kitchen who said they could reduce the heat to one chilli, but that was still plenty for me. Be warned!

Prices are not cheap, with two main courses, two starters, two beers, one rice and one naan costing us £61, but you get what you pay for and I would happily return.

2  Thank Blackth0rn
Reviewed December 8, 2013

A welcome change to standard Indian restuarants. Unique and interesting choice of dishes. The starters come as a trio with a varied and interesting selection of tastes. Main courses exceptionally tasty and well presented and, best of all, not just your standard jalfrezi, madras, korma etc. but something unique and different whilst still that delightful spicy Indian taste. Unlike some high end places where presentation seems to take precedence over quantity, the portions here are decent and you don't go hungry. Unlike most Indians there's a good selection of desserts too. Pleasant and informative staff, nice ambience. Not cheap but not crazy either: £63 plus tip for two of us (two starters, two mains, one dessert and an £18 bottle of wine). Highly recommended.

1  Thank Edward V