“GOOD VALUE FOOD”

Wilks Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 1,668 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Excellent. The early bird offer was a great option - one of us had that and the other from the a la carte menu. All food was enjoyable and a great cheese board with good value wine. Knowledgeable and discreet and excellent waiting staff - will be back.

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I had read some great reviews about Wilks & was really looking forward to visiting the establishment.

We dined on a lunchtime- table of four. Both couples dine out regularly to (at times) higher end restaurants, both locally and worldwide.

Initially, we were intending to have a (low key) lunch on the set lunchtime menu (£12, £14, £16 spending on 1-2 courses with or without wine).

We were simply all disappointed with the set menu choice; either pigs cheek or cod. Therefore we're on the a La Carte menu & a completely different ball game!

I have no qualms of paying for a quality cooked meal, through locally sourced food in a quality atmosphere.

Whilst the food was of a reasonably high quality. This included a mushroom soup, Salad, Beef etc all cooked well, I simply can't justify it being worth approx £45 per head for lunch?! For 2 courses per head-with a couple of drinks each (one of us on tap water).

So, in summary; good quality, locally sourced food & well cooked. The atmosphere was (in my opinion) sterile with no wow factor. Whether an evening dinner would be different and some atmosphere present?

Finally and as mentioned before, I did not think the overall dining experience was worth it. I would choose a number of restaurants above Wilks in the Bristol area, namely; The Manor House, Juniper & Harvey Nicholls.

Our intention, after trying lunch at the premises, was to return again for evening dinner sometime, unfortunately none of the party feel any great rush to return to the restaurant.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I enjoy playing at being a grumpy food critic like they have on the telly, much to the annoyance of the long suffering wife, only here there was nothing to fault. I must have been in a good mood? The Chilean Sauvignon blanc was inexpensive and delicious as was all the food. I'm not a pudding person but the cocoa meringue ball was brilliant. I would have liked some balsamic with the bread and olive oil pre starter but I expect I could have asked for some.Oh the chicken liver mouse thing as an amuse bouche was great.

1  Thank jimmy j
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Last night's tasting menu with wine pairing was superb - every course utterly delicious, and the pud, iced hazelnut parfait with chocolate and praline crunch, was literally the most delicious pudding I have ever eaten. Service also excellent. Cannot praise this place too highly.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Really lovely food, beautifully cooked and presented. Front of house staff just right. Quiet for a Friday night apparently but it was very pleasant all the same - felt that even if very busy the table placement would have still have had a spacious feeling. Can't fault it and I am looking forward to the opportunity to go back and enjoy the experience again.