“Amazing little bistro! July 2013”
Review of Cherry Duck Harbourside Bistro - CLOSED

Cherry Duck Harbourside Bistro
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cherry Duck is a central retreat for those in search of quality food and drinks in a relaxed atmosphere. We prise ourselves in offering freshly prepared local food, elegantly presented, at great value. Our drinks list makes us an ideal venue to enjoy our AL Fresco areas with a sun trap terrace to the front of the venue and benches on the harbour to the rear. Inside we have a top cocktail bar and classy dining space that is unfussy but refined.We are ideally situated within minutes of Bristol's main central attractions which makes us a great place to meet before heading off in to the city, or indeed after a day of sightseeing. Our quality food and beverages and attentive service, offering wine recommendations to match your food and friendly table service have put us in the running for 5 of Bristol's Good Food Awards this year. We are shortlisted for Best Restaurant, Best New Restaurant, Best Wine List, Best Front of House and also our head chef and owner Jack Bain is nominated for Best Chef.We strive to make every visitor to Cherry Duck feel in comfort and ease and are proud to have provided special experiences for so many people.
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing little bistro! July 2013”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We visited the Cherry Duck in July 2013 for my mum's birthday; as mum had travelled some 150 miles to visit us in Bristol, I wanted to make sure the restaurant I picked was worth the journey and it's safe to say that the Cherry Duck is brilliant. Chosen for it's already high reviews and status within Bristol's restaurant rankings, I'm so pleased that here is where we decided to reserve a table for her birthday meal.

As the rest of the reviews for this restaurant state, you don't need me to tell you how amazing it is! Attentive but not overwhelming service, friendly staff and a lovely selection of 4 or so meal choices for a set price which, in my opinion are excellent value for money. The 4 or so choices allow true care to be put into the dishes, not a quality you often receive when an establishment presents you with extensive menu choices - but not here! Each choice is thought out and presented beautifully and I could have quite happily chosen any of the dishes on the menu! I did have to make a decision though so I opted for rare roast beef to start, pork belly, followed by panacotta with THE most amazing goat's cheese ice cream for dessert and the execution of all dishes was as perfect as the descriptions of the menu.

We even had a dietary intolerance amongst our party and the staff were more than happy to substitute part of the dish for extras of the other accompaniments.

I have nothing but good things to say about this restaurant and will be more than happy to return at any opportunity.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I went here on a Thursday evening for dinner. We had booked a table, which I think is definitely advisable, particularly if you are wanting to go over the weekend. We had tried previously to book on the day (on a Friday) and they were already completely fully booked.

We had seen some good reviews and so we were very excited to try it out. The bistro menu offers 2 courses for just under £20 and 3 courses for just under £25, which is very reasonable. The portions are generous, but neither of us left their feeling disgustingly full, even after the 3 courses.

The service is professional, friendly and unobtrusive. The staff are well trained and knowledgeable about the wine, and other drinks, as well as the food. The drinks were also reasonably priced, although the cocktails seemed a tad expensive.

We had delicious food. I can recommend the scallop starter and the rare roast beef. They were really delicious and beautifully cooked and presented. We both had the pork belly for our main course and were not disappointed. Delicious and cooked to melt-in-the-mouth perfection.

For dessert the chocolate fondant was a bit disappointing as it was over cooked and didn't ooze with chocolaty goodness when cut open, but my almond cake with raspberry sorbet was a dream.

We will visit again. A real gem of a restaurant in an area where there are many average ones.

London, United Kingdom
“Hats off to the chef!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went here on a recommendation of a chef friend and was not disappointed. The food was cooked with real skill and care allowing the produce to sing. Asking the waitress to be re-seated outside, we were accommodated with an enthusiastic smile. As a chef myself i could not fault the food - incredible, considering the tiny kitchen. Will definitely be going again...soon.

“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic meal , great service and warm friendly atmosphere .
Will be back again and again , can't wait to go again . All staff were very nice

• Visited January 2013
Bristol
“Great little restaurant in a sea of mediocre ones!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went as a party of four and were welcomed into the restaurant with big smiles and friendly words. We were asked where we would like to sit and because it was a balmy night we chose outside. This gives you the option of either the front onto Welsh Back and the cars/gawping pedestrians or the back looking over the boats and a section of the floating harbour. we chose the latter and were seated at a picnic table, which to be honest wasn't the most comfortable place so what with the uncomfortable seating and the wind which stirred up, we eventually went inside. Drinks were had and we tried the cocktails which we felt were a tad expensive for what they were but the wine was decent enough and was on a par with other places. What stands out is the food and service. Our waitress was chatty and friendly. Knew where the olive oil came from and what the producers children's names were when asked :-). Service was discreet but attentive though perhaps it could have been slowed down just a touch. We started with 2 scallops one soup and beef Carpaccio. Apparently the scallops were just the cooked side of translucent and the very rare beef with horseradish coleslaw were judged to be perfect. 3 Duck on Beetroot puree and 1 Belly of Pork later and the main courses were considered a triumph. To follow, my wife had chocolate fondant (as she invariably does and perhaps should write a book about them, I can see it now "My life in Fondant!") which she even raved about on the following day. I had the sticky pudding and whilst it was very tasty, it was a little on the small side. The small niggles aside, would I go back? Most definitely oh and by the way I would have given 4.5 but can't which is a shame as it wasn't quite a 5 for me