“Lacked character for a "boutique hotel"”
Review of Clifton House

Clifton House
Ranked #6 of 53 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Booked on line after visiting the website, our room was very small for a double, furniture was basic, almost like student accommodation. Shower was ok, obviously it was the saniflo type of system for the basin and toilet and was noisy. You could hear the couple next door talking and snoring. Windows rattled due to their age. Breakfast was ok, the buffet a bit tired by half eight, no hot water for tea, but was replenished on asking. Cooked breakfast very nice. This hotel is ideally located but I think I will book a premier inn for our next trip to Bristol. Functional hotel, served its purpose but not really a boutique hotel.

1  Thank lolly381
There are newer reviews for Clifton House

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for two nights and were disappointed with the level of cleanliness. On the surface it all looks very nice, but the hotel is starting to look tired and in need of repairs. There was a dead fly on the window ledge in the bathroom when I arrived and it was still there when I left. The hairdryer blew cold air only and we did not receive any toiletries on the second day of our stay. I also feel that breakfast ends rather early on a Sunday morning at 9.15 am and is not very accommodating for guests. Our breakfast on the second morning had obviously been hanging around for a while, the bacon was tough and the mushrooms looked so awful I did not even attempt to eat them. I do not normally write reviews but I don't feel that the hotel offers value for money. When I read the Manager's replies to complaints, she blames everything on the staff, whereas I believe that the culture in a business comes from the top down.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at the Clifton House for 9 nights in their family room - great value at £130 per night for 4 people. My wife had stayed there before in April. The staff are very friendly and efficient, the breakfast more than adequate even for a 15 year old boy with fruit, croissants and a good full English. The WiFi is a little patchy, but we would definitely stay there again.

As for location, you can walk to the university which was good for us as we were there for our daughter's graduation, walk to Clifton which is our favourite area of a lovely little city, and take busses into town from a stop about 200m away past BBC Bristol.

I do agree with earlier comments that some hooks would be useful, especially in the bathroom.

A hidden gem close to the hotel is The Lido, well worth a visit.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just got back from trip to Bristol for daughter's graduation. Booked the Clifton House online as it was central to where we wanted to be. Got last parking space. Parking in Bristol is difficult and so delighted car was off road. Lovely welcome to hotel by receptionist and the area was clean and tidy. Two flights up to room, carried own bags, if you have mobility issues you definitely need to check in advance that this is the place for you. Puffed by the time reached the top but that was more about my lack of fitness. Room was spacious and clean and exactly as I had expected in the picture. Had hangers, good TV reception, tea and coffee facilities, hairdryer and shower gel etc in bathroom. Didn't get wifi though even when using the password that is provided in the handbook that is in the room. Handbook for those not knowing the area was useful for restaurants etc plus other information. Room was refilled with tea and coffee the next morning and towels and bed sorted. It was extremely hot but that was due to the unseasonal weather and no fault of the hotel. Had window open all night - did pack ear plugs but that is a habit when travelling. The bed was the comfiest I have slept in when away from home. I cannot fault the staff, every single one was courteous and friendly and 5 stars for them for that. The food was excellent. The upstairs dining room was full, as was the house, and we were immediately led downstairs to the lower ground for the overflow breakfast room, which in fact was better as it was cooler being out of the direct sun that was flooding in upstairs. Breakfast was quickly delivered to the table and there was a help yourself area for tea/coffee/juice etc. Cooked breakfast was delicious. Ideal for our few days away, a good price and central location.I would not hesitate to stay again and I would recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: We were in room 8. Top floor with view of trees etc - see photo.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This trip was for a University graduation and so perfectly located. Our rooms were spotlessly clean and the beds were very comfortable. I agree with a comment I read that some hooks would be useful, especially in the bathroom, and the rooms were a bit smaller than I had expected from the photos.

Breakfast was wonderful!

Lorraine looked after us and I we found her to be friendly, helpful and exceptionally kind.

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

This B&B is in a nice area of Clifton, conveniently located for the University & Clifton village. Overall, clean & quite smart, but only at a superficial level (lots of ikea furniture and some things required some TLC!!) I stayed in a single room, which had a good sized single bed, good ensuite & most of the things you need for a short stay, including hair dryer, TV & tea/ coffee making facilities. Room somewhat overpopulated with furniture (2 bedside tables, a wardrobe & a desk all for a single!!) that made room feel unnecessarily crowded. There were also a couple of essential missing, in particular a towel rail & coat hooks! Breakfast ok, although I had to go and find someone to place my order & also didn't think much of having to make tea myself with hot water from a jug rather than boiling water - freshly brewed tea & coffee, made with boiling water, should definitely be provided at this price point. Overall I found the service disappointing - this started when I phoned to make a booking & was told in a rather unpleasant tone to phone back after breakfast! The staff I encountered during my stay were pleasant and polite, but this only went so far & I constantly felt that I had to seek out their service that should have been standard. For example, when I arrived, there was no one waiting at the desk & I had to ring the bell twice & wait some time before someone appeared. I had to seek out someone to serve me breakfast even though there were two members of staff standing chatting just outside the breakfast room. Later, when I walked past the reception on my way back to my room, a member of staff was using a mobile telephone behind the desk - very unprofessional! Also, frustrating that reception desk not open till 9am - it should be possible to check out from 7am! All these small things combined to make my stay somewhat frustrating, especially as this hotel was not cheap! Some potential but more attention to detail & better customer service needed in order for this hotel to match the prices charged.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Clifton House is a large bed and breakfast set in in the elegant roads of Clifton near to the University. It is but a a short distance from Georgian terraces of slave trade Britain. Thankfully the distance serves a purpose in it at least temporarily allowing one to put aside such a brutal history.
The hotel is large and imposing with a useful car park and tastefully decorated (or at least the new wing that we stayed in).
The hotel does need to address some minor annoyances such as a lack of hooks to hang clothes in the bathroom and better coffee. Also, the double bed is really two single beds put together and not that comfortable.

Most importantly, it really should sort of out its wifi. It did not work at all.
However, the hotel is well located and ideal for those visiting the University.

Room Tip: The luxury rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple