“Getting better every year”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed May 10, 2010

As one of the organizers of a group of 40 people attending Badminton 3 day event last week, I was delighted with how efficient and helpful the staff of the Holiday Inn Express, Bristol North were. The hot buffet breakfast was a welcoming surprise. Check in was great as we had given an ETA and had two reception staff to greet us. This is our sixth year staying here for badminton week and we will be definitely coming back next year. On the Sunday night we arrived back from Badminton covered in mud and we all had a drink at the bar. The place must have been a mess, but the barman was very courteous and didn't say a word to us. The food in the restaurant next door was as good as ever. Many thanks for a great weekend, keep up the good work.

• Stayed: May 2010
Tracyslocombe, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2010

We are delighted to hear that you have once again enjoyed your stay with us. We have an excellent team that are always on hand to welcome our guests individually or in your case a large group with the greatest of ease and satisfaction.
We are delighted that you all had a great weekend and will be returning again next year.
Thank you for your valued time in sharing your comments with us.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future

Reviewed April 14, 2010

We have stayed here once a year for the last 6 years. It has always been the cleanest hotel we have used. All the necessary extras. If you keep an eye on the prices you can get a room for £49. Lovely large beds and quality linen.Large choice at breakfast. Many of my friends agree with us and also use it regularly. We would recommend this one unreservedly!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Tracyslocombe, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2010

We are delighted to hear that you have once again enjoyed your stay here with us. It fills us with pride that you found our hotel to be the cleanest hotel that you have stayed in and that we provided all the necessary extra’s that you required.

Thank you for your time in providing us with your valued comments and feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

What's new to say about Holiday Inn Express. This is a very reliable brand that I have used a lot in the US and Bristol North is a pretty fair example. Compared with US equivalents, the rooms tend to be rather smaller with double or queen rather than king beds. Travelling alone this is acceptable but I would feel cramped if I were sharing. However, the rooms were clean and well-maintained, although I found it hard to get the temperature low enough for sleeping - the thermostats wont' go below 19C and I like a cooler room. As other reviewers have noted, this hotel is surrounded by busy roads so opening windows isn't really an option. The breakfast compared well with others - I am trying to cut back so I skipped the hot items but they looked OK to me. Front desk staff were very welcoming and helpful. My one real gripe is being charged extra for internet access, which is a standard rip-off for UK hotels. I have never been charged for this in a US Holiday Inn Express, where it is accepted that internet access is an essential tool for everyone, not just business travellers. Other UK budget chains are gradually accepting this and I think Holiday Inn Express should not be left behind. I had business at the nearby university but the location is pretty gruesome unless you have to be at one of the business parks - it's convenient for Parkway station and the motorway but not much else.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Tracyslocombe, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2010

Iam delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We have recently introduced a few changes, one being the introduction of hot options with the continental breakfast which have been very popular.
We take pride in the level of customer service our staff provides to our valued guests in ensuring them a comfortable and happy stay.
Due to the valued feedback we receive from our guests we will be introducing free limited internet access to our guests in the Great Room area by the end of this year.
We are conveniently located to some wonderful attractions which I hope one day you will return to enjoy.
Thank you for your comments and feedback, we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed February 26, 2010

I cant really judge the location as I took this hotel due to short distance to our office, but everything else was simply wrong. Room - small, old equipment, cold as held, 1st floor with view to cars parking next to my windows. Breakfast - coffy only from poor machine, almost nothing to choose from - nightmare. For almost 100pounds terrible value for money. Internet access has to paid additionaly. Possible advantage is close Sainsbury supermarket where you buy something for the breakfast :-).

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Tracyslocombe, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2010

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us, and i appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your concerns.
Each of our guestrooms are fitted with an independently controlled heating and cooling system and we will monitor in light of your comments to ensure that systems are operating effectively.
We have recently introduced a new and improved breakfast which is complimentary to all room rates. Our new buffet includes our usual continental style selection and hot scrambled egg and sausage.
Thank you for your comments which i will review with my team. I hope that you will return in the future so that we can demonstrate that we are committed to delivering high standards of service to our guests.

Reviewed February 16, 2010

I stayed here for a business trip recently and it was very expensive for the night compared to others I had stayed in. (£124 vs £80).

