“Poor food, terrible atmosphere”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of IROKO Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
IROKO Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: African
“Poor food, terrible atmosphere”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Ate here a couple of months ago but the restaurant wasn't listed on here at the time.

A very similar experience to the other reviewers. I had assumed given the 'value' price and a scan of the menu that there would be a selection of full dishes. I rang in advance as my friend doesn't eat red meat and was told the selections would be adjusted. It didn't sound then like we'd have any choice in what we were eating (beyond meat content), but we have an open mind and it was a tasting platter after all, £51 is a lot of food.

We arrived at 7ish to find one other set of diners who were just finishing, we were sat down the other end of the restaurant by the window. Orders were taken for drinks and we were left to it, no explanation of what we were getting or when.

It was at this point that a large screen was pulled next to our table, in front of the window. Our food (as described by most of the other diners so I won't go on to detail, but certainly not £51 worth!!) was brought out, and the back of the restaurant started to fill up with men drinking beer, odd. Then the screen was turned on, and the football came on!! The very football I'd come out with my friend to avoid as it was on at home!

Being 2 women on their own in a place full of men we didn't feel comfortable saying anything, we just finished our food as quickly as possible and left. To clarify, we didn't feel threatened, just incredibly uncomfortable, and certainly not like paying customers!

1 Thank Laura_g_bristol

Bristol, England
“A wasted opportunity to showcase”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Went on a Groupon offer for £20.40 with an alleged value of £51 and have to say, I wouldn’t have liked to pay more than what we did. I had been wanting to try this place for ages, following the demise of the previous John’s Place Thai restaurant that we used to frequent there, and having never eaten Nigerian food, I was really looking forward to trying what they had to showcase.

We went on a Thursday evening, although we needn’t have booked, as we were initially the only ones there, later joined by two other couples, who were also on a Groupon deal.

The offer was for a ‘tasting platter’ plus two glasses of wine. I had the two wines, whilst my partner had a bottle of beer. There were no choices given (not even asked if either of us were vegetarian) and food consisted of a small plate of shop-bought coleslaw and potato salad with a slice of tomato and a few pieces of lettuce, and shortly after, we were presented with a sharing plate consisting of some spicy tomato rice, one chicken drumstick each, a few slices of fried plantain and some sort of fishy bean-curd thing. I can’t say I disliked the food, as it was quite tasty, but it was nothing special and certainly not worth £51, which would have been a complete rip-off!

We were not offered desserts or coffee and having sat there with our empty plates for a while, eventually asked how much we owed him for the beer (£4, no bill provided). We were in, out and home within an hour, so not a very special evening out, and worst of all, I was still hungry when I got home!

I think they have completely missed the point of a Groupon deal, which is to showcase what you have to offer in order to tempt you back for a repeat visit – needless to say, that won’t be happening in our case – sorry, but you had your chance!

2 Thank badgeress
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Terrible do not go there”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We went on the groupon deal. Came away starving. Food was as described in the other reviews but our chicken portion was one measly drumstick each. The waiter was innattentive and we we sorely dissapointed. This meal was supposed to be worth £51 for two people with glass wine each. I would say worth no more than £20 and portions lunch size. Awful.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Authentic African cuisine and cultural ambience in the heart of Bristol”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We were trying out this restaurant on a Groupon deal which offered a 'taster' of Nigerian food, and were pleased that this turned out to be a large platter of chicken, spicy rice, moi moi (a steamed bean pudding, quite delicious) and fried plantain, which came with a refreshing side salad and a glass of wine. These exotic tastes were a wonderful antidote to the bitter weather - it was below freezing on the night we went - and although the restaurant looks a bit austere, though elegant, we were made very welcome. Despite our early-evening booking, the atmosphere was lively: this seems like a place much appreciated by those who have discovered it!

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Nice, not amazing food and poor service made for a disappointing experience”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Went here on a Groupon deal - think paid £19 for a 'tasting platter for 2'. Booked but needn't have as only one other couple there who looked like they were on Groupon too.
Restaurant and bar area was nice and first impressions very good. Both had soft drink which was bottle/can rather than on tap (a plus!) and only had enough for one diet Coke but no real issue with that.
We were told food would be about 10 minutes, which it was. We were first brought a plate of salad which consisted of lettuce, tomato and what I believe was shop-bought potato salad and coleslaw. Not horrible or anything, just a little odd. We started eating assuming this was a starter but then the platter arrived.
The waiter explained to us what was on the platter but other than jollof rice and fried plaintain I couldn't tell you what it was! There was a piece of chicken each (thigh) in a spicy tomato sauce and some sort of stuff which was apparently made from beans and three types of fish. The taste and consistency was akin to jars of fish paste my gran used to buy! Not unpleasant and to be fair we did eat it all! The plaintain was lovely and the rest was fine.
We finished and eventually (after some time) had our plates taken away but we weren't offered coffee or dessert. Probably would have gone for coffee and poss something sweet if anything decent on the menu, bringing in some much-needed revenue!
I just felt they could have made a bit more effort with us. Bearing in mind they weren't making much money that night because of Groupon taking half what we paid, they could probably have doubled or even trebled their takings for the night!
Disappointing despite initial very good impressions and we won't go back.

1 Thank Eurochic28