“Excellent food in an excellent venue”
Review of Wilks Restaurant

Wilks Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 1,612 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent food in an excellent venue”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Went there on a Saturday evening with my better half.

Restaurant itself is not large, but very spacious with the way that the tables were arranged (outside around a central 'wine holding area'). We were given two table choices, and elected to sit in the corner booth by the front window/door.

Service was excellent, if slightly 'cold' (very professional, but no real attempt at chatter of any kind, which I appreciate in such a restaurant isn't always welcomed by the patrons, but does make it feel slightly perfunctory). That said, we were given a summary of all dishes, and our food was delivered/cleared efficiently, effectively, and in a timely manner.

The food itself was excellent - I had the asparagus to start, while my gf had the lobster bisque, (which she couldn't finish due to it's richness, but that's virtually a compliment!). I had the lamb with sweetbreads and she had the steak as main courses, accompanied by pureed potato. Both meats were cooked to perfection, and the beef in particular was incredibly tasty. The lamb was nice (if not as flavourful as I had hoped, but I'm aware that that's primarily the lamb's fault, rather than the chef's), and the sweetbreads were very good.

Dessert was a pair of cheeseboards, which were good, if nothing particularly special.

Overall, the experience was well worth it, and I would recommend it to anyone; not massively expensive (£125 for two incl a rather nice Sancerre), and understated for somewhere with a Michelin star.

• Visited April 2014

• Polish first
“Major disappointment”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I had previously booked at Wilks for my wife's birthday and had to cancel as she was not well. We re-booked (online) some time ago and were due to have our meal yesterday. On arrival we were told I had phoned the previous day and cancelled (I had not). We were told that no other tables were available and we were sent away for 25 minutes with a promise that they would call if other diners did not turn up. No call. We went back after 30 minutes and were made to feel as if we had not been telling the truth about the supposed cancellation. I can only assume there was an error or someone had managed to cancel our reservation in order to make their own - the restaurant is very popular. We were very much looking forward to the meal - having arranged a train and taxi return trip - which was now to be a dual celebration. However we felt quite patronised - one suggestion was that we have a starter and dessert when another table came available as we needed to return at a certain time! We shall not be returning, however good the food MAY have been.

• Visited April 2014
9 Thank Ian D
Christine V, Owner at Wilks Restaurant, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Sir
On arrival you were not told that you had phoned to cancel. My restaurant team contacted you the day before, as we do all our customers, to confirm that you still wanted your reservation. You didn’t remember making the reservation and said you had made other plans and would not need it. You were removed from our reservation system and a ‘confirmation of cancelation’ email would have been sent directly to the email address you provided us. This means that regardless of any misunderstanding over the phone, you would have known that the reservation was cancelled.
You were not sent away. You were politely asked if, in order for us to try and remedy the situation, you could possibly wait in a very nice bar across the road for the first table we received that evening to leave, a probable wait of 20-30 mins. You were initially happy with this and then changed your mind.
You were not patronised. My restaurant team (the same people who called you the previous day) made the best effort possible, under the odd circumstances, to make space for you in a full restaurant with the minimum of disruption to other customers and yourselves. Unfortunately this was not good enough for you.
James
chef.owner.wilks
“Delicious, innovative food”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Treated my mum for a Mother's Day lunch. Truly exquisite food. A slight Asian influence which makes for something different. I would definitely recommend the citrus meringue. Lovely decor and nice touches like petit fours and canapés.

The only reason I have given 4 stars instead of 5 is because we were seated in a table between the door and the busy bar/till area. I asked if we could move to one of two identical tables by the window and were told no. Sometimes I do wish very expensive restaurants would respect the fact that when you save up to treat someone you really want the experience to be perfect.

We did have a lovely time though.

• Visited March 2014
Wraxall
“A good find via Tripadvisor”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I found this gem when looking for somewhere new to dine in Bristol for our wedding anniversary. It certainly lived up to my expectations. Friendly and efficient service and great food. Definitely worth a visit.

London, United Kingdom
“Poor quality meat spoiled our lunch”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This fancy French Restaurant which boasts or boasted a coveted Michelin Star is perched high up Redland in Bristol on a street described by my cab as unpopular and hard to navigate. I travelled to Bristol for a business meeting from London and booked this after doing some research in the net. I had high hopes.

The menu reads well, with a balanced offering covering just about every taste. And Perigord Black Truffle - hmmmmm.

We ordered the Scallops and the Truffle Risotto both of which were skilfully prepared and beautifully presented.

For our main course we both ordered the Sirloin and both were of the same opinion - it was tough and somewhat spoiled my first visit to Wilks. It is hard to imagine that a restaurant of this quality would risk its reputation by serving bad meat and I suspect that this was simply a bad cut and an off day. The garnish and plate dressing and Truffle Mash, whilst very good did not make up for it and since we were late arriving and somewhat pushed for time,we didn't have time for dessert.

With a bottle of Cotes du Rhone, Coffees and Service, the bill for 2 was £132.00. Rather than being very good, because of the meat, the experience was rather average. I may return as I would liker to see this at its best. Perhaps for dinner.

• Visited March 2014