“Great service and host”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Loved this place and went weekly over my 4month stay in Bristol. Mein host was very friendly and the place for me had a lovely atmosphere. My meal was a mince rump steak burger, sounds simple but it was gorgeous. Water was automatically brought to your table for the meal which I think I a nice touch. Felt so comfortable there. Would recommend highly to others

2  Thank baggieb0y

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just been for dinner here. Found it via trip advisor as we don't know Bristol and visiting my son who's at uni here. First impressions as we walked in... There was a group of young men in the bar who were very loud and dominated the restaurant even though they weren't eating! The tables were very tight together and glad there were only 2 of us. Not 4. Ordered bread and 4 tapas ( they don't do main courses anymore and haven't been able to change their website as their webmaster has disappeared so couldn't update it to reflect this ! )Told our waiter we'd start with these 4 dishes and order more ' no problem ' we were told. Food was absolutely delicious. Tried to order 4 more dishes but told there would be around a 45 minute wait .. So didn't bother. We paid the bill then offered a cocktail as they could tell we werent entirely happy. Very nice . Then 10 mins later told that he didn't have time to make them as they had a party of 12 in. They did plonk 2 glasses of amaretto on the table while they said this .such a shame as what we ate was lovely. But the whole evening felt like a mad hatter's tea party !Back at our hotel now and ordered room service .

2  Thank Surreyadventurer
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I booked a table when we visited Bristol for her birthday. We'd seen reviews on trip advisor and thought the british tapas sounded very appealing.

When we arrived, if the taxi driver hadn't have pointed it out to use I'm not sure we'd have found it - very hidden from the highstreet! When we got inside it was unlike any restaurant we'd ever been in. Small, cosy, slightly retro styling, fantastic atmosphere and exceptionally friendly and helpful staff (no windows but that just seems to make it cosier though). The one thing that bugged me a bit though was that for some reason the whole place smelt like my nans house! I couldn't really smell any food, just a kind of old people musty smell?! This is stranger still as the average age of the customers seemed to be early to mid 20s.

The menu is huge with loads to choose from so we asked the waitress for a pen and paper and wrote down our own selections as we picked them rather than decide what we were having and then try to recount and relay the previous 15 minute's decision making! I'd reccomend this as a tip to all!!

Anyway, we went for the 10 dishes for £40 option and had a feast! Its a little on the pricey side when you consider the portion size - only just though. Maybe £35 would be a bit more acceptable, but then you start eating and all is forgiven as the quality becomes evident! We chose a wide variety of items, some hot, some cold, some meat, some fish, some vegetarian. All exactly as described on the menu and all really delicious!

Worth noting though that the portion sizes are single portions per dish, so the mini burger is a single one that we chopped in half - mini fish and chips is a small bowl of chips and a single battered fish goujon etc. Me and the wife share everything so this isn't a problem for us at all, but I do know some people that aren't good with sharing (particularly food), so bear that in mind when you order.

I'd send friends and family here without paying it a second thought knowing that there's something for everyone and that everyone would leave happy.

If you live in bristol and haven't been - shame on you! And if you're planning to visit, then put it on your to do list as its a real gem!

2  Thank Diquet
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very moody dimly lit restaurant serving some very tasty food.
My wife and I opted for the British tapas to share. We managed to get the meal slightly cheaper as we arrived when it had just opened and I believe there is an early bird offer until around 6:30-7pm.
The tapas was served on a huge wooden chopping board and was beautiful.
Quite a large choice of tapas dishes too!
Service was great also (even though our Waiter looked a little like James Blunt but we forgave him)! :)
I'd happily go back again!
Thanks!

2  Thank Minimoogman
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Amazing tapas, lovely atmosphere. Good price. Ordered 8 tapas between 2 people and it was enough, this cost £36 which is pretty decent for some amazing tasty tapas. All comes on a lovely board and is perfect for sharing, can't wait to go back!