“Very good food, great service, interesting surroundings - worth a visit”
Review of The Old Bookshop

The Old Bookshop
Ranked #219 of 1,677 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Old Bookshop is a small, eclectic cafe/bar that serves good food at a fair price. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. The walls are covered in old photographs, typewriters and curiosities. We have guest chefs and pop-up kitchens each month, so menu changes regularly. Don't expect a stuffy restaurant, we are just a quirky little bar that does great food! We also serve delicious cocktails. Our smoking garden has a wood burner to keep you warm on chilly evenings.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Ate here with my wife and a friend. The place is dog friendly and we'd intended to take the pooches but didn't bother in the end - worth remembering for the future though. The atmosphere is really buzzing and the place has a really good feel to it, lots of interesting curios hanging from the ceiling, on the bar and the walls etc. We went a bit overboard with the tapas and ordered way too much but it was all lovely (the waitress warned us but we didn't listen!). Some really innovative dishes plus some tapas classics that were very well executed . All in all we had a very good evening, the service was excellent and the staff very friendly and chatty, the food was very tasty and really good value and they have a great selection of drinks. Well worth a visit and worthy of it's high TA standing in my view.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

6 of us regularly meet up trying different places around Bristol - after reading reviews on TA decided to take a trip to the old bookshop, from the outside it looks like it has alot of character and it certainly does. Entering we grabbed a seat at the front and admired the quirky decor that really adds something. You order food and drinks at the front bar, all Tapas food is written up on a blackboard reasonably priced at £4 for all dishes (I have visited other tapas bars for the dish sizes to be small for the price) however each couple ordered 5-6 dishes between them so we spent about £10 - £12 each on food. Dishes started coming out and were a good size, we were more than full after finishing off the dishes. The food was very tasty, well cooked and thought had been put into the flavours. Overall we all really enjoyed our evening here the girls who served us were really friendly and welcoming, by the end people were waiting for tables. I'd suggest getting here early to get a table as it filled up quickly on the Thursday night we went. We couldn't fault any of our night and it was nice to be in such a relaxed atmosphere with such good service and food 5*..

Reviewed February 24, 2013

What a great little place, full of antiquities that breed curiosity. We only went for Sunday lunch with friends but the Service was quick and the food was satisfying. Loved it! It seems to have a whole host of events and activities during the week so hopefully I will sample that on my next visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My third attempt to get a table here, but worth waiting for. Superb and inventive tapas style food, amazing value for money, vibrant atmosphere, wonderful staff ... everything about it is spot on. The only downside is is everyone wants to be there and it's tiny. But I'll be back.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Teeny bar that does great food at amazing prices .. Packed every day of the week it is a victim of its own success ..eclectic food ..don't expect a formal restaurant more a place to experiment with tappas style dishes while enjoying a beer. I realy should not be reviewing this place as it is already rammed ..but it's my favourite down to earth place to eat ...if you can get a table...( actually don't go there ;-) I want to!
Or go in the day for a lovely peacefully cup of tea in a china pot!