“Perfect Birthday Surprise”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 8, 2011

We live in Bristol and therefore surprising to write this review having stayed in the hotel! Let me explain, my wife surprised me for my birthday, as she wanted me to wake up somewhere special on my birthday and this was a perfect place.
Very contemporary rooms - we stayed in the Veuve Cliquot suite and it was beautiful. Huge bed, separate lounge area with 50" Plasma and DVD player, and a mezzanine floor with a massive rainstorm shower and two bath tubs (see the pictures)!
We had dinner downstairs in the restaurant - lovely french cuisine (onion soup followed by sea bass for me) with attentive but not overbearing service.
I expected a much larger bill than we received for dinner, bed and breakfast (approx.£250) so in respect of the quality of product and service great value for money - the meal alone would have been £120.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,296)

Reviewed January 30, 2011

I've been staying st this hotel on and off for over 10 years and its our favourite Hotel du Vin Hotels. Good reception, excellent bar, fine Bistro Dining and an eclectic wine list. Bedrooms and bed linen superb. Recent addition of secondary glazing and a 'airconditioning' system will have solved some of the early bedroom problems of road noise and summer sunshine.

But all the French waiters and waitresses who added to the 'du vin' touch have disappeared and replaced by staff from the east of the EU - who are just not that comfortable with the service industry nor trained up to the level of the French (the Brits often have the same problem by the way). I suspect that the French don't like our 'minimum wage' levels - or maybe they prefer thier 35 hour week?

It was also noticable that general maintenance and bathroom cleaning is not quite up to previous standards. Bathroom toileteries are not so generous and the nice thick cut marmalade is now the cheaper jelly version .......

If this is a result of the MWB Group Chairman's comments last year when he reported that 'the company as a whole was continuing to cut costs' then that is a shame - but it frequently happens when accountants rather than hoteliers run hotels! Or maybe it wasthe fear of breaking Banking covenants.

You have to work hard to retain the accolades of a luxury boutique hotel - cutting costs need to be done with a caution!

1  Thank Longey
Reviewed January 16, 2011

The hotel is a a fantastic conversion of an old mill set right in the centre of Bristol. It is very handy for the docks, Park Street and the newly built Cabot Circus.

My partner and I were celebrating our anniversary in Bristol and the hotel, the food and the staff all combined to make it a fantastic stay.

The room was enormous and featured a queen size bed, oversized free standing bath tub and walk through monsoon shower. The bedding was really luxurious, the bath robes big and fluffy and we even got to take away the Hotel du Vin branded toiletries!

We ate in the restaurant on the Friday night. The atmosphere in the restaurant is relaxed and unfussy, the food is honest, hearty French cuisine and the wine list as extensive as you'd expect.

What made the stay really exceptional however was the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to make our anniversary truly special.

Reviewed January 5, 2011

I have lived in Bristol for 7 years and have always been aware of the hotels unrivalled reputation. A special occasion was a perfect excuse to book a room...

First impression - The hotel is in a beautiful and respectful warehouse conversion. The courtyard really is a beautiful greeting; this was continued when we opened the door to find an open fire next to the check in desk. It was roaring away in an original brick hearth and chimney. The check in was very streamlined and quick. The member of staff very helpful and asking all the relevant questions. We opted to find our own room and have an explore. You cross through the bar to get to the lift; the bar was just beautiful. Original slate flooring, open fires and low leather sofas; the lighting was perfect for the impression they are trying to create.

Room - We had booked the 'Veuve Cliquot' room. Listed on the website as a large loft room with mezzanine level, chapel facing. The room was beautiful. Downstairs there was a huge oversized bed, reclining sofa and a sitting room with leather sofa's and desk seperated y heavy curtains. There was 2 TV's in the room. A normal sized TV facing the bed and a 50" (if not bigger) TV in the seperate sitting room. Generally I would think that this would be too big but it was set out of sight of the rest of the room and perfectly placed. Upstairs was mind blowing! A huge monsoon shower which was the best shower I've ever experienced in a hotel room. There were also 2 roll top baths set in the middle of the hardwood floor next to each other with just enough room for a champagne cooler! My partner is cabin crew and it was still the best hotel room we have both stayed in. Including 5* hotels around the world. The room had all the amenities needed including fresh coffee and milk and a cafetiere. Just perfect.

Sleep Quality - This bed is by far the most comfortable bed we have both had in a hotel. It's very big and just firm enough to support your spine. The linen is beautiful. We slept like babies! People have written about injuries to their shins, etc. To be honest, I got up in the night more than once and just remembered to step over the bed frame; unless you have no memory and forget you're not at your own home this is not a problem. The room had windows looking over a chapel next door. We did not hear any traffic noise once we'd fallen asleep. The heavy curtains covering the windows and sitting area may have provided some insulation. I read a few reviews where people were reccommending that the hotel owners install double glazing; short sightedness was what came to mind in those cases. If you choose to stay in a listed building hotel you should expect windows and exterior facings not being up to modern building standards; these aspects can not be changed under the regulations. To my mind uPVC windows would not be a welcome addition to such a beautiful building.

Breakfast - The quality of the food was very high indeed. It was beautiful. Locally sourced ingredients for the cooked breakfasts and a rustic bread basket. Freshly squeezed orange juice, pastries, everything you could want. The restaurant is a beautiful setting to enjoy such a nice start to the day.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I read a few reviews before i booked but paid little attention. I'm so glad I did as this hotel was beautiful. Negativities from picky people should not be in your mind as you walk into this hotel; it'll only ruin your stay. Sit back and enjoy...

1  Thank Pedro2011
Reviewed December 22, 2010

We stayed here for a special treat, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms had charm and we beautifully presented (and very large!). It definitely felt like a special treat to stay there! (We did not eat in so cannot comment on the food and service)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Had a fabulous stay in Freixenet large king size room. Bed lovely and comfortable with Hugh thread count linen. Had a few bruised shins from the extra wide wooden bed surround. Only really negatives though are the lack of parking, the see through bathroom doors (no
one wants to be that familiar!) and slightly noisy plumbing but none of these were enough to make this anything but an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed November 19, 2010

My husband and I were invited here for a business evening and decieded to stay overnight. We are in the hospitality trade and are usually critical of other organisations. However, our short stay at this establishment was a great experience due to the fantastic staff. From the girls on the desk, who could not have been more helpful. The waiting staff from those serving canapes to those in the resturant and bar could not have been more friendly. The kitchen staff were obliging (we eat late - way after they should have stopped serving) through to the cheerful staff at five o'clock in the morning. They all came across as intelligent and highly professional. Along with an excellent room, the whole experience was an absolute pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business