“Actually pretty good”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Teppanyaki style Japanese food
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've been twice - for lunch, which was cheap and tasty (7 quid for a huge bento box - this is very good value for money), and for dinner which was tasty but definitely not cheap. Two of us spent about 60 quid / head, mostly on sushi / sashimi and a small amount [honest] of sake. But it was very tasty. Decor is a bit naff, but staff are friendly.

Infinitely better than its odious competitor across the road, obviously. It's not perfect, but I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Have been here before but I think it has changed hands. It now tags itself as pan Asian but my satay was just melted peanut butter & my katsu curry had potato & carrots in the bottled sauce.
The original sushi belt now isn't running with a token chef stood in the middle of it. The island is now cluttered & the chef was texting on his phone.
All in all a very poor attempt at Asian food.

1  Thank Jueb0bs
Reviewed October 1, 2012

On a positive note the main staff were very friendly and accommodating. the food was nicely presented and good portions - the "starters" in particular were excellent. The meal including
drinks was good value. On a negative note the restuarant does need upgrading and as previous reviewer mentioned the menus have seen their day.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

It's very annoying that the food here is so good, because we've decided to call it quits and stop coming here because the staff are unbearable. We are always faced with people that just act like they would rather us not be there.The last and final time we went we ordered most of our usual favourites and pointed it out on the menu to the waitress. When she brought our food out, one of the dishes was wrong, We had ordered a handroll and she had brought something different (again, despite pointing it out on the menu) We asked her politely to take it back and asked for what we ordered.She said it was made now so would we like it for the same price as the handroll as it was much more expensive. We said OK as we hadn't tried it before.

When it came to getting the bill, she had charged us full price for the wrong dish. When I said it was wrong and reminded her what she said, she started actually raising her voice to me and calling me a liar. We didn't want to fight so paid the full amount, left with no handroll, left no tip and will NEVER return.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is the 4th time or so I've been to Masa this year. Normally the service is fairly sluggish, especially if you order from their all-you-can-eat fixed-price menu. However, this last time I was really disappointed.
The food itself is good. When it arrives. The chicken rice dish is particuarly good.
However, having to constantly wait for 30 mins for the next dish to arrive, having to remind the waiters what dishes they'd forgotten to bring, and watching the restaurant seemingly giving preference to tables that were paying per dish, didn't make for an enjoyable evening. Myself and my family felt like 2nd class citizens.
In addition, there isn't a way to get hold of the restaurant afterwards through their web site to raise issues. They only have telephone numbers and not e-mail addresses or feedback forms. I did attempt to contact them via their booking form, but have had no response. I will thus be voting with my feet and spending my 90+pounds per visit elsewhere.