“Hotel Staff and Disabled Facilities”

Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Durham, United Kingdom
“Hotel Staff and Disabled Facilities”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

My wife and I were delighted with the warm welcome we received when we arrived at the hotel. Access into the hotel was easy for a wheelchar so we arrived with no hassle. The staff were really helpful in checking us in and when we entered the specially adapted room for disabled people we were very impressed. The room itself was pleasant and had ample space for wheelcair access. The bathroom was a fully fitted wet room with easily operated shower, a fitted shower stool and plenty of hand grab rails, all in the correct locations. We were advised that there are 7 other similar rooms in the hotel. The hotel is suitably located near the Bristol Parkway Railway Station. It is also in a quiet location.
We would like to thank the hotel staff for looking after us so well and we would like to give a special thank you to Angela who looked after us so well. We would recomend this hotel to all disabled and non disabled people.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
DaivaBagdon, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review. I am really pleased to hear that you found our hotel facilities to high standard and really appreciate your comments regarding Angela. We are very proud of Angela's abilities to provide great customer service and we will make sure her efforts are rewarded.

Thank you once again and we all hope to see you back at the Holiday Inn Express Bristol North in the near future.

Kind regards
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Good points: friendly staff and clean rooms. Bad points: No free Internet in the rooms (12.95 for 24 hrs) and not well signposted off the main road. Aircon was either blowing cold air at me and then hot air - one extreme to the other. Have stayed in better holiday inn express (have stayed in better travelodges to be honest)

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Julala D
ATemple, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting this review following on from your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and the room clean. I am sorry that the in room WIFI did not suit your needs however we do offer free WIFI in the bar area. I am not aware of any issues with the air conditioning temperature controls but I will ensure that our maintenance technician checks them in all the rooms while he is doing his checks.
Yours Sincerely
Andrew Temple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have stayed at various holiday inns/expresses and have yet to find one that 'stands out' among their chain. This hotel was no different and was pretty ordinary. The restaurant across the way is good and the breakfast at this hotel is not bad. All in all - nothing stands out for me...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I am writing to inform you on congratulating a member of your staff (Jack). One late Tuesday evening I arrived at your hotel in desperation of finding a hotel. Firstly he apologized and informed me that all your rooms were sold. At that point I was ready to pick up my belongings and leave when the kind gentleman offered to ring several hotels for me. I was in Bristol on business and therefore did not know the area very well so this was such a kind gesture. He eventually found me a hotel at the Great Western hotel in Henbury named The Henbury Lodge. Not only was this hotel rated 2nd on Tripadvisor it had a restaurant on the side which meted my needs. Your member of staff got the rate down to £95.99 and then went on by printing me off directions from your hotel to theirs. I was astonished at the level of knowledge he had on the local area and the information he was able to provide with in such a quick and professional manner. I am sure his customer service is a credit to your team.

Room Tip: ''Staff here are very helpful''
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
DaivaBagdon, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very proud of Jack and his ability to attend to guests needs efficiently and professionally. I’m sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate you that night but we hope to have you stay with us in the future.

Yours sincerely
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed one Saturday night in Feb 2012. Hotel is very clean and, although busy, was quiet. The room wasn't huge and while adequate for two, might have been a bit cramped if we had a third person using the sofa bed. A nice touch was the labelled 'firm' and 'soft' pillows - although the fact they they offered more than one wafer thin pillow per customer was a plus in itself. A clever feature was the bathroom door which could be pulled inward to 90 degrees to close in front of the toilet, which made the bathroom accessible when someone was using the loo. Buffet breakfast was better than expected with a reasonable range (basic cooked food, cereals, fruit juice, tea and coffee, croissants, rolls, muffins, toast). Plenty of car parking space available, however the hotel is appallingly signposted and I'm sure a not inconsiderable number of people unfamiliar with the area end up driving around looking for the entrance.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Holiday Inn Express Bristol North. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our complimentary hot option breakfast. We would like to thank you for your feedback, we will review the situation and hopefully this won't be an issue in the future.

Yours Sincerely
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Travellers who stay at HI Express will know exactly what to expect here. Everything is functional, clean and basic. On the downside my room had a badly stained sofa, the sink drained only very slowly and the TV remote didn't work - but the TV screen was so small and the channels so limited that this isn't really an issue anyway. Personally I don't like the soap/shampoo dispensers on the wall and I prefer a bath to a shower but all of this is now very standard across the HI Express range. On the upside the staff were friendly and the bar was open (and for once, for IHG, was reasonably priced).
This hotel is always fully booked Mo-Th night due to its proximity to MOD Abbey Wood, has some families and group (e.g. stag/hen) bookings Fr-Sa night and is absolutely deserted on Su night - so negotiate a special rate if staying at the week-end especially Sunday night.
There is a reasonable pub next door and a large Sainsbury right across the road.
Breakfast is pretty ghastly here - reconstituted eggs and sausages made from an unidentifiable animal (or vegetable, I wasn't quite sure) but the cereals, drinks and pastries are all OK and the free (Independent) newspapers are something to read while you munch.
The HI that is about a half mile away is a zillion times more comfortable but this hotel certainly fits the bill for an single overnight stop, especially if you're only sleeping here and either working or being entertained elsewhere.
The car park is free and the hotel is close to a busy roundabout but I wasn't a bit bothered about noise. The rooms have individual controls for heating.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Northampton, UK
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on many occasions on business only because there is little choice because of where I work. The rooms are great, very clean and comfortable with good air-con although some have shocking rooftop views. It’s situated on major roundabout interchange in Filton so don’t expect peace and quiet.

The hotel doesn’t do food (other than breakfast) so you have to eat out in the evenings. The adjacent Fox Den Pub serves very nice food, but it does get a bit boring after a while. Bristol town centre will cost you £40 return by taxi so watch out for that.

Breakfast is canteen style slop but it should keep you going until lunchtime. My biggest and continuing disappointment with this hotel is that they still insist on charging exorbitant 12 hour rates (even though you may only need it for a couple of hours max!) for Wi-Fi access from your room when other major hotel chains are providing an increasingly free service. Although Wi-Fi is free in the bar area.

The Express HI seem to rely on a captive audience and given the choice, I would go elsewhere (which I may just consider next time), but for a short overnight it’s bearable.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business