“EXCELLENT!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Ideally situated in the centre of Bristol - perfect for a weekend break or longer. Our stay was as a surprise for a special birthday treat and this hotel was ideal in every way. Friendly and attentive staff who were willing to deal with any request we might have. We were in the Harvey Suite which overlooks the city centre. This is a large room with every amenity. It has a large bathroom with free-standing bath with a large tiled area at the back of the bathroom as a shower wet room. In addition, the suite has French doors leading on to a decked area which has wrought iron tables and chairs together with large freestanding lanterns which may be lit from the bedroom. Also, the balcony had large potted shrubs. Dinner and breakfast were both superb and the restaurant staff were very knowledgeable when we were considering menus. All in all - this hotel is well worth a visit!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lorraine J, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review of the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and were well looked after.
I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Derbyshire
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stopped visiting this hotel about 4 years ago and when the holding company was experiencing problems with their bankers and when cost cutting was beginning to show. Now following a takeover it is very much improved and back to the standard you would expect for the price. Excellent service in all areas, very commendable and enjoyable food, and staff that really seem to enjoy their job - an excellent and attentive lady Maitre 'd.

Well done!

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room facing the front - Bristol traffic gets worse and worse and noise will keep you...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lorraine J, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you found Hotel du Vin back to our old standards and were well looked after. I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is a fun hotel created within an old sugar warehouse so it's just a bit quirky which helps it to stand out from the unremitting ordinariness of most modern hotels. We stayed one night for a birthday celebration. The staff were friendly and helpful and out bedroom was big and comfortable. The shower and bath were verging on the luxurious but some of the woodwork was scratched and obviously a bit tired. Tea and coffee making facilities were good. The mini bar was well stocked. The bed was big and comfortable if a bit low to the floor, and the TV was well positioned for easy viewing from bed. Family members including an eight year old and a five year old came for dinner. Male bar staff were slow to appreciate that we needed to order drinks, see the menus, order dinner and get into the dining room fairly quickly for the children's sake. This is mainly a business hotel so I suppose they could be excused not appreciating our dilemma. Dinner was good bistro fare but not exceptional. Steaks were well cooked. Moules were lovely. Chips straight out of the pan. Ice creams generous. Breakfast next morning was lovely. Coffee hot and strong. Fresh fruit. Lots of choices. Attentive waitress who struck the right blend of speed, friendliness and quiet authority. Check out quick and easy. We'll go again.

Room Tip: Choose back of the hotel to avoid nocturnal city centre noises
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. Your feedback has been very valid and I will ensure it is passed on to our bar manager so that we can improve for the future. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can welcome you back.
cornwall
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Firstly on the surface this is a vey nice hotel, the reception/bar and restaurant area is lovely and I loved the look of the champagne suite we stayed in. There are tea/coffee making facilities in the room and the bathroom was lovely. There were however some signs of wear and tear, the bathroom ceiling had obviously had a leak and was in need of redecorating, the velux window in the bathroom had never been cleaned and the grouting and paint work was looking grubby and badly maintained. But the biggest let down in this hotel is the staff, there is no warmth in the welcome and everyone seemed the same, it was as though they were doing us a favour to allow us to stay there.

I paid £220 for a night (without breakfast) and for this I would expect the best service (especially as other rooms in Bristol hotels are half the price). So if, on the surface, you want a beautiful looking hotel but not much else, then this is the place for you, but if you prefer something more for your money, like a personality and the personal touch, then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

1 Thank blackcornish1964
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I was very disappointed to hear that our staff did not look after you as we pride ourselves on great customer care at HOtel du Vin, and clearly on this occasion, you were let down. If you would like to contact me directly, I would be eager to hear in more detail what went wrong so that we can take steps to rectify. Thank you.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

What a wonderful time we all had at our Birthday Brunch in the Ruinart Room at Hotel du Vin! Your staff, headed by Kamil, were so attentive, and provided efficient and courteous service, both in the bar and at the table.