However as with most HIX it was spotlessly clean and very well laid out. The breakfast actually seemed to have hot items from what I could see as I checked out so a step above the usual.

In terms of an evening meal there is a lovely pub/restaurant called the Fox's den in the car park of the hotel 200 yds from door to door and the food is very reaasonable and of a very high standard. Just be careful because I was there on a Wednesday night and got a table at 6.00pm and just after that it was full with people waiting for tables. There is also a Sainsburys close by that you can walk to should you need anything else.

Finally I managed to leave my suit jacket in the bar at night but when I came down in the morning it was neatly hung up with everything still in it. Good honest helpful staff.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Tracyslocombe, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2010

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests.

It delights us to hear that our staff are providing excellent customer service and that you have found them to be also good, honest and helpful.

It is also nice to hear that you found our Hotel well laid out and spotlessly clean as our housekeepers take a lot of pride, time and effort in preparing for our guests.

As you have mendtioned the Fox Den pub located next door to the Hotel does serve food of a high standard and that it can get a little busy sometimes. Sainsburys is just accross the road from the Hotel where guests may purchase a microwave meal and make use of the microwave in the guest service area. This is often very appealing to single guests who do not feel comfortable dining out on their own.

As you have noticed we have recently introduced hot options to our continental breakfast which have been very popular and still remains complementary.

Thank you for all your comments. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

This is a poor hotel from my point of view. The rooms are small and I did not find it that comfortable. It has an old TV that had a very limited number of TV channels on it and breakfast was nothing great either. I went to pub next to it for my evening meal which was OK, but very busy. I guess it is the only one in the area. I did not get a good night sleep and this is key to me when I am away from home on business.

The roads around this hotel are a nightmare at key times and this therefore for me makes this hotel a nightmare. I guess it is good if you can walk to work from here.

As for things to do in the area, well there are very few to talk of. There is a pub next door. After that you have an university, a government building, some other big company building and a few little shops. There is a very small retail park, with a woolworths that has closed down.

I also thought that the price they charged for this room was too high considering the facilities offered.

I did not enjoy my stay here and would not visit it again. It was so poor that I am unlikely to ever use this chain of hotels again, unless a friend recommends it to me.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Storm_Claws

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns and give us valuable feedback.

We have recently re-branded the Hotel as a 'Holiday Inn Express' which has seen some considerable changes, with new mattresses and pillows in the guest's rooms, and the introduction of Hot Options with our continental breakfast which continues to be complimentary. Ensuring we give our guests a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

All of our rooms are equipped with televisions they do however have a limited number of channels with the option to watch films and an extra charge, however, we do have sky television available in the Great Room area where guests can sit and watch a channel of their choice wherever possible. We do appreciate that the surrounding area can get a little busy at certain periods of the day, improvements are currently underway introducing more bus lanes allowing traffic to move more freely in the future.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time taken in giving us valuable feedback enabling us to look at the concerns and comments that our valued guests give to us.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again in the future to see the changes we have made and any changes that may happen in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2009

Hotel built to usual Holiday Inn Express format, if you are familiar with their style.
Stayed at Holiday Inn Filton for one night and much prefer this Express.
Met important criteria for me:- clean, modern bathroom, quiet, comfortable bed. Only negatives was lack of safe in bedroom and air conditioning/heater unit on wall above bed - means air blows over face whilst in bed!
Location was good for me except traffic is dreadful at peak times.
As mentioned by others before, pub very good although became monotonous for me after 4 days!
Sainsburys across the road from hotel and Macdonalds plus NEXT outlet store short walking distance.
Breakfasts are OK but avoid 8am rush when food appears to run out quickly.
Also my Tomtom directed me to a wrong fenced off entrance to business park where hotel is located (was quite difficult to find the correct entrance at night in traffic)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
ATemple, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel as we appreciate all customer feedback.

I was pleased to hear that you found the hotel comfortable as we have recently relaunched the hotel as a "Holiday Inn Express" which has seen new mattresses and bedding.

I am also pleased to confirm that we will launch a new "Hot Breakfast" offering in January 2010. I have looked at your points concerning the breakfast service and we will increase the staffing levels and stocking of this service as a priority.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I hope to welcome you again to see the further changes that we are making.

Kind regards