“No major issues”

Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“No major issues”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night , and what can I really say, it is as I would expect for a Holiday Inn Express, clean, staff were efficient, and exactly what I was expecting. Its not the best but not the worst either. Breakfast was fine, you know with HI Express it is a smaller selection for breakfast but it all tasted good. Lift was out of action on the morning of departure which was a bit of a pain trying to move the kids and bags down the stairs. Obviously beyond their control, however think if they were going above and beyond for their customers the reception staff would have apologised to guests as they saw them and offered to assist with luggage if needed. Also please if anyone from the hotel reads this make some more professional signs to tell guests the lift is out of order, rather than a scrap piece of paper which had been torn off a bigger piece with green felt tip writing saying out of order, it would have been much nicer to have a headed piece of paper already laminated with the words printed. I know it is a small thing but would just project a more professional image

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 4PalmTrees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Turkish first
East Neuk of Fife
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were visiting Bristol for a relation's 90th birthday and opted for two nights in this conveniently located hotel.
What can I say? It's yet another Holiday Inn, clean, efficient with helpful friendly staff ...... and boring! The inclusive hot breakfast item choice was poor, just sausage, baked beans and scrambled eggs - and we avoided the eggs as, on both mornings, they appeared to be massively overcooked and rubbery.
I would probably have only rated the hotel 'poor' had it not been for the particularly good Fox Den pub within the hotel grounds where we spent a relaxing evening with excellent beer and tasty pub grub.
Value for money? I can't complain as I was using Priority Club points for a free stay - but it's certainly not worth the 'walk in' rate shown behind the reception desk!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Helen R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Deejaypea,
It is great to here you found our hotel clean and all staff efficient and friendly we do our upmost to ensure all our guest have a great stays with us and we have a great team on board to ensure this happens. Holiday Inn Express offers a great place to stay for our entire guest whether they are passing through, have a family event or a party to attend to and with our complimentary breakfast it is great for all.
Thanks again for your comments
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I could not fault the room or the service, but I was glad I was only there for one night, as the breakfast was very disappointing. The hot breakfast consisted of scrambled egg, sausage and bake beans. The cold select was ok but I won't want to be there for several nights

• Stayed November 2012
London
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Thanks for a very good stay: your staff were polite and helpful, and the breakfast had a good range of continental options (more hot options is the only reason I'm giving it 4 out of 5, though you make this clear on website so it was not a surprise). There is a busy road outside but in the room it was so quiet that it didn't disturb me at all - I was very glad about that!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear DJM740,
Thank you for your review from your recent stay with us. It is great to here you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and you found our staff helpful. Apologise if you would like more items on Breakfast it is complimentary within the Express and we offer Continental with three selected hot option (Scrambled Egg, Beans and Sausages)
Thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I don't know if it was the army base next door with its barbed wire fence, the depressing industrial estate the hotel is located on, or the scrambled egg that looked like an old sponge mattress, but something about this hotel reminded me of Broadmoor Prison Circa 1970...

Don't get me wrong, everyone was lovely and we had no problems whatsoever but, with Premier Inn 2 miles up the road offering a much higher standard of accommodation, I'm struggling to think of a reason to stay here again.

As others have said the first thing you see when driving into the car park is a brick wall, and it's hard to find the front door. There's no signage directing you to the entrance at all, which is a very quick thing to fix I feel, but it just seems like they won't spend money on *anything* here, not even a simple sign. There was plenty of parking available, and car park is well maintained.

Check in at 1am was no problem, which was nice, and staff were generally friendly and helpful throughout.

Our room had a tiny portable TV, one of the ones before flat screens, a kettle that looked like it had boiled tea for a battalion of troops, a sponge sofa-bed and a double bed that felt VERY narrow compared to the queen size or better you normally get in hotels.

Nothing in the room can have been less than 10 years old. While it was very well cleaned and smelled fresh, it was a bit like taking a trip back in time.

Apart from waking up a few times as I was rolling out of bed (perhaps due to me being used to a bigger bed, the bog standard "double" seems tiny to me) I had a pretty good sleep. there was no traffic noise due to the fact the hotel is located on an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere. However, I feel we were lucky that the family next door were very quiet and went to bed early, as we could hear every word they were saying through the walls very clearly before they went to bed.

Cleaning staff were certainly eager, knocking on our door at 08:30 on a Sunday morning and opening the door before we had a chance to open our eyes. However they silently closed the door again and moved to the next room once they realised we were in. Not really their fault I suppose as no "Do not Disturb" sign was available (they probably cost too much...).

The "Sausage Beans and Scrambled Egg" breakfast tasted distinctly "value". It was free, but it's true that you get what you pay for. I couldn't finish my egg as it had the texture of an old dish sponge. Warm croissants and jam were very nice however and got rid of the taste of the value beans nicely.

Overall I'd say if you can get a room here for less than Premier Inn, it might be worth it, otherwise I would go there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seasonal_Travel
Helen R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay with Holiday Inn Express Bristol North, i was surprised at such comments you made regarding your stay with us and thought it was slightly unfair and extreme being compared to a “1970’s prison”.
The hotel is of 10 years old however, in 2008 the Reception Breakfast and Corridor areas all underwent a full refurbishment we then in 2012 replaced all Beds and Sofas. We are also in January 2013 having all new TV’s 32inch widescreen which i agree will be much better than the TV’s at present. We are looking to undergo a full refurbishment to all our bedrooms next year which is great for our guest to see all the changes we have done in the past 10 years.
I again thank you for your comments and hope one day you will return to us.
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Although this hotel is really close to a busy road it was so quiet. I has one of the best nights sleep ever. The bed was really comfortable and there was no disturbance at all. The reception staff are a credit to the hotel - all friendly with smiling faces and very helpful when I asked if they could look up a postcode for my satnav. Have just booked to stay there again this week. The food in the pub next door was good as was the breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Helen R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear JanC26
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us, it is great to hear positive feedback and i will pass this on to my team who are a great credit to this hotel.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stopped over for one night as part of a two-day tour of the English countryside. The hotel is nice but a full size bed really doesn't cut it for two people. Thankfully, the couches fold out into beds and that was perfectly adequate. The pub right next to the hotel was very nice and the food was great. Free WiFi only in the lobby, not in the room--a bit of a disappointment. Breakfast the next day was decent. Solid place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Helen R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear tripwarden,
It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and i am glad you found the hotel suitable for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bristol when you are in the area.
Many Thanks