“Quality food, lovely restaurant.”

The Botanist Bristol
Ranked #148 of 1,677 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I was looking for somewhere nice to have a pre-Easter meal as the rest of the weekend was retty much mapped out already!.
We arrived to an extremely busy pub, nice to see, but a little daunting in regards to volume level. We were greeted at the entrance to the eating area by a friendly host who, after ensuring our table was ready, showed us to our seats.
We ordered our starters, and less than 10 minutes later my starter arrived, but somebody elses meal was offered to my wife. After realising their mistake, they took both meals away and returned 5 minutes later, apologetic, and with the correct meals. We had Lamb Kofta and Risotto balls, and both were ample and tasty.
I had a King Prawn, Crab and Chorizo Linguini (spicy courtesy of fresh chilli, and very tasty) my wife, Spit-roast Chicken, with a jus and chips with alioli (very succulent meat!).
Dessert was Chocolate Brownie for the wife and Apple and blackberry crumble and custard, beautifully presented.

The service was very good, and the prices more than acceptable.

I'd definitely return here, and would have no hesitation recommending this to friends and family.

Thank you for a nice night!

1  Thank CiderCraig

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Been in here for a drink many times, however on this occasion we decided to eat.

Menu varied, lots of choice and we all ordered. Service good nothing to complain.

Ordered some wine for main course and by the time it turned up we were close to finishing. We said don't bother and the manager came over and offered us a free glass. Fine we thought. She came back with the bottle, on the house and a big apology.

Excellent customer service, it did take too long but they clearly care and will be back for more.

The steak was excellent, together with Fish and Chips!

Good job!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We chose The Botanist for Sunday lunch because we were going to a concert at nearby St George's and enjoyed a really tasty relaxed meal. The staff, particularly the manager, were very friendly and welcoming and looked after us very well. The food, roast beef and pork, was well cooked, flavoursome and served in generous portions, and this was followed by a beautiful crumble (see photo). An added bonus was entertainment provided by a skilful magician working at the tables. The cost of the meal was very reasonable and we will definitely return when we are back in Bristol.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I walk past every day but have never clocked this place until recently. we didnt eat but the drinks were great and reasonably priced. lovely setting, Espresso Martini is a must!

Reviewed March 14, 2014

We booked very last minute for a friday night table and they were able to fit us in. We arrived early and the bar and restaurant were both packed so we ordered cocktails and risotto balls to nibble while waiting for our table. The decor was lovely, the atmosphere was lively, and the bar staff very friendly. We felt straight away that we would have a good night. The risotto balls we ordered at the bar came quickly and were tasty, and the mojitos were absolutely delicious. The waitress came to find us to let us know she'd come for us once our table was ready, which made us relaxed rather than looking around to check progress. We were seated 5 mins later than planned which given how busy they were, and that we booked last minute, I was really pleased with.
The food was delicious, my partner thoroughly enjoyed the rib eye steak especially. The waitresses were lovely and very attentive, orders taken and food delivered in good time.
I was impressed at the way our waitress dealt with a partiularly difficult customer sitting near to us, who in my opinion was being unreasonably difficult ( he was upset that another customer had earlier requested that he be asked to quieten down). She was polite and professional, and later came to apologise to us in case we felt uncomfortable.
When we refused dessert for being too full, the waitress suggested the Espresso Martini cocktail which was absolutely divine.. sooooo good!
My only criticism is that it is quite expensive, I would say too expensive. I ordered the Wholefood Salad as a main, which sounded (and tasted) delicious. But if I hadn't ordered the goats cheese for an additional £3, the main salad at £10.95 would have seemed extremely expensive for what was essentially a bowl of rocket, a sprinkling of seeds, a tablespoon of pomegranite and about 3 segments of grapefruit chopped up. It seemed more of a side than a main, non-the-less it was undeniably delicious... but I was glad I'd ordered fries to go with it!
All in all though, a fab night, with great food, cocktails and service. I would definitely go back for a treat but too expensive for a regular visit... will visit for weekday happy hour cocktails though!