“A good place for a city centre break”

Novotel Bristol Centre
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We booked three rooms for a family weekend. Booking was easy and the rooms were situated on the same floor. Whilst check in was not until 2 we were able to get our rooms earlier (although the reception staff were a bit grumpy about this!). We had to change one room as it was an interconnecting room and noisy...this was however, no issue. Good nights sleep, reasonably priced parking and plentiful breakfast. All in all good value and we'll definitely return if we find ourselves back in Bristol.

• Stayed: December 2012
TimHowes, General Manager at Novotel Bristol Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we certainly look forward to welcoming you again soon. Tim Howes, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,531)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

It is a good hotel and relatively good value. Let us make it better value. Get rid of the mini bar and kettle and instant coffee. We want free internet. Access to a classical music radio station is also required.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your positive feedback. It is my hope that we will be announcing a change to our internet policy early - mid 2013, once our contract with our current provider comes to an end. In the meantime guests are very welcome to use the two AppleMacs in the lobby free of charge. Tim Howes, General Manager

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here recently on a business trip, having tried the Hilton Garden Inn just up the road previously. There's not a lot between them really. The Novotel feels more comfortable than the Hilton which has more contemporary (sterile?) feel.
The Novotel rooms are considerably bigger than the Hilton and most have sofa beds. The Novotel also has baths, rather than shower cubicles in the Hilton, although the shower over the bath, while decent, isn't quite as good as the Hilton.
Foodwise I only had breakfast and there's not much to choose between the two, but the Novotel will probably edge it in terms of volume and availability of food.
The one major down-side with the Novotel is that WiFi isn't free like in the Hilton. There are various options available but the best value is €9.90 (8.25ish?) for 24 hours.
On balance I'd probably choose the Novotel in Future.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind comments and naturally I am very pleased that we came out on top! Tim Howes, General Manager

Reviewed November 29, 2012

When travelling on business a lot of hotels are very similar but I was really impressed by this hotel. The check in staff were friendly and asked where I would like my room (high or low, front or back) and very efficient. There were also three free internet terminals in reception
My room was very comfortable,clean and bigger than I would have expected. Tea/coffee biscuits/mini bar etc. Only downside was it very warm and the windows didn't open.
Evening food was very nice and reasonably priced, the breakfast was just OK but did have a good choice.
I would say that what made the difference were the staff who provided excellent service and little touches that took this hotel out of the run of the mill class.

1  Thank lisadoeseurope

Thank you for your comments, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted that our staff made the difference. Tim Howes, General Manager

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel is in a good location for business right near the mainlne railway. It is clean relaxing and well appointed and the staff are friendly. It has parking underneath which is vey useful. The rooms are very comfortable - no awful bright colours and wifi/fixed cable internet is provided at a charge.

However, on my last visit the breakfast was well below the standard expected of this grade of hotel. Nearly everyhting cooked had been sitting for too long and was hard or rubbery - you could have built a wall with the scrambled eggs!

There is a large choice of hotels in this area and I will I will think twice about returning when I am next in Bristol, even though I have a loyalty card.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that on this occasion your breakfast fell below your expectations. I firmly believe this was an exception to the rule and sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity to demonstrate this to your on your next visit to Bristol. Tim Howes, General Manager

Reviewed November 25, 2012

One night stay on business - long drive and have to say hotel first class. Friendly and very efficient check in, room excellent and spacious. Restaurant food and service very good and reasonably priced. On check out as I was to be in Bristol all day asked for car parks in area as assumed would need to leave Novotel car park, and delighted to be advised my car could remain in their car park. Had lots of overnight stays recently in various other hotel, and this stood out from the crowd. Thanks

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your generous comments, I am delighted that you were so impressed with our hotel, we hope to welcome you again soon. Tim Howes, General Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My youngest daughter and I have just returned from a weekend in Bristol to visit my eldest daughter who is at uni there. We had a very enjoyable stay at the Novotel and I feel that I made a very good choice.

The Novotel suited our requirements admirably, and I do tend to have high expectations. For me the hotel ticked all the boxes: friendly courteous staff, clean and welcoming public areas, spotlessly clean bedroom and bathroom, good shower with plenty of hot water, good and generous supply of tea/coffee etc, comfortable bed and nice towels, quality breakfast with lots of choice.

My daughter and I enjoyed the breakfast. I liked that the tea/coffee was served at the table in a proper teapot. Also the fresh fruit was lovely and the hot food was nicely cooked. The only thing that I thought would be nice to have that wasn't available was porridge.

We will definitely stay again next time we visit my daughter. I might even book a bigger room so she can stay with us as I am sure she would enjoy a little mini break away from halls!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
TimHowes, General Manager at Novotel Bristol Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for your very kind comments, I am delighted that you found the Novotel to be ideal for your visit to Bristol and we certainly hope to see you again soon. By the way, we do offer porridge at breakfast! Tim Howes, General Manager