Toad Lodge Guest House
$71
$110
$107
  • Restaurant
All reviewscooked breakfast and toastwarm roomfull english breakfasttea and coffeeenjoyable stayminute walkensuite
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed at Toad Lodge for a period of 3 months when I first came to work in Bristol several years ago. I loved it immediately. It is a beautiful house (if a little shabby) in a lovely area and the many toad decorations are just charming. Over the period of my stay I came to know the owners quite well and they truly made me feel at home.

As other reviewers have said the breakfast is good, the rooms are clean and the cost is reasonable but it is the quirkiness and originality of the place that make your stay a truly unique experience. I would stay there again with pleasure and have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Denton50
Reviewed July 26, 2011

First of all, when I booked my room on the phone for one night and was just asking whether there are more nights available, I wasn't treated nicely and was asked whether that I was still staying that night or not. Arriving at the place, a distinct smell of urine welcomed me and the lady who asked me to pay upfront. I was told on the phone several times that I have to pay straight away but I thought I give it a go anyway. I booked an ensuite room which turned out to be a twin room with extremely small beds. As I was shattered, I slept well but the next morning I was disgusted by the hygiene of the bathroom facility. It comes worse though: I had to ask them to leave my luggage near the reception for my friend to pick it up. The luggage was left unattended and unlocked somewhere near the reception and when my friend came to pick it up, she wasn't even asked for identity.
If you want to stay in Bristol, be prepared to pay a couple of pound more and then you'll get something worth the money but this lodge needs a complete make-over. Horrible!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We read mixed reviews about this place before we booked, but still went just to see what it would be like. Yes, the place and the owners are very eccentric, but that just adds to the place :) Toads EVERYWHERE ! ... even on the bedding :)

Dont come here and expect Holiday Inn quality - its a small B&B, but the people were really friendly, the room was nice and clean, and the service at breakfast, along with the food itself, was second to none :)

We will definately be going again - see you soon Mrs. Toad !

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank rachelmunford
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Toad lodge is different, very different from most hotels or B&Bs. I won't take up space describing its quirks, needless to say it's unlikely you've stayed anywhere like it.

Pros: the price is excellent; parking is generally available; location is brilliant for uni/town; it's a break from the uniform drudgery of Travelodges.

Cons: service could be better, seems to be more about the needs of Madame Toad rather than the customer (apart from the breakfast guy); breakfast isn't brilliant (but there is a good selection); on-site parking is not guaranteed, despite being described as such.

In summary - you are not going to get an amazing experience from staying here. You will get a very reasonably priced sleep with breakfast in a highly convenient location.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Sullivans2011
Reviewed February 2, 2011

never trust ANY hotel that asks for payment up front before you've even seen your room. think adams family crosseed with steptoe and son and that gives an idea of how dated and rough this place and it's owners were. awful decor and beds were like cheap camping beds

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family