“High standard of cuisine”
Review of Wilks Restaurant

Wilks Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 1,624 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
West Wales
“High standard of cuisine”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Went for a Saturday lunch.
Apart form being quite quiet the restaurant was tastefully decorated and created a very pleasurable environment.
The food was beautifully prepared with a considerable degree of culinery skill and effort.
All in all this experience actually exceeded by expectations.

• Polish first
Coventry England
“Great food but missing a trick”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having read the reviews we booked ahead for our party of five and opted for the early bird menu. We need not have done so as there was only three others in the restaurant. This was not the case an hour or so later at 8pm when there was hardly a seat left! The food was great and the three courses for £19 was good value. No one was disappointed with any aspect of the choices from two options available for each course. Staff were highly attentive and possibly a little too so as they did fuss rather too much even though it was for the best of reasons; to ensure we were not wanting for anything. The trick that we all felt was being missed was that there was no music and hence little to no atmosphere, which was a real shame as the food was exceptional. As a French bistro and foodie experience it was great, but some light jazz or well chosen music would have taken it to a whole new level.

1 Thank simoncoventry
Tamarin
“Masterchef gastronomy in Bristol suburbs but lacking atmosphere”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Get a taxi or walk to this restaurant, parking tricky. Decor is wooden and lacks atmosphere with dark paint and bizarre Rubenesque muscle bound oil paintings. Some colour and soft furnishings abd music would have been nice. Faultless beef and a delicious bottle of Argentinian Malbec were the highlights of dinner. You feel you are here for the food and the chef's creations but not for a really nice dinner out.

ct2281
“Hidden gem....”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was a bit reluctant to review this place as I would like to keep it all to myself! However, having seen some of the other reviews on here, I wanted to add my point of view as I felt that the meal I had recently at Wilks was one of the best meals I have ever had in Bristol.

I went with my husband to celebrate my 30th birthday whilst our 11 week old daughter was being babysat by her auntie. This was the first time we had been out alone as a couple since the birth and I had spent a while deciding which restaurant to go to- so my expectations were high! Thankfully, the food more than exceeded my expectations. The lobster bisque was to die for, and my husband's pigeon starter went down well too. I had the roe deer for the main and my husband had the turbot- again 2 beautifully and delicately cooked dishes. Finally, we had the stuffed raspberries and chocolate 3 ways for dessert, and both were divine. The wine we had was reasonably priced and of good quality.

The restaurant has a lovely small French bistro feeling to it, which I love, but perhaps is not to everyone's taste. Bristol has a lot of high quality restaurants so competition is tough, but I can honestly say that it was one of the best meals I have eaten in the city. I would go back in a heart beat.

1 Thank ct2281
“Disappointing and dull.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Having researched where to dine for a birthday meal, we chose Wilks - mainly due to excellent on line reviews. We like to enjoy good food in convivial surroundings but were sadly disappointed by our experience at Wilks on a Saturday night. First off, when we arrived, we had to wait a while and loiter in the door as they didn't seem to have our booking. Once seated, we found the service attentive and efficient but rather
dry and lacking in any intimacy. We both found our main courses excellent but the starters and the desserts were disappointing. A slightly overpowering lobster bisque and undercooked saffron risotto were followed by beautifully cooked venison and turbot. Feelings were split on the stuffed raspberry pud but the cheese went down a treat. The extras presented as amuse-bouche were pretty tasteless as were the sweets served with coffee. We found the atmosphere and decor sadly lacking; bland and empty of warmth.
Unfortunately we won't be making a return visit- in a highly competitive industry you only get one chance to impress and unfortunately Wilks didn't.

4 Thank Sarahvet