“Perhaps I'm not sophisticated enough to enjoy it here...”
Review of Wilks Restaurant

Wilks Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 1,613 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Perhaps I'm not sophisticated enough to enjoy it here...”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Maybe this is the essence of fine dining. If that's the case it's not for me. I think that they may just be taking themselves a little too seriously here. Service is cool and formal, to the point of being unfriendly. The room itself is cold and rather charmless - we visited on a Friday night and there was no atmosphere at all. The food is adequate, but surely with a Michelin Star to live up to at least one element, one mouthful should be sublime? My meal was rather ordinary. The prices would be fine if the experience and food lived up to expectations, but for me neither did. The Star means you'll struggle to book a table. Good luck. Perhaps I'm a grumpy so and so, but I'm afraid I won't be going back.

• Polish first
“Simply delicious food”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I've eaten at Wilks 3 times now and will keep going back. The service is professional, polite and attentive and the food is really something else. Pricing is very good for the quality and the fact they now have a Michelin star (especially when compared to Casamia). Yes, there's no background music but I guess the focus has always been on the food. I think it was the same with the previous owners (Culinaria) and it was one of Bristol's best kept dining secrets.

Keep up the good work!

• Visited September 2013
“Alternative Valentines dinner”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Okay, it's like this. I almost don't want more people to discover this fabulous restaurant in case it reduces our ability to book in the future, but on the other hand I can't help but want to shout about the great food, wine and service you will experience if you dine here.

Christine is part owner and front of house and how delightful she is. Thoughtful, efficient and eagle-eyed, she doesn't miss a thing. It's not our first visit here but it's so flattering that she asks after our children, and mentions that she has our favourite drink on the menu now.

James is the other half of this most successful combo and chef extrodinaire. His dishes are so interesting, tasty and tastfully decorated without being overly fussy, and without being laden with fat. You truly feel compelled to sample the wonders of the 3 course menu and don't feel guilty for doing so. I value the fact that James has worked out how to retain the amazing taste of a dish whilst losing it's less desirable fattening and overly salty qualities.

We spoiled ourselves with a 1/2 bottle of excellent house champagne(you can buy it by the glass) really buttery and creamy with good acidity and went well with our starters of heavenly Truffle Risotto and Quail Ballontine-a real knock out without being too rich. We chose a fantastic fruity mellow Burgundy at the top end of the standard list it married well with our choice of Sirloin steak. James has to be one of a handful of chefs who knows how to cook a steak to utter perfection and as rare(or blue) as we like it. And to serve it with properly sharp steak knives not serated rubbish(health and safety eat your heart out!). We both enjoyed a glass of lucious dessert wine(what a choice by the glass), with the delectable quince tart and interesting Rum baba(needs more rum!). A treat to enjoy without wrecking havoc on your waist.

The little touches of the amuse bouch(lush), the petit fours(what craftmanship), and the Valentine treat were a memorable end to the evening. Other restaurants need to raise their game if they are to keep up. In any event, you know you are in the hands of masters, of not only food and wine, but service as well. My tip is if you are watching your purse, go out less often but go out here, it's worth every penny.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good service and food, lacking atmosphere”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I came here with family and enjoyed the experience but I wasn't blown away.

The highlights: Excellent service, everyone was friendly and attentive. The main courses were very tasty .

Needs improving: The scallops with apple, celery and ginger I had for starter were bland and the rum baba dessert was poor. I reckon it would be a good idea to have some music on in the background to improve the atmosphere.

I get the feeling that the food wasn't the same standard as what was being served before Christmas based on reviews posted here.

Really hope you guys do well as Bristol desperately needs some more decent restaurants.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“very nice food & service”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

went here on sunday 9th feb with some friends, and had a very nice evening, had a mushroom bomb of snail raviolis, and a very nice squab dish, lovley pommes puree, really was my kind of food, though the nicest thing was the amuse bouch of provencal onion tart, a forgotten taste for me, bloody lovley, had a nice chat with the owner after our meal who is very professional, but down to earth, and it seems very dedicated to trying to raise the bar for restaurants in bristol.