“Not your typical cocktail bar, that's why we love it!”
Review of Amoeba Lounge Bar

Amoeba Lounge Bar
Ranked #12 of 150 Nightlife in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a Lounge Bar serving a massive range of bespoke Cocktails and Craft Beer. We were recently voted 'best beer list' in Bristol Cocktail Week awards and also have received many other nominations. Our specialty is creating cocktails for the individual taste in a laid back, funky and quirky bar with boutique-style decor and a great ambiance.
Bristol, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not your typical cocktail bar, that's why we love it!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Amoeba is not your typical cocktail bar. It's also not the typical kind of place you seem to get in Clifton Village (I can't imagine anywhere else you'd see asymmetric haircuts and the odd facial piercing). But that's why we love it.

Sure, these guys (and I think it is all guys) know they're good. But with that comes a pride in their work and really caring that you're having a good time. When I didn't know what I wanted, the barman got me to play twenty questions about my likes/dislikes and then made me something amazing (gin, white chocolate liquer, lemon and i can't remember what else) and told me the story behind it. They seem interested in getting to know customers too, and a conversation while they're getting your order feels like a proper chat rather than being forced, or like flirting.

A word of warning though: if you go in with an arrogant attitude and talk down to them, you'll get both barrels of the sarcastic sense of humour that seems to be the house style. I've seen it happen and it wasn't pretty! These guys are professionals and if you show respect and maybe join in with the jokes (like we do!) you'll have the best night you've had in a while (as long as you don't expect a seat late on a weekend night - it gets really busy!).

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Anna D

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Worst customer service in Bristol.”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

From the moment we entered to the moment we left, the bar staff consistently spoke to us in a disgustingly arrogant manner. Their attitude is appalling. At one point, a bar man actually screamed at us. They swore, insulted the drinks we chose to order and generally made the drink ordering process as unpleasant as they could. If I spoke to my clients like that, I'd be sacked. Such a shame as the venue is lovely. It's the sneering staff that let it down.

5 Thank MissW2807
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Incredible cocktails, amazing service!!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I've left a review on trip advisor, but felt compelled to after reading the entirely false one by will j.

The location of this bar is slightly off the beaten track of clifton village but to date it has never seemed to negatively influence the flow of people, I've been there a few times now and it is never too busy or too quiet. What most impressed me about this bar contrary to what will j said, is the customer service. Whenever I go to cocktail bars I will always ask for whatever the bar person wants, in amoeba the staff are more than happy to chat about your drink generally and really get into the background of different drinks if you so desire. All in all, top bar, top staff, and top service. Thank you amoeba xx

2 Thank Leo S
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best place in Bristol”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Definitely my favourite bar: amazing coctail list and a massive beer selection. Very busy at weekends but nice and cosy during the week when you can chill out on a comfy sofa or in the heated beer garden. The staff really know what they are talking about and are happy to offer lots of dry sarcastic humour which is quite a refreshment compared to "perfect customer service" in all the chain bars. Would recommend to anyone who's after good quality.

1 Thank Mona0508
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“SHocking Customer service”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I walked out of this place following a visit last night. I have been before and it’s a great little bar perfect for a few drinks with friends. The attitude of the bar staff however is just ridiculous. After ordering a few mojitos my girlfriend and I were told by the obnoxious little bar man that he would make them but only if we didn’t mind him sneering at us while he made them. Having received some attitude on a previous visit for the same thing we pulled him up on this response. He went on a little rant about mojitos being too common and why dont people order something more original, admitting that 70% of people order a Mojito over other cocktails. If that’s what people want sell it to them you prat. We were quite angered by this attitude towards us (paying customers putting wages in his pocket) but he made no effort to back down, make light of the situation or just let the customer win, another bar man who i took to be the manager,, although i hope not for the sake of the business, came over and instead of trying to defuse the problem and apologise for the shocking attitude of the other guy assuring us that he would be dealt with and disciplined severely for his lack of customer service, this guy just joined in and backed him up.
I left the 5 mojitos he had all but finished by now on the bar and left in disgust.
How a bar can function without a grasp on the most basic of customer service premise that the customer is always right, even when they are wrong. You just smile tell the customer what he wants to hear and once his back is turned you can laugh with your co workers about how stupid customers are to make yourself feel better. I wish i could recommend this bar but until they ditch their ridiculous attitude and this cocktail snobbery they don’t deserve to stay in business.

11 Thank Will J