“Was expecting better from this Michelin starred restaurant”
Review of Wilks Restaurant

Wilks Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 1,674 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I went there with my partner for a nice meal. Although the service was good, the restaurant definitely lacks atmosphere. We were seated very close to to other tables, which perhaps isn't ideal for couples wanting a romantic meal.

The starters and desserts we had were good, interesting cooking with great flavor. However the mains (venison and beef) were average, my venison even slightly chewy. It certainly didn't feel like Michelin standard.

We won't be going back. It came to 50 pounds a head, and we left feeling un-impressed, expecting more, and a bit hungry still.

1  Thank Matt E

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited Wilks last Sunday eve. It was our belated 10th wedding anniversary treat. I chose the starter of red mullet and after 1 mouthful I had to send it back to the kitchen as it was clearly 'off' - not something I do lightly as I like to eat my dinner if I can! (No acknowledgement or apology from the kitchen I hasten to add). It was replaced by scallops that were quite frankly bland.

My main course was the duck and, again, very little in the way of flavour or colour to the dish and quite honestly I had lost the love at this point.

The amuse bouche and other standard trimmings such as the petit four were good so I am guessing that the head chef was not working the evening we visited.

We were polite, paid and left but won't be going back in the near future.

Bristol needs good restaurants so please up your game and live up to your Michelin star rating.

5  Thank JohnnySulz
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Wow. I'm up for challenging food but the quail was literally raw. Too much for me. The pigeon was extremely pink (as warned) but to be honest these two courses were just too much combined.

That said the cocoa meringue was epic.

Staff were pretty good but I didn't leave with a Michelin star feeling.

Still work to do here.

2  Thank Mark Y
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We went on Sunday lunchtime as it was my partner's birthday and I wanted to take her somewhere nice as a reward for being so wonderful. Despite being in the middle of a post New Year diet, we ventured forth and were certainly not disappointed. The Orange Spiced Wine made a very pleasant change and the wild beer was very moreish! We had the Lobster Bisque and the Scallops to start and then had Wild Duck and Sea Bass. The staff were attentive and informative without being too pushy which is what I would expect in a restaurant like this. The pricing for a meal of this quality was very reasonable and as an experience out gunned the other Michelin Star restaurant down the road from us in Westbury on Trym. I mentioned that it was my partner's birthday and they appeared at the end of the meal with a Happy Birthday plate written in chocolate with a candle on a truffle! Nice touch! They were going to have their work cut out as the girl on the next table was also celebrating her birthday! All in all great experience and, in the immortal words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back"

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We enjoyed out visit to Wilks however we both agreed that we had experienced better within the same bracket (1 michelin star).

The menu was interesting The food was executed ok but could be better in terms of taste. Service was excellent and I will certainly go back to see if things are Improved.

Full marks to the truffle risotto thOugh which was the highlight of the evenings meal.

1  Thank Tim S