“Awful!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Awful!!”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We went here on October 1st. What a shambles. Despite only being a quarter full, it took 15 minutes to seat us and then there were used glasses on the table.
Having bought a voucher from Groupon, we were supposed to get a starter, main course and a drink for two to the value of £40. The first thing we noticed was that the most expensive items would have brought our food bill to no more than £24 excluding the two drinks. When this was pointed out to the manager, he did agree to give us an extra starter rather than a refund, which meant gorging ourselves in order to get our monies worth!
It took half an hour for anyone to ask us about our drinks and then took an hour for our starters to arrive. When we did order drinks, despite having an array of pumps on the bar, they had no draught beer. Then they ran out of white wine, leaving red wine as the ONLY option (this was at about 8.30pm).
When the food did arrive it was dreadful. The fish tagine had a few pieces of anaemic looking fish in it and the vegetables were clearly cooked from frozen - all watery and limp. The vegetarian option was bland and boring.
The people on the table next to us had to ask the manager for salt and pepper, which he promptly gave them from our table, only to discover that they were both empty!
We did manage to squeeze a couple of extra drinks out of them to bump up our bill to the value of £40 but this was quite simply the worst dining experience I have ever had. AVOID!!

Southampton
“Poor, very poor...”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

What can I say, Waiter was friendly, place had potential hower:

Bar had old pumps (perhaps an old wine bar?) but didn't serve any draught beer. So If you were attracted by the Kronenbourg adverts outside - you will be disappointed they don't sell it.

They served up "ok ish starters" but nothing great.

Then the main courses: Both my main and my wifes main were awful. Bland Bland food with ROCK hard uncooked vegatables. Lamb was fatty and dreadful.
The Cous Cous turned up late as did the Morrocan bread .
My Son couldn't finish his. I was
really very cross with the whole meal as I felt I had wasted an evening and money.

Parking is also a nightmare.

If this is Morrocan food -I'm not going to Casablanca!!

I walked out wishing I'd gone somewhere else.

If this place is still open in 6 months I'd be suprised!

1 Thank Bigmarkie
UK
“Same old same old....”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Due to or previous unsuccessful visit (see other review) and having seen the improved reviews we decided to try again to use our groupon voucher. Alas, when we tried to book, none of the phone numbers were operative so we were unable to do so. As we were going to be in town anyway, we decided to try visiting in person instead.
Arriving at 9pm the place was empty apart from 1 table. Again were told that there was limited choice and that we should try another time as we should have booked! We explained that we tried ringing on various occasions, but the phone lines appeared to be out of use. His reply was that he had told the manager that and that he should sort this out. Is it just bad luck? You decide...

2 Thank Jacqui27
Bristol
“a date to remember...”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I must admit, I've eaten at Tan Tan a fair few times - each time I've been, the quality of the food, service and selection at the bar have improved greatly.

When I first visited the restaurant (just after it opened), there wasn't much choice when it comes to drinks. Nor food. But you know, it was new.

After a few trips, I noticed each time, everything improved. The staff were trained rather than youngsters in black shirts, the food was always delivered promptly and with a smile and even after half a glass of wine, you'd be asked whether or not you'd like a refill!

On one occasion, when me and a few other friends visited the restaurant (after my booming reviews), the chef himself came out to us, apologising profusely, explaining that all of his chicken had spoiled overnight. We all said our "that's okay" and "not a problem, I'll have the lamb" to which he said, if it would make us happier, he would send someone to a local supplier while we enjoyed a complimentary sheesh pipe.

I think that was a marvellous idea! Don't get me wrong, a waiting time between any two courses is never good, but I think when the chef organised for us to experience a free sheesh (which are usually about £10 a pop!) you can't really complain!

Anyway, this is a new business in a niche market, selling a product that not necessarily everyone will appreciate. I still happily eat there at least once a week without complaint.

• Visited August 2011
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Getting better”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I was prepared for the worst and was pleasantly surprised. The food was ok. Wine was fine and I was offered 3 choices. They do need a wine list though. Service was excellent. The manager and waiter were very attentive. Food came quickly and was hot. I would consider visiting again.

• Visited August 2011