“Food good, service better”

The Botanist Bristol
Ranked #151 of 1,680 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Been in here for a drink many times, however on this occasion we decided to eat.

Menu varied, lots of choice and we all ordered. Service good nothing to complain.

Ordered some wine for main course and by the time it turned up we were close to finishing. We said don't bother and the manager came over and offered us a free glass. Fine we thought. She came back with the bottle, on the house and a big apology.

Excellent customer service, it did take too long but they clearly care and will be back for more.

The steak was excellent, together with Fish and Chips!

Good job!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We chose The Botanist for Sunday lunch because we were going to a concert at nearby St George's and enjoyed a really tasty relaxed meal. The staff, particularly the manager, were very friendly and welcoming and looked after us very well. The food, roast beef and pork, was well cooked, flavoursome and served in generous portions, and this was followed by a beautiful crumble (see photo). An added bonus was entertainment provided by a skilful magician working at the tables. The cost of the meal was very reasonable and we will definitely return when we are back in Bristol.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I walk past every day but have never clocked this place until recently. we didnt eat but the drinks were great and reasonably priced. lovely setting, Espresso Martini is a must!

Reviewed March 14, 2014

We booked very last minute for a friday night table and they were able to fit us in. We arrived early and the bar and restaurant were both packed so we ordered cocktails and risotto balls to nibble while waiting for our table. The decor was lovely, the atmosphere was lively, and the bar staff very friendly. We felt straight away that we would have a good night. The risotto balls we ordered at the bar came quickly and were tasty, and the mojitos were absolutely delicious. The waitress came to find us to let us know she'd come for us once our table was ready, which made us relaxed rather than looking around to check progress. We were seated 5 mins later than planned which given how busy they were, and that we booked last minute, I was really pleased with.
The food was delicious, my partner thoroughly enjoyed the rib eye steak especially. The waitresses were lovely and very attentive, orders taken and food delivered in good time.
I was impressed at the way our waitress dealt with a partiularly difficult customer sitting near to us, who in my opinion was being unreasonably difficult ( he was upset that another customer had earlier requested that he be asked to quieten down). She was polite and professional, and later came to apologise to us in case we felt uncomfortable.
When we refused dessert for being too full, the waitress suggested the Espresso Martini cocktail which was absolutely divine.. sooooo good!
My only criticism is that it is quite expensive, I would say too expensive. I ordered the Wholefood Salad as a main, which sounded (and tasted) delicious. But if I hadn't ordered the goats cheese for an additional £3, the main salad at £10.95 would have seemed extremely expensive for what was essentially a bowl of rocket, a sprinkling of seeds, a tablespoon of pomegranite and about 3 segments of grapefruit chopped up. It seemed more of a side than a main, non-the-less it was undeniably delicious... but I was glad I'd ordered fries to go with it!
All in all though, a fab night, with great food, cocktails and service. I would definitely go back for a treat but too expensive for a regular visit... will visit for weekday happy hour cocktails though!

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We were in the dining room at the back with wonderful decor. Waitress was attentive, considerate. Food delicious. Loved it. On leaving and walking through main bar that was heaving, lively, loud music, completely different like 2 different places. Glad we didn't dine in that part. Would be good for when in party mode I presume. One doesn't impose on the other which is very cleverly done. Will definitely return.