“Avoid Avoid Avoid”

The David Lloyd Club
Reviewed July 7, 2012

If you are thinking of joining David Lloyd in Bristol think again. My advice is to avoid it at all costs otherwise it will cost you in terms of money, poor service and ultimately stress. There are easier, nicer, friendlier, cheaper and more effective ways of keeping fit and socialising. Go to reviewcentre.com and see nearly 400 reviews which tell you what David Lloyd is really like.

10  Thank wilson112

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Did'nt like the staff, the food was'nt good and changing rooms were'nt clean

8  Thank Michael1224
Reviewed December 4, 2011

If David Lloyd wish to host events for children's activities, like dance academies, they really need to provide basic amenities like the ability to purchase water or juice. Disgusted that a company like this can host an event for kids between the ages of 3 and 7 and not sell drinks on the premises unless you are a member. Totally unsuitable and unprepared for events like this! Stick to ripping off your own members in future and don't take money for events you can't accommodate.

11  Thank pixelpot
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I live in Cheam and normally use that club when the chance arises. However, with a 9 month stint in Bristol with work I was afforded the chance to use this club daily.
I assumed, given the lack of health club competition that this club might not be up to the standards of London clubs. I was wrong, very wrong. From the moment I stepped through the door on my first day in Bristol to the last day in December last year I had a great time.
Food - I ate here sunday to thursday night every week and only sent one side order back to the kitchen in that time.
Personal Training - I spent 6 weeks with Simon W and lost 3 stone overall. I must say that I trained twice daily with a very strict diet to do this - anyone who doesn't believe me then fine but I have the clothes to prove it, nothing fits any more!!
Cleanliness - cleaners were always busy at 6.30 in the morning and tables were always cleaned up when plates were finished. Thanks to Malwena and Sam for their attentiveness at the bar.
Classes - never did any but you can see from the numbers of people that do take them that they are hugely successful.
Tennis - I am not a racquets member but the size and friendliness of the members was there for all to see.
Family feel - the childrens swimming classes usually meant the bar was packed on that night of the week and it felt as though this club was the centre of the community.
Squash - not my thing but the club has a huge league and they were there 2 nights a week.
Outdoor pool - not there to use it really given long work hours but well equipped and large enough. Outdoor bar as well.

Overall, this club put my local Cheam club to shame and I miss Bristol DLL very much.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 31, 2007

We decided to visit our local David Lloyd club in Worthing, West Sussex as part of a "Times" newspaper free 2 day pass which I found out by chance.

I have to admit, unless you have serious money or like to "keep up with the Jones' " you will feel yourselves out of place and made to feel uncomfortable. For most families on average incomes, paying around £165 per month for what in our case will be mainly swimming and a bit of tennis is extreemly excessive. However, I guess that is the market rate for these sorts of clubs and the amont of Audi's and BMW's in the car park said it all.

Yes, the club is posh, but really caters more for the wealthy professionals, rather than families. I think the staff's and marketing approach goes that way.The swimming pool is a very simple basic pool with 2 small areas at the end for the kids. The kids were not allowed to use the outdoor pool, and 2 thirds of the main pool was laned off, for "serious swimmers". Both myself and my wife could not use the jacuzzi together as the kids were not allowed to go in, being under 13 years. You don't have this problem in other hotels or Centre Parcs with tubs. So we took turns whilst one of us supervised the kids.

We brought our tennis rackets with us for a "knock about" on one of the spare indoor courts. We were having a great time. The kids loved it. After a short while, we were approached by some club member who scrutinised us on whether we had the right footware on court as he had concerns that we may mark the court. We had the right footware which he said "oh I believe you" in a sarcastic manner before trying to check the soles himself! He had all the latest tennis gear with some machine of his pumping out 50 tennis balls at a time, returning them at record speeds. Sorry we didn't fit in with your high standards, we just wanted a family "knock about " game.We were made to feel very uncomfortable with our apparent lack of the latest trends and chit chat, so we left.
On leaving, our pass for the 2nd day was taken by staff so my wife could not come back later on in the day on her own to use the hot tub.

If you want to be up there with the Jones' then this is the place for you. If not then just stick to the more customer friendly clubs/sports centres. You may not get the latest facilities or equipment, but you get treated with more respect.

18  Thank David S