“OK - but go out for breakfast”

The Regency Bristol Hotel
Ranked #38 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The hotel room was fine with comfortable beds, though a 'shoe-horned in' en-suite.
However the (expensive) breakfast was an ordeal...
- It took nearly an hour
- We asked for two vegetarian breakfasts; got one and a meaty one (after being told there were no vegetarian sausage). They eventually replaced the meaty one.
- The meagre portions were pitiful. We had to ask for more, and were reluctantly served a few more beans and mushrooms.
- We had only one slice of cheap white toast, each. And that cold.
- They were unable to do a pot of tea. A tea bag in hot water sir?
- Coffee was the dregs of a pot, reluctantly topped up with more dregs.

Go out for breakfast and save yourselves £8 (pre-booked) or £9 each.

Room Tip: Single glazed windows at the front face onto what is a noisy road in the mornings. They may have qu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 26, 2013

An unhelpful receptionist was a bad start. Badly appointed small hotel. Room had a smell, stained carpet, was noisy due to single glazing. Bed was comfortable, no valance revealed a stained bed base. Bathroom , a joke, a partition off area at the end of the bedroom. I had to walk sideways to reach shower, past wash basin. Impossible, to either shave or wash face in basin. When I leaned over basin, my rear touched the wall , water splashing walks and floor. I'm a size 8, five foot two inches lady, not sure how a large gentleman would manage. Tiny shower space.
A totally poor value, with inadequate facilities, hotel stay.
When I made comment to receptionist regarding the inadequacies of the facilities, she shrugged her shoulders ?!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LizzieC925
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed recently in The Regency Bristol hotel and what a delight!
I was acknowledged immediately as I walked through the door by a lovely young gentleman called Francis. Now, I know I can be quite a fussy customer, but from the moment I stepped in the front door I was waited on like royalty!
Any queries or issues I had, if any, were dealt with promptly and to the maximum ability of the staff. I often stay in Bristol as I have business and family there And will definitely be returning to stay again.
Thank you to The Regency Hotel in Bristol for a wonderful stay! I will be back soon for another warm and welcoming time!
CHEERS GUYS!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank joshbirnie91
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Area is good, especially if you are here for the university (as we were).

Room was a bit on the small size, good bed and closet space. There was some dampness smell in the room.
Window was not isolating from the outside cold at all but it was ok for November with the heating. Can’t imagine how cold it will be in January.

Shower water not hot enough. Towels will not get dry for next shower as bathroom is small and no window. Need to have hooks to dry the towels not in the bathroom.

No elevator in the hotel so this is not for everyone.

Hotel reception workers are nice people, with no knowledge about tours in the city at winter time.

Breakfast – horrible for me, husband said it is ok. You are asked how you want your egg and then you get a plate with some baked mushrooms and tomato, egg and sausage (vegetarian sausage is blah) and one slice of bread. It is very annoying not to be able to see and choose what to eat.

we will try another hotel at this beautiful city if we ever come back.
Would be back to this hotel as last resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I got the hotel phone number from my friend who stayed there before. I didn't book through any booking agency as I was told booking directly is cheaper, which is true. When I arrived the hotel receptionist was helpful, the room was clean and cozy, thought it was a bit small. Only 5-10 minutes walk to the very busy city centre so good choice for people who enjoy city night life. What's a no for me is breakfast, which is too expensive for the money spent and the food you get.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I rang the hotel before I booked and was assured I would get a parking space easily - I did not. It took me 45 minutes to find a space down a dark back alley, with empty alcohol bottles lying in it, 5 minute walk away from the hotel. My money was taken from me on arrival before I had even seen the room which I thought was rude.

The room was awful. It was a basement room and it was cold and damp. There was a flimsy wooden door that led to a small yard outside. Behind the small yard was a dark alleyway. I said to the gentleman on reception that I was uncomfortable as it did not seem very secure and I was a young woman travelling on my own. He said it was secure and he could not move me to another room. In the night the gate to the yard opened (I dont know why) and the wooden door didnt shut properly so I hardly think it was secure.

The room itself was dirty - there were big black hairs in the bathroom and on the bed and there were stains on the carpet. The radiator was full of rust and filthy dirty.

The website said that there was a restaurant open till 10pm (this was reiterated in the welcome pack) but when I asked to reserve a table I was told the restaurant was closed. I asked why and the gentleman in the bar just said 'unforseen circumstances'. A second gentleman on reception eventually told me that the restaurant had 'gone bust recently'. I asked him when but he wouldnt tell me. I dont think its fair that people are booking this hotel expecting a restaurant that is no longer in business. I had to go out and find my own restaurant.

The walls are paper thin and I could hear everything that was going on beside me and above me.

Breakfast was a joke - everything was cold and it was very limited. The bowls and plates were dirty.

On my departure I told the lady on reception all of the above and I have heard nothing back from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank katiehunter87
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week it's a nice hotel reasonable price. Staff at reception are friendly and really helpful. Room is tidy and clean, new. It's cozy. Not far from city centre, shopping centre is within walking distance. Sure I'll stay here again and will let my friends know about this hotel .

• Stayed: November 2013