“Fantastic weekend, great venue”

Review of The Gothic Mansion

Blue toile double bedroom with ensuite wet room ground floor
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Blue toile double bedroom with ensuite wet room ground floor
ensuite wet room ground floor
Master ensuite with Jacuzzi bathroom
One of many halls in the mansion and plenty to see
Enclosed and high gated  gardens perfect for the klids and family to enjoy.
Chesterfield lounge
stained glass stair landing, you will just love being in eloquent surrounding s of the mansion
The Gothic Mansion Bristols best kept secret!
Double boudoir
The Gothic Mansion nestled in an acre of grounds and on site car park
Grand reception hall
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Gavin W
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Avoid. One big glorified youth hostel, NOT a mansion.”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

We visited the Gothic Mansion as a large group (all in our 30s), back in July 2013, and didn't have a good experience. Intrigued to see what other people had maybe thought since, having seen the reviews, I now feel compelled to write one too.
Booking - to start with, the whole process for booking is messy. Once enquired, you need to then send Bank Transfer, and then send text messages to unknown number. Also, didn't notice when booking, but the prices quoted were not was was on the trip advisor website, so bear this in mind. Never received receipt for booking, despite asking several times. The lady (Misha) is hard to get hold, and when you do, nothing is straightforward.
House cleanliness - when we arrived, it was apparent that things were just all a bit dirty. Sink full of dirty mop water, walls dirty, dust everywhere.
The owner (Misha) made an appearance, and when we let her know, she simply stated that she prided herself on her cleaning, and it's a lot for one person to do. Not our problem, as we'd paid a LOT of money for our two night stay there, to have a lovely weekend - and we made the most of it.
The house itself is all a bit faded glory, and more like a glorified youth hostel, than anything that resembles a nice, mansion, so be wary of the photos and description. Mis-match furniture, tables which are on their last legs, etc. Fire alarms went off throughout the weekend, along with fire exit routes blocked off. Chaotic.

We paid a £500 damage deposit, which given the performance of booking, was sceptical about getting back. I was right. It took two weeks of painful emailing, texting and phoning. When I eventually got hold of Misha, she told me that there was a problem, with a broken statue on the landing. I didn't recall any statue, stating that if we didn't receive deposit back, I was taking the matter further. She came back to me later on text, stating that the statue had been moved before we arrived, and must have been the previous people that had been there. All real, dodgy stuff. We eventually got our deposit back.

This place was in no way going to dampen our spirits, and we all had a great weekend in Bristol.

It ultimately has so much potential of being something quite special. It would just need a hell of load of money chucking at it, and that ain't going to happen at any point soon.

mrpowell
“Fantastic weekend, great venue”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 for a stay in February 2014
people found this review helpful

We organised a combined stag / hen do for around 40 here after our original venue fell through. It was better than I'd expected and nicer than the original venue, there are plenty of rooms and bathrooms and lots of quirky original features. This place is hidden gem and could be used for anything from a quiet family holiday to a party. The best way to describe it would be 'full of character', highlights for me were the master bedroom we stayed in (with it's period 4 poster bed and the band new jacuzzi room) and the large country kitchen. The owners were friendly and helpful and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a venue which is nice but a bit out of the ordinary

Philgrins...
“Perfect for a big group”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

Andrew and misha were very hospitable. They organized all out entertainment and food at a very reasonable cost. The gothic mansion is very central so easy to get to the city centre. Andrew even ensured our evening ran smoothly by putting our names down on the guest list of pubs and clubs.

We had a great time and would highly recommend the gothic mansion for large groups.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
johnny d
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“the gothic gem”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

It was cold wet and windy outside, but when we entered the mansion it was so warm and inviting... The owners were extremely welcoming and had prepared all the rooms beautifully.. egyptian cotton on the beds!
This was our yearly family gathering with half our family from ireland, they were so pleased that the house is so close to bristol airport and yet it was only 2 mins from the station and the centre of bristol.
However we prefered to make the best use of the house!
It was fantastic for the kids, so much to do, wandering and playing games.. we were able to relax. We all thought the place was PERFECT for a restful weekend.
The facilites you could not fault ... there was a massive kitchen with everything we needed to cook meals for our family , all 40 !!! We could dine all in the same place and we chilled out in the back hall.. The master bedroom had an ensuite jacuzzi room, the height of luxury.!
This made for a very memorable weekend, especially as one of our family members got engaged at the house!!
We highly recommend the gothic mansion and will, ourselves, be returning !!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The beautiful 4 poster bedroom !!!
Liked least: leaving
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 65+
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
james f
London, United Kingdom
“A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 for a stay in January 2014
people found this review helpful

A group of us (30) stayed here for 3 days and I must say it was amazing. when we first arrived we were welcomed with a smile and showed around the place which I must say was impressive to say the least. when we went to unpack I was surprised at just how big and homely it was and even though it was a big place to clean they had not missed a single bit. It was spotless from celling to floor, the beds beautifully clean and crisp, bathrooms all smelt so fresh and were shining, the kitchen was well the very same, infact we could not find a single fault which was a great start to our stay.
From there on things got better and better with the management telling us the best places to go. When we came back we made the most of the kitchen which even had a dishwasher as the last thing we wanted to do was wash plates on our few days off. This made it so easy as they have obviously thought of every little thing and gone that extra mile.
Its somewhere to recommend to everyone, all 30 of us agreed and have booked again for later in the year.
A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
A1iS0n19
London, United Kingdom
“The property was not as I expected from the website and reviews”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 for a stay in December 2013
people found this review helpful

I hired the house for a weekend in mid-December 2013 to celebrate my birthday with a group of friends and family. We were a more mature/family group, wanting to spend time together in comfortable surroundings and from what I could tell the property looked well suited to us. Having stayed there, I think the house is more geared up for stag and hen party weekends where the overall condition of the house is secondary.

In summary, we found the property to be neglected and many things just didn't work. Only one shower functioned with hot water. The fridge had only one shelf and was useless for storing food. The curtains in the lounge were ripped and hanging from the rail. The majority of kettles and toasters did not work. A bed broke when my nephew sat on it. The owners told me that guests tended to treat the house poorly. For example it was explained to me that the bed probably broke due to guests jumping on it and that the fridge shelves had broken due to crates of beer overloading the shelves. It was particularly upsetting to find that the house was not in a cleanly state. Bathroom floors were sticky and grubby, carpets not vacuumed, table surfaces sticky and unwashed. On the upside, the house was warm, sheets were clean and they had put up a Christmas tree.

The administration wasn’t great. There was no contract, everything was done by limited email and text. Response times on the whole were poor.

It’s now two months since I stayed and I have still not had my damage deposit of £500 returned. The owner, Misha Simmonite, failed to substantiate her claim that we had caused damage and has not responded to further communication from me. I am still pursuing this matter.

In hindsight. I wish I'd done more research before booking this place.

Liked best: Size of property
Liked least: It's neglected state and the way I have been treated
Traveling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
TeamBob15...
Quebec City, Canada
“Read before booking”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 for a stay in December 2013
people found this review helpful

I joined a large group of friends at the house which was booked for a special event. Whilst I didn't expect The Ritz, it looked shabby and generally quite grubby - especially as it was evident not much effort had been made to clean up after previous guests. It is also in serious need of updating as there were a couple of maintenance issues which gave cause for concern (would you let a child near a tall freezer unit so unstable it wobbled?). Despite these issues we all had an amazing time due to the occasion and company.
The setting is lovely. The house is unique. Just a shame about it's faults, which could so easily be addressed.

Traveling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing