“Well looked after”

Victoria Square Hotel
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We really enjoy the Victoria Square Hotel and always stay there when visiting Bristol. It's very comfortable and friendly, with a good buffet breakfast and if we need anything at all it is taken care of. The location is perfect as it's in beautiful Clifton and it also has a convenient car park behind.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tanya F
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Wonderful feedback – we want to ensure all our guests have everything needed to enjoy their stay & to leave feeling well looked after. Thank you for your kind comments, glad you enjoyed your stay – we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Booked a large double and it really was that. Huge comfy bed, generous tea/coffe/hot chocolate etc and hurrah - the offer of a jog of fresh milk instead of the sterilised stuff in the cartons! The bedroom was spotless, everything worked fine and the staff were lovely. Can't comment on the breakfast as I had room only, but the would thoroughly recommend staying here, especially as a base for exploring clifton and Bristol centre

Room Tip: I chose a large double - didn't see the other rooms. The room was at the back of the hotel and n...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in one of our large double rooms and that you appreciated the complimentary fresh milk we provide on request – I totally agree it is far nicer than the uht pots! Delighted you would recommend us. Thank you again for the positive feedback - we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Lovely place right in Clifton, the free car park is real bonus as the parking around there is just mad, I have to say the most comfortable bed I can remember wasin room 217.

Excellent self service breaks, efficient check in and out.

Would recommend and will return.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel and the bed to be comfortable! Thank you for taking the time to write a review - We look forward to welcoming you back to Clifton soon!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Booked a single room and it was 'single' (not a single occupancy double). It was very small but it had everything I needed once I got used to the size and more importantly it was clean.
The bed was very comfortable and I slept well (and I struggle to sleep away from home). The staff were faultlessly attentive, helpful and friendly.
My only issue was the shower which varied between a trickle and a dribble. No exaggeration. I t took me ages to have a shower.
Acid test - would I come back there? Not unless they fix the water pressure on the shower.
Best Western take note - it's the last thing most of us do before leaving and it needs to be a deluge ............not a dribble.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the single room to be comfortable. They are very compact and best for shorter stays only. I am delighted that you found the staff to be faultless, providing the best service to our guests is the main priority and it is great to have this feedback! I am so sorry about the shower, some of our second floor rooms do suffer a bit with the pressure we have a plan in place to correct this which should be actioned soon. I do hope you shall return please call us directly so we can assure a comp upgrade for you!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here last weekend. Room rate included car parking and breakfast which is unusual for many hotels in Bristol. Room very nice and clean. Breakfast was very good, buffet style but good choice, including bacon, egg and sausage.(Well, you have to, don't you?!) The location was also good, very close to Clifton which is great to mooch around on a Sunday morning (room checkout was 11am) loads of interesting shops.Also very close to Whiteladies Road where there is a good choice of restaurants and bars, perfect for parents visiting their student children! And you don't ever feel unsafe. Sorry, drifted off the hotel a bit. Basically it's really nice, the staff were very helpful and friendly and the room good with a comfy bed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Victoria Square Hotel. Clifton Village is a lovely location & a very good area of Bristol – I totally agree it does feel very safe! Thank you for your kind review we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I often stay here when travelling on my own on business because I like the high, internationally reliable standards of this global chain and the friendly attitudes of the staff and many of the "regulars" - also business travelers - at this particular hotel. On this occasion my husband was with me. The room was large and comfortable - great for my allergies/asthma as it had a "wood" laminate floor, very clean low allergy bedding and excellent shower. Good desk and free internet access of course. We found the staff very genuine and helpful as well as efficient and we liked the informal and friendly bar atmosphere. Breakfast food was ok too. Generally I find this place free of many of the downsides of Bristol (damp & mould, overconfident staff, insularity in attitudes and standards) but being as it's an old building the plumbing is always a little interesting and the car park is an acquired taste - I admire the driving abilities of those who get big vans in there! I'll be back next week and probably any other time I need to stay in Bristol for work.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter and have a nicer view, rooms in the basement and the annex have better...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review of which I have printed a copy for the staff who are delighted with the feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed the service and the atmosphere in the bar. We look forward to seeing you again next week and are so pleased to have your regular custom.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed with two girl fiends for a Christmas shopping break. We stayed in a family room at the hotel which was clean, comfortable and perfect for our needs. The hotel is located in a quiet square very near to the bars and restaurants of Clifton village which was ideal. The car park is small and was full when two of us arrived but there was plenty of parking near the hotel on the square. The service from reception staff was friendly and genuine which was very nice to see.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank RKMS151
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

I am delighted that you found the hotel to be good value for money & that you enjoyed our location in Clifton Village. Our reception team is really focused on providing excellent service to our guests & I have passed on a copy of your review to them. I am so pleased you enjoyed your Christmas shopping break (Bristol does have some excellent shops!!) We hope to see you again when next visiting Bristol!