“Not quite high end”
Review of Zazu's Kitchen - CLOSED

Zazu's Kitchen
Cuisines: European, British, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: All day neighbourhood brasserie, fantastic breakfasts, wonderful lunches and sublime suppers.
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Zazu's Kitchen relocated recently from modest premises on Stokes Croft to a more upmarket establishment on Gloucester Road. The premises used to be the much loved Bistro La Barrique, which apparently couldn't make a sensible profit there, although they still operate near the Theatre Royal in Bath. Zazu's has an ambitious menu that reaches for the high end of fine dining. We had Friday night dinner for two. The scallops for starters were close to perfection and in fact the most sophisticated dish we chose. The pigeon breast was perfectly cooked, the sauce was delicious and the parcel bed was very clever -- but somehow it lacked wow factor. The same almost-wow applied to our main courses. Chris's mussels in a smoked haddock flavoured broth were lovely but just slightly too bland. My bream was very nice but not spectacular. We shared a chocolate desert with orange sauce. It was heavenly. We downed an OK bottle of Rioja. The bill came to around £64 -- which was reasonable considering the quality of both the food and the service. The latter was excellent. Zazu's is competition to the nearby Robin Hood's Retreat gastro pub. We will almost certainly go again, but request the owners to provide more comfort -- the tables are cafe rather than restaurant quality and the chairs hard and uninviting.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Ate here with family for a lazy Sunday breakfast. The place was quite busy but there were plenty of staff so you'd expect the service not to suffer. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Drinks took far too long to arrive and the food was pretty slow too. The staff were perfectly smiley and nice just not very efficient, perhaps a few too many the night before..? When the food arrived it was OK. The full breakfast isn't bad actually although quite what the spinach is doing there I have no idea. It also isn't quite large enough to fill you up. The Merguez sausages are a bit lame. You get three titchy little things on a brick of sourdough toast. They're really tasty, there just aren't enough of them. The homemade chilli sauce is pretty rubbish too. Don't get me wrong, all in all it wasn't a bad breakfast just not great either and the speed of service really didn't help. We left feeling we'd wasted a morning and were still hungry. That said, price wise I think they're about bang on the money. In fact I'd be happy to pay a bit more for bigger portions.

Sorry Zazu, I really wanted to love this place but I'm not sure I'll be coming back.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Spent a pleasant Saturday Birthday Brunch at Zazu's with the family (4 adults and 2 children).Table was booked for 1.30pm and it was ready waiting for us.Extremely friendly welcome.Very busy at this time but the service was excellent.We were warned that there would be a little wait until the food was served (a good sign)and were served complementary bread and olives.The food when it came was superb,the boys chose from the childrens menu - excellent value! The adults chose from the brunch menu, very good choices, beautifully presented by very attentive waitresses.All in all a very satisfying eating experience - will certainly come again.Highly recommended!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had regularly driven by and had read reviews in local publications etc so thought it was about time to pop in!
The dinner menu is not large. There was an additional special starter and main course.
The food was presented well and tasted delicious. My son and I had scallops which were cooked just right for us, not too pink! We both had the pork belly with pork cheek special which was served with a smoked mash which was tasty. My husband had the rump steak which he thoroughly enjoyed. My son had the chocolate mouse which he enjoyed and my husband and I shared a cheese board. Served with a couple of glasses of port. Drinks wise, reasonably priced we had a local Thatcher's cider and a glass of wine.
Staff were friendly and welcoming. Only thing that would have been nice, was to be offered some bread with the starter as we could see some bread on the side ready to be sliced!
Not a cheap meal at £96 for the 3 of us. Whilst it was a little costly, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This relatively new addition to the Gloucester Road food scene never fails to impress. I have eaten there for Brunch, Lunch and Dinner at various points over the last few months and it is maybe the ease and success with which they move between these 'scenes' that is most impressive.

Brunch and lunch are casual affairs, bright and breezy. Whether it's an excellent English Breakfast, great coffee, a delicious burger, or a chick pea curry it's all fresh, expertly cooked, well-presented and delivered to your table with a friendly smile (no matter how busy it is, short wait or no).

Last night was exceptional, though, which compelled me to write. By evening Zazu's transforms from bustling cafe to elegant restaurant with candle-lit tables giving it a warm and cosy feel on an autumn evening. The cocktail list is cool: few places know how to do a good Manhattan and as a connoisseur of this tipple it hit the mark with a great choice of Bourbon and a 'healthy' measure to boot. Even minus the maraschino cherry it was accomplished!

A delicious warm halloumi and caper salad later, it was time for mains. My lovely friend had mussels in cider and cream (to die for) and I took the 'hearty autumn' route with duck breast, braised fennel and pommes anna. Stunning, stunning, stunning. Especially with the Man Vintners Pinotage as a bed fellow.

Not content with my saturated fat intake I opted for cheese to finish (well, there was some Pinotage spare). Exquisite.

Last night Toby and the gang could do no wrong. Clever, creative and thoughtful food combinations, cooked and presented with the utmost care and pride. Elegant, I would say. And service with style: friendly and personable yet subtle. The whole experience seemed somehow quietly comfortable and confident within itself. Good for them.

Zazu's of an evening is a real player. There are places in Bristol that would charge twice the price and be ten times more pretentious - and for years we thought they were the standard-bearers. Beware the (relatively) new kids on the block!