The Brunch was beyond our expectations, the Market Table the star of the show but closely followed by the Main Courses, which were excellent and plentiful. The photographer we organised ourselves was able to do her work in the nearby room which you kindly provided. The party finished just before 6pm, the serving of the courses of the brunch fitting in perfectly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Sunday Brunch. We are delighted that you enjoyed the experience and you were well looked after by Kamil. I hope we will see you all again soon at Hotel du Vin.
Long Bennington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in November last year. As is usual offered my credit card to be pre-authorised at check in. It was for the room rate plus £ 50.
So far so good !
When I checked out I settled the bill £ 214 and thought nothing of it. I noticed a few days later that the pre-authorisation had not been used to settle this and I had two transactions one for £ 179 the pre-authorisation, and one for £ 214 the actual bill. So all in all £ 393 for a one night stay.
When I contacted the hotel the front desk gave me excellent service and checked the transaction agreed that a mistake had been made and confirmed that they would rectify it.
I week later the funds had still not been returned to the card. so I contacted my card operator and they said that there was a transaction and they needed the opposite merchant to confirm it had been cancelled before the money would be freed up on the card. They also said that they had a form they use in these circumstances that would allow them to cancel it, but only if the merchant signed a 1 page form to say that the transaction was not valid and they would not try to charge the card in future. All pretty straight forward at the moment, apart from It is me doing all the work to get my £ 179 back.
I spoke to the hotel, who said that they would get the accountant from Bristol to ring me back. I have her name, but will spare you that. Anyway she said that she had not seen one of these forms before and therefore she would not sign it. I asked her to call the card company and explain, she said that she wouldn't and added that due to data protection they would not talk to her either. My card company had earlier offered to call her and had done so, but to no avail.
When I asked her how she imagined that my money, (who Hotel du Vin Bristol has charged me in error) was to be returned to me ? she said that if after a month the transaction hadn't been returned then I should contact my card company. She refused to help ANY further !
She refused point blank to help me, she had no concept of customer service and she was quiet direct and rude on the phone. She kept trying to educate me in how the system works. Even though i have operated several businesses within the industry and am more than familiar with the data protection act.
Now just to be clear, I have stayed in Hotel Du Vin many, many times the service the rooms and the food & wine are always outstanding. I know the original owner who started the concept and they have delivered the dream in a professional and consistent manner over the years in all locations.
Back room, non customer facing employees that do not have a concept of customer service have completely spoilt this for me. I have written to head office to make a formal complaint, but as yet have recieved no response or acknowledgement.

Where do I go from here ????

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Finbar4
Thank you for your review and for your honest feedback. We would like to assure you that such standards of customer service are not acceptable at Hotel du Vin and we will take the appropriate action to ensure a situation like this does not occur again. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and I believe it was rectified in due course.
UK and Spain
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I've always wanted to stay in the Hotel du Vin (in spite of living 20 minutes away!) and for my birthday my partner booked us a one night stay. It is a beautiful, characterful hotel with lots of atmosphere and is a very relaxing place to be. Our studio room was beautifully furnished and as previous reviews have noted, the bathroom was to die for, I had a soak in the roll top bath whilst my partner said the shower was like a deluge! A couple of small complaints - why is it that wherever we go there is never enough space to put your stuff in the bathroom? I hate having to spread sponge bags on the floor and here was no exception. There is was no table of shelf near the bath, so putting an end to any dreams of a book and a glass of wine whilst you soak. Also the whole suite was very dark. It makes for a relaxed atmosphere but was a real issue in the bathroom as we couldn't see to apply make up/have a shave. Everything else was as you would expect from a hotel of this class. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We didn't eat in the Bistro but had a drink in the comfortable bar before we went out. The range of breakfast choices was great. A tablecloth would have been nice though. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lorraine J, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give is your feedback on your recent stay. The points you have raised regarding the lighting in the rooms and the extrs space required for toiletries have been duely noted and we shall endeavour to remedy this.
Your time and your feedback have been much appreciated and we hope we can welcome you back in the future.