“Za Za Bazaar”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The food was lovely and it was a really fun experience going up and getting the food from each country. We selected some ingredients and the chefs cooked our meals in front of us and there is so much to choose from!

The only down side was that the staff were slightly rude and some were unable to speak a great deal of English.

Other than that it was a great place to eat and really lovely food.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,231)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Finally got to go this place after hearing about it from lots of friends.
We went as a part of four adults and booked in advanced, having made an 80 mile round trip for the experience. It was bit of treat, but so many people had told us about it we felt we just had to try it.

The positive thing I have to say is that there is one heck of a variety of food. Whatever your taste in food is, you will find something here that you will enjoy.

Unfortunately that is the only positive I can say about my experience of the place.

As we were ushered to our table my senses were over awed by the sheer grubbiness of the restaurant. Drinks glasses on the floor, trolleys full of half cleared plates everywhere and napkins etc just strewn on the floor.
Hygene is obviously not high on their list of priorities.

It was also unbelievably hot, I cannot believe that a restaurant of this size has no aircon to cool down its customers – or if it has, it's woefully inadequate. It was like an oven in there.
The drinks took a little while to arrive, and so we were well into our meal by the time they got to our table.
Getting to the food bars involves squeezing through a maze of tables & chairs.
The room itself hasn’t been finished inside, with breeze blocks left unpainted and paint just stopping on some walls.

If you want to get a drink instead of waiting for the waiter, DON’T follow the illuminated “Bar” sign as that is just decoration! I felt that the bar itself is fairly well hidden.
There was a lack of plates / dishes and cutlery for both the main meal choices and the sweets, so we had to hunt around from food station to food station to get them.

If you are a male, avoid the toilets. In the gents it was about as unpleasant and smelly as it comes, and out of the 6 (5?) sitting down cubicles, only one had a door that could be locked and contained toilet paper.

Although we enjoyed ourselves as a small party of two couples, I was totally disappointed with the place. I am not a restaurant person. If we go out it’s normally to a local pub, but I have to say that I cannot understand anyone giving this dirty, cramped, hot & unhygienic, place anything other than one star.

Never again!
By the way – I would recommend ‘Flaverz’ in Bristol. Much, much smaller choice of food, but in a totally different class of environment. Pleasant, clean & bright surroundings with polite staff.

4  Thank Splodge2001
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here 3 times now over the past year and have to say it is very hit and miss. The first two visits were lovely, plenty of choice, all hot good quality. However our most recent visit was disappointing. It was very busy so you would expect the food to be hotter and fresher but it wasn't. The only saviour was the fresh noodle and pasta stations which as always were exceptional. The rest was flavourless and luke warm. Even the deserts were disappointing this time. I have heard a lot of people say the same that it is hit and miss and now I would agree. The one bad thing that I would say is consistent with all 3 visits is the rudeness of the staff....they all seem foreign with limited English which does not help the situation bit they also all seemed scruffy and had food all over them.... Not a very good hygienic look. I think we may try Flavourz or Cosmos next time.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Not the type of restaurant I would usually visit when on business but we went with a large group on a work meal.

I was actually surprised... the food was certainly better than expected (do try the specials - the indian street food is actually very good). BUT the service is very rushed. You are supposed to get two hours at your table - we got 1.5hrs and we were given the bill after 1 hour of being sat down...

However, it is what it is..... a factory line of people in/people out and in the middle fill them up with as much food as possible. Price is good - we had some vouchers which helped so it worked out at about £15 a head including a few beers each. Can't complain at that!

1  Thank Foody4Ldn
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We reserved a table for 10 at zaza's to get there and for them to struggle to find us one. We did finally get a table but! it was right in the corner with no easy access for our children to get their food. To add to our discomfort the floor to ceiling windows aloud the sun to hit us directly and because the blinds and the air con were broken we felt like we were in a sauna. To add insult to injury even after asking and being told we couldn't be moved other big parties were coming in and being seated without the problems we had :-( the service we received was appalling, I know it's self service but not with drinks! We ordered 8 cokes, 1 lemon aid and a beer (not too tricky) at 2:30 and they came at 3:05 after asking twice being ignored by the staff and finally speaking to the manager! As you can tell from my review not the best of lunches we've ever experienced!!!! The food is ok but we wouldn't rave about it, there was plenty to go around and it all seemed fresh....... But again the staff don't make eye contact and it as if its a chore to cook the food. The reason I can be so critical is I work with the public on a daily basis and know how paying customers should be treated! This is probably one of the only times I've not left a tip much to my husbands astonishment as I'm always the first one to do so! So the moral of the story is DONT BOTHER! There are lots of other places in bristol to eat that are friendly and good value for money.

2  Thank Mason12345