“Where was everyone?”

Wilks Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 1,679 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to wilks. We are a modern, vibrant restaurant on Chandos road in Redland, Bristol. We offer creative, accomplished cooking at affordable prices, attentive, knowledgeable service from friendly staff and a relaxed, informal dining room. We champion all that it is local; farmers, growers, suppliers, even local artists who show their work in our restaurant. We also offer food for home. Everything you need for your dinner at home; bread, soups, mains, desserts, chutneys, wines and more.
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had an absolutely fantastic meal here on December 1st. Every course was a delight, the wine was excellent and not overpriced and the service was exemplary. Are the people of Bristol so spoilt for choice that they were all elsewhere? The restaurant was largely empty and, as a result, lacked atmosphere, which was a shame. if I lived nearer and was a wealthy woman, I'd visit this restaurant as often as I could.

1  Thank rocksCardiff

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I was always a huge fan of Culinaria, and was really hoping that its replacement would be as good. I was not disappointed, Wilks is fantastic, and the chef is clearly more than a very worthy successor to Stephen Markwick. The restaurant has been given a very gentle makeover, re-decorated in shades of grey, which made the room surprisingly warm on a chilly Saturday night. The lighting has also been improved, always a bug-bear for me at Culinaria, which was overlit, all now much softer. The front of house and service was professional and friendly, there were 2 young waiting staff, clearly learning the ropes, but closely supervised by a front of house who really knows what she's doing. The food was all excellent. Very flavoursome shellfish bisque, a wonderfully simple fillet of mackeral, again packed with flavour, and the 2 main courses also really hit the mark - a slight and very minor quibble being that the sirloin of beef was slightly on the rarer side of medium. Pudding was brilliant - 3 types of chocolate. Chocloate puddings are so often over sweet, not this, really good and very well balanced. Portion sizes and the nature of the cooking - again all well balanced - meant that one finishes supper feeling fully satisfied, but not stuffed full. we will definitely be back, cannot recommend highly enough.

1  Thank TheBristolJohns
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This chef is new to Bristol and he is just what Bristol needs. The food is seasonal and innovative with the menu offering food for all tastes and there is also a deli attached so you can take some of their delicious food home. The service is friendIy and efficient with nothing too much trouble. I have been there 5 times and can't wait to go back again.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Wilks is in Chandos Road and replaces Culinaria.
We had Sunday lunch here and it was excellent. A small menu but I think this is as it should be. Starters of risotto and the maple cured salmon were very tasty. The salmon particularly well presented visually.
There was a fish, roast beef or vegetarian main course. I had the beef main course as did 3 of our party. It came with an excellent choice of vegetables. We each wanted our beef cooked differently, ranging from Medium to rare and none were disappointed. The fish course was reportedly very good. Puddings were lovely, especially the quince brûlée. Great coffee and petit fours.
Will definitely return and will try the evening menu.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

An excellent Sunday lunch. I had the seafood bisque and cod for main both very good. The chocolate dessert was stunning..... Good bread, good selection of wine and coffee also very good. Totally recommend Wilkes and will make a regular trip here as I live locally.