“Excellent food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Wilks Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 1,552 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: French, European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited Wilks on valentine's day for the 6 course taster menu, and were both very impressed with the food. My partner doesn't drink, but I thought the wine pairing was superb (in fact too good, I got very tipsy!). I would definitely recommend this restaurant and would like to particularly compliment the female owner (I presume) for her very attentive service, we both felt extremelly welcome and looked-after, and the food itself, which was faultless. The complimentary pot of jam was a lovely, original touch too. My only criticisms would be that the tables were very close together and this made us feel a little uncomfortable at first, especially on valentine's night, to be so close to other couples! Also, we were offered bread which never arrived, disappointingly, as it sounded really nice. We will definitely be back for another meal and overall had a wonderful night, thank you.

2 Thank A B

• Polish first
“Top notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

What a marvellous Valentine's evening. It was a full house with a lovely atmosphere and much thought clearly given to the seating plan.The six course taster menu was superb - delicious and well-balanced with top quality, locally sourced ingrediants. The staff were welcoming, delightful and very helpful. Front of house Christine was charming and happily offered to amend the menu to suit my cheese free diet. There is an excellent wine list and what a pleasure to find an admirable addition, to the usually found prosecco/cava, of an elegant and tasty cremant (half the price of champagne and just as good).

We had been visiting Culinaria regularly for many years and were hugely disappointed when the owners decided to sell the business. Having now dined at Wilks some half a dozen times we, and all of the Culinaria regulars we have spoken to, are delighted that in just a few months Wilks has exceeded all expectations. This really is a top notch restaurant.

“GOOD VALUE FOOD”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Excellent. The early bird offer was a great option - one of us had that and the other from the a la carte menu. All food was enjoyable and a great cheese board with good value wine. Knowledgeable and discreet and excellent waiting staff - will be back.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - Lacking in atmosphere & value.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I had read some great reviews about Wilks & was really looking forward to visiting the establishment.

We dined on a lunchtime- table of four. Both couples dine out regularly to (at times) higher end restaurants, both locally and worldwide.

Initially, we were intending to have a (low key) lunch on the set lunchtime menu (£12, £14, £16 spending on 1-2 courses with or without wine).

We were simply all disappointed with the set menu choice; either pigs cheek or cod. Therefore we're on the a La Carte menu & a completely different ball game!

I have no qualms of paying for a quality cooked meal, through locally sourced food in a quality atmosphere.

Whilst the food was of a reasonably high quality. This included a mushroom soup, Salad, Beef etc all cooked well, I simply can't justify it being worth approx £45 per head for lunch?! For 2 courses per head-with a couple of drinks each (one of us on tap water).

So, in summary; good quality, locally sourced food & well cooked. The atmosphere was (in my opinion) sterile with no wow factor. Whether an evening dinner would be different and some atmosphere present?

Finally and as mentioned before, I did not think the overall dining experience was worth it. I would choose a number of restaurants above Wilks in the Bristol area, namely; The Manor House, Juniper & Harvey Nicholls.

Our intention, after trying lunch at the premises, was to return again for evening dinner sometime, unfortunately none of the party feel any great rush to return to the restaurant.

“Faultless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I enjoy playing at being a grumpy food critic like they have on the telly, much to the annoyance of the long suffering wife, only here there was nothing to fault. I must have been in a good mood? The Chilean Sauvignon blanc was inexpensive and delicious as was all the food. I'm not a pudding person but the cocoa meringue ball was brilliant. I would have liked some balsamic with the bread and olive oil pre starter but I expect I could have asked for some.Oh the chicken liver mouse thing as an amuse bouche was great.

1 Thank Pl0dder