Victoria Square Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Ibis Bristol Centre(Bristol)(Great Value!)
$64
$120
Hotels.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel(Bristol)(Great Value!)
$82
$150
$131
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmain buildingno liftcar parksuspension bridgegarden roomclifton areasash windowspoached eggslower floorsmall roombus stopexcellent locationpleasant hotelshower roomself servicecomfy bedbreakfast staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting our daughter at university. The location was perfect as her house is only 5 mins away. The price was good for a hotel in the middle of town. It was close to restaurants, shops, etc. Breakfast was well laid out, plenty of choice and more than enough. The staff were friendly and helpful. It was quiet and warm.
However, the room was very small, it was a tight squeeze to walk round to the far side of the bed without climbing over it. There was virtually no water pressure from the hot water tap which made showering quite long and difficult.
I would stay again, just in a larger room as long as the price wasn't too high as the overall experience was a good one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased that your enjoyed your overall experience at the hotel and found it value for money. As we are an old building a lot of the rooms are various shapes & sizes. We distinguish between standard doubles and large doubles, which provide more space, these are typically £10 extra per night. I do hope you will choose us again in the future!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

As my wife is disabled and unable to walk very far or traverse any stairs I make a strong point when booking hotels to elaborate on the fact by asking 1) is there a lift 2) are there ground floor rooms 3) are there any stairs or steps. Sadly when trying to book the Victoria Sq. Hotel in Bristol the reception staff to whom I spoke appreciated none of these points. I was offered the 'ground floor garden room' well and good, but was not informed that it was in a different building from the dining room, it was a short walk across a muddy parking lot and through a gate, there were eight steps up to reception. Needless to state we did not stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Coalabear
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

I am sorry that you did not find the room allocated to you appropriate for your needs. Our garden room is accessed via French doors and therefore can be accessed without using any stairs. Our reception & dining rooms are up a short flight of stairs in the main building (Victorian style of town house). We offer breakfast as room service for our guests that are unable to use stairs. We have had many guests use this room and been delighted with it.
The layout of the hotel should have been explained more clearly to you on the phone so that you could have decided it was not suitable before booking. This is our normal procedure and I am very sorry that the description given on the phone was not accurate enough. The reception team have since been re trained on this. The hotel does not have a lift as the building is listed; we are very clear on this. We offered to help find you alternative accommodation and I do hope you enjoyed your stay in Bristol.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

It's not often I find a Best Western that is tired and lacking but this one certainly was. A great location near the city centre, a free on site car park were sadly the highlights. My room was in a side building with poor outer lighting for access. Up two flights of wearing carpeted stairs I found myself in a decent sized room but definately on the tired side. Tiny TV, basic bathroom , clean but basically tired.
Staff were not overly smart but did have a smile. Breakfast was passable [strange eggs?] but ok.
The hotel has great potential but for the moment not one I would recommend

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank margatekid

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel’s location & the free car parking. We are in the process of updating our bedrooms with feature walls, wallpaper, artwork etc. Many have been done already and we are hoping to complete on the last few by the end of January. This Winter we are also planning to redecorate the hallways & dining rooms. We keep our rates as competitive as possible for the location and offer standard doubles & large doubles. We have poached & scrambled eggs served at breakfast. I do hope you will choose us again in the future.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have been a regular guest at this hotel for several years now and never look any further. Kristie and the rest of the staff are friendly helpful and pleased to assist in making your stay welcoming and comfortable. The location is ideal also; just a two minute walk into Clifton village if you fancy boutique restaurants, wine bars or old English pubs.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review for the hotel! We are so pleased you feel the hotel is like your second home and to have your regular custom! I have passed on your kind comments to the staff. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here on number of occasions in both buildings and both in the gods and in the basement. As the stairs may be an issue for some people I am sure a suitable room could be arranged in advance to avoid any such problems. I can however vouch for the consistency in facilities, quality and cleanliness throughout the hotel. I can also recommend the relaxed warmth and friendliness of the staff and the quality breakfast. There is free parking if spaces are available and the hotel is in a lovely area of Bristol. I was happy to walk from the hotel to Millenium Square and back on a daily basis which can be 12 minutes down through the back streets or longer past the shops down Queens Road and Park Street, many peoples favourite shopping street in Bristol.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but you may wish to avoid the stairs. I have never had a bad room here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for your review and for your continued business at the hotel! I am delighted that you have been pleased with every room you’ve had, breakfast, the hotel’s location and the staff. I am thrilled with the way the front of house staff work to ensure guests are well looked after, it’s great to hear that our you feel cared for by them! We look forward to welcoming you again soon.