“"One of the most memorable dining experience ever!"”
Review of Meluha - CLOSED

Meluha
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Winner of THE BRISTOL GOOD FOOD AWARDS BEST INDIAN 2014 Meluha represents a journey through the senses - owned by Chef Stephen Gomes - Cobra Good Curry Guide Chef of the Year 2007-8, 9-10 and 12-13.The menu perfectly balances authentic Indian dishes, mastered during Chef Stephens training and travels in the sub-continent and experimentation. With molecular cooking techniques Chef Stephen brings spices to life i a profusion of clouds, smoke and foam, perfectly flavoured, absolutely moreish and visually beautifully.Warm friendly service in the lovely setting of Park Street Bristol, Meluha is described by the editor of Flavour Magazine as "Indian fine dining at its very best".
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Meluha presents on a plate one of the best dining experience Ive ever had! If you enjoy indian food then meluha will give you one of the most exquisite, interesting and delightful food you ve ever tasted. We visited the restaurant as a couple on a night out and tried the Beef Tamarind and Lamb Dakshini - what an amazing taste sensation! The spices and ingredients put together will surprise and delight you all at the same tme.

I will definately go back many times over and have told all my friends about this gem of a restaurant.

If you want a food that hits you right between the eyes - then meluha will provide just that!

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I felt a bit sad to read a couple of 'terrible' reviews as having just returned from our meal at Meluha, both my partner and I have had a lovely time. We had an early booking so were the only customers when we arrived, however we were shortly followed by others and the atmosphere was lovely. The staff were very attentive (the right amount) and eager to please. The food was wonderful too, especially the starters which were unusual and very enjoyable. I ordered an ice cream for desert, which was very nice too, this was promptly followed by another as the chef though that the original was slightly too thawed by the time it reached the table (I had no problem with either, but it was nice for them to be so thoughtful). We ordered from the a la carte menu, and everyone else around us seemed just as happy with heir meals as we did. All in all, a lovely resturant which I think has not warranted some recent overly harsh reviews. Our meal for 2 (one 3 course, one 2 course, popadoms and drinks) came to less than £70, which I thought was a bargain for our special treat. We will be going back. Thanks for a lovely evening.

2  Thank Tonia B
Reviewed October 4, 2013

After our fantastic initial visit back in May, we revisited Meluha on a subsequent trip in August, this time with five kids in tow and this time for lunch.

We were a bit worried they might not be happy to see us with our young rabble but we could not have been more wrong. We were welcomed warmly and given a great table and the waiting staff danced attendance on the delighted children. They even allowed us to order off menu to please our fussy eaters, they could not have been more accommodating.

My partner and I had starters and mains and they made sure the children's food was timed to allow us to eat in a relaxed fashion, which is a luxury in a family the size of ours! Our food was again superb, beautifully presented and wonderfully flavoured - I could eat here every day.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and were made so welcome, they didn't even blanch at the mess we left (inevitable with 5 kids eating rice!). This place is so welcoming, staff attentive, lovely dining room and fantastic food. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anyone, it is top of our list for visits to Bristol.

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We came when they first opened and we were just passing by and liked that they were trying to do something different with a style of food I love. So we came back and brought friends, a little bit nerve-wracking as recommending restaurants always is!

We should not have worried, if anything now that the restaurant is busy the experience was even better, lively (a thursday night) but tables are set to give plenty of space to relax.

This time round we tried the taster menu and absolutely loved every bite, it is different from standard Indian fare and you should be prepared for that, but we like the fact they are trying something new. Not a big fan of a greasy night out curry after travelling in India and trying "real" Indian so this for me has definitely hit the spot with some beautiful plating and wonderful service to match.

I should say (reading previous reviews) that the taster menu does take its time but for us it was paced just right to digest and have a relaxed evening with good friends and nice wines.

1  Thank Ronald82
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My rating is mainly about the food, but it's worth saying that they lost our booking so put us on the 'chef's table'. i.e. The b2b suite upstairs on our own with 0 atmosphere.

We're all foodies, and travel to new restaurants regularly. We were excited to try something different from the norm in Bristol. We had the tasting menu.

- The starter was zingingly microwaved hot, and tasted like a pot noodle soup.
- The meat course came on a single skewer hanging from a plate stand, with the most token-istic salad I have ever seen. Bizarre, but the actual meat tasted good.
- Most courses had neon green/purple smears, which to us didn't look edible.
- The course with the normal looking 'curry dishes' were very standard and nothing on my local indian.
- Desert was bright blue bubblegum ice-cream, with popping candy. Totally wrong in any restaurant.

The staff were friendly and attentive after the initial faff (although long waits between some courses), but you did get the feeling they were just as embarrassed about the food as we were.

Spent the next two days wishing we'd gone to said standard curry house. What a waste of money.

3  Thank TimLdn