“Good food, terrible service. ”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #229 of 1,735 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I was there with a group of eight, four of us got our food within 15 minutes and the rest of us had to wait 40 minutes. It meant that none of us were eating at the same time. On top of that we were then accused of not paying for one of the meals. Not a single apology was given for the wait. It was a shame because the place looks nice and the food was good but I would not be persuaded to come back. The attitude of the staff was really terrible!

Kings Arms W, Owner at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Hi Caitlin.
I am sorry that you felt our service let you down and you had to post such a negative response about us.

Your party of 8 all ordered and paid for food and drinks separately at the bar. This meant a 10 minute gap between the first check and last check reaching the kitchen. It also meant that the first checks were being cooked and well on their way before the last checks hit the kitchen. Due to a very busy day we were running short on our home-made burgers and had none left for the the last people in your party. We offered to make a new batch and said they would take 20 minutes to prepare and this offer was accepted by your party. This meant there was always going to be a minimum 30 minute gap between the first and second half of the order. Generally the kitchen will try to catch-up an order like yours so all meals can be served together, but not in this instance with having to prepare new burgers. When you said why couldn't the kitchen hold the first meals back in order for you to all eat together. I wonder what your review would have said about eating food that had been sat under a heat lamp for 30 minutes....

When the last meals were sent out, it became evident that one burger was missing - this was quickly rectified within two minutes. However, due to only having 7 checks for 8 meals, I came to your table to ensure that you had all received the meals you had ordered and there wasn't a mix up with another table. To say I accused you of not paying is blatantly untrue - I was merely trying to ascertain where the confusion had arisen

The positive aspect of your review is that we no longer allow large groups to order individually at the bar - it creates dis-order in the kitchen and disgruntled customers at the bar.

Hopefully we will see your party back again in order to test this new policy!

Kind regards

Alison Weaver
Owner

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I've been here many times for drinks and dinners over the last 2 years-it's never disappointed, great menu and friendly staff and they allow dogs which for me is always a selling point.
Lovely atmosphere with candles everywhere and plenty of seating.
I recently also booked it for an event with work and used their facility upstairs to have speakers and presentations, the pub put on a brilliant lunch and the day ran like clockwork thanks to Alison and her team-would thoroughly recommend for both friendly catch up and more formal do’s.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Well, it is opposite the best curry house in Bristol, Kohi Noor, so it is a good place to meet, it does have an outdoor part, and the food here is not bad. Last visit though I did think my drink was underfilled, and when I complained the barman literally refused to speak to me and just walked off! It is the only time in my life a barman has not only refused to fill the glass to the pint line, but also walked away from the customer...Not returned since, and don't intend to

2  Thank drbennyb

Hi Drbenny,

Since speaking to you (PM) I have had a few thoughts that may explain your bad experience.

Some of our branded glasses are oversized - called 'pint to line'. This is a Continental fancy that allows a very large head to be poured on the pint whilst still giving the full measure of lager. However we Brits have not embraced this and it has caused several customers to think their pints are under-filled. As such we are phasing them out.

Regarding your observation that you were ignored and a member of staff walked away from you, I am hoping that the explanation is simple....if you visited us on a busy evening, the acoustics behind the bar are awful and unless a customer is standing right in front of the member of staff, it is difficult to hear what is being said.

If, however, you were deliberately ignored (although I cannot imagine a member of my staff being so rude) I apologise unreservedly.

It is good to know that you are still coming in for drinks though.

Best wishes

Alison

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Eleven of us had dinner in this restaurant and without exception it was felt that this was a really well run establishment selling really superb food in an extremely smart,stylish and relaxing environment.
The pigeon breast starter was perfectly cooked, mushroom soup was perfect , the steaks were amongst the best we gave gad and the hearty deserts were really something.
This is NOT a pub but a quality restaurant.
My friends and I were so impressed that we asked to speak with the owner/ manager . Ali duly came to see us and it was clear that it was her energy and enthusiasm that had made what was expected to be a good night into a superb evening .
Thank you Ali and all the staff.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having visited the King's Arms in its many guises over the past few years, our most recent visit was to sample thier sunday roast after some rave reviews. We were not dissapointed. It may be a bit pricey for sunday roast, but the quality and quantity did not leave us wanting. My roast belly pork was superb, and the veg and other accompaniments fresh and tasty. My wife opted for mac and cheese from the small selection of al la carte meals on offer, which was also very good. I'd also add that the burgers here are pretty amazing, its a great place for a post-work lunch or a starting point for a night out...

1  Thank matthewace