“Pleasant and accommodating staff”

The Regency Bristol Hotel
Ranked #36 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed recently in The Regency Bristol hotel and what a delight!
I was acknowledged immediately as I walked through the door by a lovely young gentleman called Francis. Now, I know I can be quite a fussy customer, but from the moment I stepped in the front door I was waited on like royalty!
Any queries or issues I had, if any, were dealt with promptly and to the maximum ability of the staff. I often stay in Bristol as I have business and family there And will definitely be returning to stay again.
Thank you to The Regency Hotel in Bristol for a wonderful stay! I will be back soon for another warm and welcoming time!
CHEERS GUYS!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank joshbirnie91

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Area is good, especially if you are here for the university (as we were).

Room was a bit on the small size, good bed and closet space. There was some dampness smell in the room.
Window was not isolating from the outside cold at all but it was ok for November with the heating. Can’t imagine how cold it will be in January.

Shower water not hot enough. Towels will not get dry for next shower as bathroom is small and no window. Need to have hooks to dry the towels not in the bathroom.

No elevator in the hotel so this is not for everyone.

Hotel reception workers are nice people, with no knowledge about tours in the city at winter time.

Breakfast – horrible for me, husband said it is ok. You are asked how you want your egg and then you get a plate with some baked mushrooms and tomato, egg and sausage (vegetarian sausage is blah) and one slice of bread. It is very annoying not to be able to see and choose what to eat.

we will try another hotel at this beautiful city if we ever come back.
Would be back to this hotel as last resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I got the hotel phone number from my friend who stayed there before. I didn't book through any booking agency as I was told booking directly is cheaper, which is true. When I arrived the hotel receptionist was helpful, the room was clean and cozy, thought it was a bit small. Only 5-10 minutes walk to the very busy city centre so good choice for people who enjoy city night life. What's a no for me is breakfast, which is too expensive for the money spent and the food you get.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I rang the hotel before I booked and was assured I would get a parking space easily - I did not. It took me 45 minutes to find a space down a dark back alley, with empty alcohol bottles lying in it, 5 minute walk away from the hotel. My money was taken from me on arrival before I had even seen the room which I thought was rude.

The room was awful. It was a basement room and it was cold and damp. There was a flimsy wooden door that led to a small yard outside. Behind the small yard was a dark alleyway. I said to the gentleman on reception that I was uncomfortable as it did not seem very secure and I was a young woman travelling on my own. He said it was secure and he could not move me to another room. In the night the gate to the yard opened (I dont know why) and the wooden door didnt shut properly so I hardly think it was secure.

The room itself was dirty - there were big black hairs in the bathroom and on the bed and there were stains on the carpet. The radiator was full of rust and filthy dirty.

The website said that there was a restaurant open till 10pm (this was reiterated in the welcome pack) but when I asked to reserve a table I was told the restaurant was closed. I asked why and the gentleman in the bar just said 'unforseen circumstances'. A second gentleman on reception eventually told me that the restaurant had 'gone bust recently'. I asked him when but he wouldnt tell me. I dont think its fair that people are booking this hotel expecting a restaurant that is no longer in business. I had to go out and find my own restaurant.

The walls are paper thin and I could hear everything that was going on beside me and above me.

Breakfast was a joke - everything was cold and it was very limited. The bowls and plates were dirty.

On my departure I told the lady on reception all of the above and I have heard nothing back from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank katiehunter87
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week it's a nice hotel reasonable price. Staff at reception are friendly and really helpful. Room is tidy and clean, new. It's cozy. Not far from city centre, shopping centre is within walking distance. Sure I'll stay here again and will let my friends know about this hotel .

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank bfbeacon
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel at the beginning of this month. It is a very lovely hotel with friendly staff who are helpful. Clean room, not very big, tho. Good thing is you can use Gym and pool though it's 5 mins walk down there. We'd definitely like to stay here again if we come to Bristol again, and we are happy to recommend to our friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here for two nights. The first night I was in a room in the basement, which had a french window which I could not close after I had opened it in the morning, a large damp patch on the wall, a shabby shower with black stains by the drain, and no bedside table or shelf - all this despite the hotel's website saying that all their rooms have been newly-refurbished. This one clearly hadn't been. I was moved to another room for the second night which was completely fine, with a very comfortable bed. The shower was pretty small though, and the room was noisy, as it overlooked the street with the wheelie bins.
As others have said, breakfast at £6.95 is over-priced. Basic cereals and juice but no yoghurt, for example. Coffee was brought to the table in a mug. I opted for poached eggs on toast but the (dry) toast was stone cold and the eggs were virtually solid. I sent it back, but the second time was hardly any better, and I had to ask for salt and pepper.
Overall my stay was disappointing. The staff I dealt with, particularly the young woman on the reception desk and the young man on duty in the breakfast room were very pleasant and friendly, but that doesn't compensate for having to move to another room and such a bad breakfast experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo