“Good Location”

Victoria Square Hotel
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed June 25, 2012

A good central location with small bar and reception area, limted parking so get there early.

Rooms clean and comfortable, breakfast good.

Evening meals ok but very limted menu but good quality.

Close to bars and resturants so no problem if you want to eat out

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for your review I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our location in Clifton. Thank you for choosing the Victoria Square Hotel, we hope to see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Victoria Square Hotel

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Ive been staying in premier inn haymarket for a week now but booked for best western last night as it was a bit expensive in premier inn for a saturday (£83 for 1 person room only). Best western charged £59 for a single room. Its a 6 minutes drive from bristol royal infirmary so its not too bad. Arrived in the hotel at 9am, parking is limited but there are public parking nearby. I was greeted by a friendly receptionist and told me my room is on the annex. The building was old ( i did expect that ). Stairrs squeek every step, carpet is worn out and the place is dated. Its actually creepy. The single room is sooo tiny. The door has a gap underneath, toilet is ok but thete are cracks on flooring. The kettle is dusty, tv is ancient ( no remote ) and the bed is sooo uncomfortable. Its cheap and its not for those who are used to firm orthopedic
bed. It was a ling sleepless night for me as it was noisy outside ( people come and go so floor an door squeeked all the time, you can hear clearly the chatting
next door, you can hear the road noise
and i ended up tossing and turning trying to get a better position so i can get a sleep. I left at 5am.
Do yourself a favour, if you need rest, best to pay extra money. I wish i just stayed at premier inn which is only 2 minutes walk from the children's hospital, its right in the city centre but its quiet, bed is very comfortable, it has a bath and shower is powerful. And there is tesco express accross the road.

• Stayed: June 2012
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We have 3 single rooms in the hotel, all are very compact with single bed, desk, chair and wardrobe, but with a good size en-suite. We price the rooms accordingly for anyone wanting simple value accommodation. As you said the rate we charge for the single room is £59 versus £83 for a premier inn. The Victoria Square is in Clifton with many excellent boutique shops and independent cafes close by (as it happens there is a Tesco Express within 2 mins walk). I am pleased you found the receptionist to be friendly.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed over the Bank Holiday weekend as a last minue trip away. We cannot fault the staff, both the young man on reception and the young lady running breakfast were friendly, helpful and attentive so Bravo to them both and the location is fantastic.
However, the room, which was not a bad size for two adults and 1 child, and being high ceilinged helped make it seem larger, the decor and was tired and shabby. There were two awful pink/peach wall lamps which were both broken and hanging off and the curtains were tastless and limp looking. The shower was no more than a trickle and when we ran a bath for our son the water was tepid. The bed linen was fresh and clean and the bed, although not the most comfortable, was fine. A lick of pain was needed and some decent, tasteful decorations and soft furnishings would make the room so much more inviting.
It is such a shame as the place could be great if some money was spent. The dinning room has wonderful bay windows which lets the light flood in, the rooms have the original sash windows which open fully and the staircase is big and light with a beautiful stained glass centre panel. The hotel is in a fantastic location being 10 minutes walk to the centre of Bristol and 10 minutes walk from teh Clifton Suspension Bridge. Just accross the park in front is a wonderful array of coffee shops, cafe's etc so plenty of choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the Victoria Square Hotel. We are in the process of upgrading the bedrooms including re painting, feature walls, new artwork of the local area, lighting and curtains. Unfortunately the room you stayed in is one of the next due for some upgrading! The family rooms are a good size and as you say have nice crisp bed linen, and sash windows with leafy views! We keep our rates very competitive for Bristol and can always offer the best prices when contacting the Victoria Square Hotel direct!
I am very pleased you were happy with the staff, customer service is taken very seriously and the staff are very conscious of ensuring guests enjoy their stay.
I am so pleased you enjoyed our privileged location in Clifton and were able to take advantage of all the area has to offer! I hope you shall consider using us again in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Got bed and breakfast for a great rate through Best Western dot com. Upon checking in I got a free upgrade to a larger room. This room by all accounts was much larger than the room given to my colleague much to his dissapointment.

The hotel is located about a 15 minute walk from Bristol City Centre, the walk to the City Centre is a straight shoot down hill and when I say down hill I mean really down hill, I took a taxi back.

The staff on reception were very friendly, efficient and I was checked in quickly. My room was in a seperate building but was extremely spacious. The room only had a CRT TV which is very unusual these days, also the fact that this was one of the premium rooms it left me feeling the room was very dated.

The wireless internet is awful, signal keeps dropping, facebook was taking more than a minute to load.

The bed while big was created by pushing two beds together so there was an awful ridge in the middle of the bed.

The shower, was great, hot and powerful.

I would probably stay in this hotel again. I would feel ripped off if I paid more than £65 for a night here though.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and efficient. We aim to ensure every guest feels welcome and has everything they need to enjoy their stay.
All the TVs in our rooms have digital channels, a few of the rooms still have larger old TVs however the vast majority now have new 22’’ LG Flat Screen Tvs and soon the remaining rooms will also be upgraded to these.
We keep our rates competitive for the area and are dedicated to delivering good value to our guests. Some of our rooms have Zip and Link beds so can be twin or super king. These rooms tend to be larger. We of course have rooms with standard double or queen beds also.
Thank you for choosing the Victoria Square Hotel, we hope you shall choose us again in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

stayed on 03/06/12. had mistakenly booked through a website on the wrong days and turned up on 02/06/12 to find that no room had been booked. even though it was our mistake, the man working on reception (sadly, we did not get his name) was so friendly and helpful and called around all of the local hotels for us to help us find a room for the night as they were full. He booked us a room at a different hotel of the same chain, further away from the centre, this was our choice of the options we found on our own searches.

It was his friendliness which resulted in us returning to this hotel the following night to stay, where he recognised us and enquired after our stay at the other hotel. he simply could not have been more professional, helpful and friendly.

the room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, the hotel had character. The toiletries were a disappointment as they did not contain what was shown on the bottle, and we were not able to adjust the heating ourselves. the hair dryer overheated when i dried my (short) hair.

the hotel is very centrally located, and we had no trouble parking (for free) in the hotel car park. i would be very happy to stay there again, and would recommend it for the location, staff and cleanliness.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you so much for writing such a king review! It was my pleasure to accommodate you at the weekend! I am very pleased that you were happy with arrangements made to stay at an alternative Best Western hotel on the 1st night and that you were still able to enjoy the weekend!
I shall look into the issues raised with the toiletries and hairdryer immediately!
Thank you for choosing the Victoria Square Hotel we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

we arrived 2pm sun 13th may 2012 . we were greated by a eastern european girl at reception.who booked us int room205 ,she was the most pleasant and helpful young lady you could wish for . the hotel restraunt was closed at the time so this lovely girl directed my wife and myself to the nearest eating places ,even following us out of the hotel with a map . the followng morning the same beaming smile greated us at breakfast . she ran everywhere at double time ensuring everyone had their needs fulfilled . what an absolute asset to the hotel . the breakfast was very nice and plenty to choose from . our room was clean and comfortable . the hotel has a very good location . overall a very pleasant stay

Room Tip: our room was 205 i expected it to be noisy at night but it wasnt
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Thank you for your lovely review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay! I have passed on your kind comments to Agata who is very pleased with the feedback! She works extremely hard to look after each and every guest and I fully agree she is an asset to the hotel!
Thank you for choosing the Victoria Square Hotel, we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I hesitate to write this as it's a hidden treasure! The garden room, a ground floor twin, is the one to ask for if its available.
I was on a business trip and the company arranged the booking. Thanks to advice on Trip Advisor I learned about the second floor steep stairs. As I have a recovering broken ankle and am still on crutches I thought there could be an access problem. The desk staff on the phone were excellent, friendly, quick to advise and offer assistance. Similarly when I first reached the hotel I mastered the seven (?) steps at the entry, though they had offered to get to me if I couldn't reach them. The room they had arranged was an unexpected delight. Comfortable
twin beds with crisp white bedding, a newly refurbished shower room with lots of space and set up for disability use. Next to the smallish car park it has its own garden gate and french windows onto a small private lawned area. The first decent weather for months meant we could sit outside till dark around 10, (happy coincidence that we had our own portable chairs with us) and smell the portable BBQs from nearby Victoria Square.
We chose to eat out locally for our evening meal, there are myriad good choices. Clifton village is very close by, it also has a useful small Tesco Express .
Breakfast the next morning was in the dining room on the same level as reception. the food was fresh, and staff were efficient and helpful.
There is fast free wifi and the usual offer of a daily paper. At £79 for two B&B its hard to beat.
There is only one issue. It is an old house, in a row of others, a period stone property, hence stairs etc, and the floor above us had some mighty creaks that we didn't notice until the early hours. This was however a very short lived disruption.

Room Tip: The garden room is a real delight separated from the main hotel by the entrance to the car park Its...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Majen1
MichaelHamilton, Manager at Victoria Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Thank you for your kind review and for sharing the secret garden room!!! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and so pleased you have been able to take advantage of using the garden during this fab weather we’ve been having (long may it last!) Thank you for choosing the Victoria Square Hotel, we hope to see you again!

Ps. I hope the broken ankle heals soon!